BIG $$$ Coin????

jmh

Greenie
Nov 24, 2004
Hello all, been a long time since my last posting here. I just have to share this with everyone. A friend wanted me to look for one of his property boundry markers. After finding the steel stake marker, I decided to check the place out. I found two pennies right off. And then it happened, I found the coin of my life. A 1895 O Barber dime. Every letter in "LIBERTY" plain as day. I have sent this coin to be graded. Was told this coin will go VF or better. Anyone else find something like this or know the worth? Will post picture when I get it back...........call me happy. jmh

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
as far as i can tell an 1895 o barber dime in vf condition is about $1000 give or take a few dollars. just an awesome find!!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hey, jmh, I'd be 'way past happy if I dug a dime like that one!

According to the latest (May 1, 2006) issue of the Coin Values supplement to Coin World, an 1895-O Barber dime in Very Fine condition has a retail value of $1,300. (Fine, $900; Extremely Fine, $2,500.)

Better enter that one in Western & Eastern Treasures' "Best Finds of 2006" right away!

D

diggit

Wow! Wow! Wow! I bet you about pee-ed your pants! I hope it's worth $2500!!!
Heather

Z

ZumbroKid

How deep was the coin? Was it a strong signal? What kind of machine?

R

rvbvetter

Fantastic find!!! Can't wait to see it. Congrats!!!!! HH

OP
OP
J

jmh

Greenie
Nov 24, 2004
I was using a Shadow detector, coin was about 5" deep in wet, black clay dirt. jmh

Attachments

• 1895 O.jpg
    1895 O.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 779

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With LIBERTY being just a bit weak, I would say it just makes the FINE condition with value around $875. Pretty dang nice if you ask me! ;)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Awesome find,
you never know
what you'll be digging up next,
makes this thing we do so fun.
Congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

Z

ZumbroKid

See this photo that is how you can tell a dug coin, their are the small scratches not visible to the eye. This helps validate the find is a real dug coin for those who like to doubt some of the posts here. Good find, thanks for the close up.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! Heck of a find. Tsgman

S

southbound

Congrats!!!! I would definitly be out in that field every day searching for more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vern

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JMH, Congratulations. I'd like to see a picture of the whole coin so I can drool. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions