Ancient Gold!!!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Hello all, Crusader invited me to one of his fields today for my regular beating. I started off well with a hammered at the end of the first run ;D Followed by a couple of Roman and then another hammered :o By this time the tractor had caught up with us and was pushing us to the side of the field. He was coming straight at me when I dug what I thought was a gilded button :laughing7:

Turned out to be a Celtic gold Stater from 45-10bc :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

My first Celtic coin ;D

I went on to get a third hammered and beat my record for the day :o

Attachments

• P1000734.JPG
    P1000734.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 5,153
  • P1000731.JPG
    P1000731.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 5,135
  • P1000729.JPG
    P1000729.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 5,126
  • P1000726.JPG
    P1000726.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 5,124
  • P1000724.JPG
    P1000724.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 5,094
  • P1000712.JPG
    P1000712.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 5,086
  • P1000714.JPG
    P1000714.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 5,047
  • P1000719.JPG
    P1000719.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 5,024
  • P1000722.JPG
    P1000722.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 5,013
Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
I'm having a mid-Sunday Stella in your honor, Shaun. Well done! That's a beauty.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Glad to here that mate :icon_thumleft:

I actually had one too many celebratory Stella's yesterday and nodded off :laughing7:

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/309827
Here's the closest I could get, I'm now sure its a VA811-2, although it seems common practice just to label VA811 (like SS example on UKDFD).

PS -(Modified) - I'm not so sure now, as although the 811-2 looks the same its a copper core example. As the book is old & they were a scarce type, the classification is only based on a limited number, so the die variations have not been fully considered. I guess thats why its safer to say VA811, although you would think it was time to study these a little more now that we are bringing them to light :wink:

Thanks mate :icon_thumleft:

We'll find out for sure once I record it I suppose :-\

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the replies :icon_thumleft:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find Shaun...keep it up.

NJ

PS Congrats on the banner.

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
I cant say anything the others has already done, but what a hell of a find!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Thanks NJ and Swed Hunter :icon_thumleft:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
Here's the closest I could get, I'm now sure its a VA811-2, although it seems common practice just to label VA811 (like SS example on UKDFD).

PS -(Modified) - I'm not so sure now, as although the 811-2 looks the same its a copper core example. As the book is old & they were a scarce type, the classification is only based on a limited number, so the die variations have not been fully considered. I guess thats why its safer to say VA811, although you would think it was time to study these a little more now that we are bringing them to light :wink:

There's a few variations with South Ferriby Staters shaun, I think yours is the VA811-23, or spinks 390.

South Ferriby type; VA: Corieltauvian D
Obverse Abstracted head of Apollo right.
Reverse Disjointed horse left; six-pointed star below, 'anchor' (some have 10 points)

SS

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:

There's a few variations with South Ferriby Staters shaun, I think yours is the VA811-23, or spinks 390.

Reverse Disjointed horse left; six-pointed star below, 'anchor' (some have 10 points)

SS

I was looking at that one in the book last night funny enough. The horse is different, but like you say, there are a few
variations :icon_thumleft:

Just my luck...a cheap one :laughing9:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:

SS

I was looking at that one in the book last night funny enough. The horse is different, but like you say, there are a few

You want the one with the trefoil reverse in that tribe :o

SS

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:

SS

SS

Yeah, that would be handy :o

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:

SS

SS

Yeah, that would be handy :o
One was found near our Villa site :o

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:

SS

No Celtic Gold is cheap, unless your minted. Try & find another cheap one :D

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coin is Great! Cannot ask for a much better find than that, unfortunately that IS one that we won't see on this side of the pond :'( :-\ :dontknow: Oh well..... Congrats on the Banner my friend!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :icon_thumright: :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread