Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
So I decided to do a tilled field by lumberjack town.

Notice that hunting the average plowed field in Michigan is a bit different from hunting a field down south in the middle of a CW battle area.

In fact, in some fields you could go through a set of batteries and never dig a thing.

Here's my take for the day and it ain't to pretty.

Note the closeup on the square shaped do-hicky. What is it? It's made of brass and these show up fairly frequently.

Rifle and shotgun shells are almost everywhere. I figure the shotguns come from early weddings and the rifle from deer hunting.

Upvote 0

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Normal Michigan Farm Field Digs

Cool finds, but i think they probably were for very large Libs! Tsgman

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool buckle and that is one huge round! I found a live one about that size many years ago. HH, Mike

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

BADGER, The Large Shell Casing Looks To Be A .50cal Machine Gun Round WW2. Interesting Finds. trk5capt...

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 472
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 491
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 461
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 463
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

trk5capt said:
BADGER, The Large Shell Casing Looks To Be A .50cal Machine Gun Round WW2. Interesting Finds. trk5capt...

The picture is deceiving and makes it look maybe smaller than it really is.

I was just trying to be funny. Actually the casing is 57mm and was dug in Germany.

It was recovered a few years ago in a foxhole at the location of THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE (the Battle of the Ardennes). It was found next a complete round in the container. The 57mm caliber is not easy to find! It's clearly marked and dated 1943 a WWII artillery Anti-Tank shell.

I bought this mainly because I once had a good friend who had been wounded at the Battle of the Bulge.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nice finds...That buckle is way to cool...I always like to see what you are digging up there! Keep up the great posts !

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Nice finds Badger. But you're shell is a year earlier than the Battle of the Bulge. Nice uncommon shell though!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
nhbenz said:
Nice finds Badger. But you're shell is a year earlier than the Battle of the Bulge. Nice uncommon shell though!

They stamped the shell casings when made. It needed time to be transported to Germany (1 year). Thus a 1943 shell used in 1944.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, Like the shells here, made around 43 but the battle was in 45... Had a shell like that when I was in the military living in the barracks, we used it as a ash tray! I wonder what happen to that old thing??? Had it all clean and shinny at one time! It was not from the war, just something someone picked up at a range or somewhere..
Anyway, nice finds!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave N Japan said:
Nice finds, Like the shells here, made around 43 but the battle was in 45... Had a shell like that when I was in the military living in the barracks, we used it as a ash tray! I wonder what happen to that old thing??? Had it all clean and shinny at one time! It was not from the war, just something someone picked up at a range or somewhere..
Anyway, nice finds!

Some ash tray! Pretty neat.

The Battle of the Bulge went from December 16, 1944 to January 25, 1945.

Years ago when I worked in the automotive industry there was an employee in the plant who was a surviver of the battle. Gene was one of my best friends. He told me how a sniper got his buddies but just in time he fell backward and threw him off target. Those German snipers were darn good shots and he still managed to pump a shot into Gene even after that. Gene laid there on the frozen ground all night but the snow stopped the bleeding.

It's a long story but I never forgot it. When I got the chance to get this I went for it. Now I'm just trying to make up my mind to clean it up or not.

Badger

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

5capt ]
The Large Shell Casing Looks To Be A .50cal Machine Gun Round WW2. Interesting Finds. trk5capt...

A HI my friend, that was my original impression also until I noticed the relationship of case diameter to primer dia. and associated extra stamping, , that was the clue. You do do one fine job of id'ing weapons data , keep it up.

A nice speciman Badger.

Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread