My Holy Grail, Double Eagle, What a Pit!!! **NEW PICS**

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Went back to the same yard Don and I have been excavating/privy digging for the last few trips out and did some major Earth moving. Started out near the clothes line where we felt a fairly deep privy with the 6 foot probe. Turned up a couple nice ceramics and a couple of newer(1910-20) bottles. This pit was right next to the one where we got the Sarsaparilla bottles from the 1880's-90's. :icon_scratch:

After that one was said and done we felt some good prospects closer to the garage and underneath some fir bushes. We dug like crazed groundhogs on steroids since we were running out of light. Although I carry my battery powered light, it was just too dark. Grabbed up a keeper medicine/apothecary bottle from Boston and a cool little casket flask. But it was time to leave for the night. >:(

Since this was a secluded spot with no danger of anyone getting into the hole, we left it for the next day to continue. It was about 3 feet deep at this point. So onto the next day and more crazed groundhogging(if that's a word). We were really digging two side by side pits that ended up being about 5 to 6 feet deep and then kinda connecting them in the middle. I thought we were done but decided to probe the walls of the pit as I usually do and felt some more possible glass going underneath the garage. So we tunneled a bit. Not too dangerous because the dirt is packed and rock hard till you get to the good stuff. So we tunneled and found another couple of small pint sized flasks. Some more non embossed medicines and broken glass everywhere. There were rocks, bricks and you name it. The Bottle Bombs were killing us. :(

I was nearing the back side of the pit and was completely under the garage with my shorter shovel and just scooping out some broken glass and overburden. Then collapsing the ash and dirt layer a little at a time. Then I saw it...............

:o :o :o........The sight of The Eagle!!!! Laying right on top of my shovel. Don was right next to me looking into the tunnel we had dug. I pulled it out and grabbed it up quicker than Grasshopper to the pebble! I yelled out "Please be whole, Please be whole." Opened up my hands and we were both in amazement to see the Double Eagle Flask to be in near perfect condition. :headbang: We could not tell what the color was because it was so dark outside, but looking at it with my light I could tell it was green. After cleaning it looks to be either Olive or Emerald. We took some photographs as it would have been in the pit on the shovel had I not snapped it up so fast. ;D So after that what else would be in store. I can't top it. Although Don snagged a J Hostetter Stomach Bitters too and an Iron Tonic and some straight sided cokes we had to end there and plan to continue the Trench Warfare along the garage on a future dig.

We talk about it all the time, which bottles we want to find in our lifetime and we always say The Double Eagle Flask. Well we succeeded today and then some. What a day and night it turned out to be. I will be on cloud 9 for some time to come....Thanks for looking..............Jgas

Attachments

• sc 1.JPG
    sc 1.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 5,641
  • sc 2.JPG
    sc 2.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 5,602
  • sc 3.JPG
    sc 3.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 5,585
  • sc 9.JPG
    sc 9.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 5,524
  • sc 8.JPG
    sc 8.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 5,539
  • sc 7.JPG
    sc 7.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 5,549
  • sc 6.JPG
    sc 6.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 5,555
  • sc 5.JPG
    sc 5.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 5,580
  • sc 4.JPG
    sc 4.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 5,591
  • sc 12.JPG
    sc 12.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 5,554
  • sc 11.JPG
    sc 11.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 5,533
  • sc 10.JPG
    sc 10.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 5,548
Upvote 1

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: My Holy Grail, Double Eagle, What a Pit!!!

what an awesome bottle! congrats on the well deserved banner. hard work does pay off.we dug one colonial privy only to find out it may have been dug 20-30 years ago :-[ :-\

Attachments

• privy dig with Gary 002 [].jpg
    privy dig with Gary 002 [].jpg
    58 KB · Views: 4,262
  • privy dig with Gary 004 [].jpg
    privy dig with Gary 004 [].jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4,238
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Some more pics of the cleaned up flask and others. jgas

Attachments

• f1.JPG
    f1.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 4,187
  • f2.JPG
    f2.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 4,172
  • f6.JPG
    f6.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 4,139
  • f5.JPG
    f5.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 4,138
  • f4.JPG
    f4.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,156
  • f3.JPG
    f3.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 4,162
  • f7.JPG
    f7.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,122

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some sweet bottles. :thumbsup:

Congrats on Banner.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Awsome glass !! It seems nice to see a bottle on the banner. Bottle diggin' is kinda how I got started in this madness called treasure hunting :headbang:

VPR

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one, sweet green bottle that has brought so much happiness to a selected few and I'm sure other's as well. A big congrats to earning that :notworthy: Banner that is. I need to start doing some of those diggs. I know where there is 2 1850/1830 houses that i'm sure i could get into for a privy dig ::)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bottles :icon_thumleft: all of them must be a blast digging those holes one day i love finding one .Congrats on making the Banner well deserved :thumbsup: Jim

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey 1, nice site you gave me...That is exactly like mine. And worth some coin to boot. Most likely going to enjoy this one for awhile on the china cabinet. Thanks for all the replies and again thank you for all the Banner votes. :thumbsup: jgas

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: They cleaned up very well. Interesting how you told about the lives of the people by the bottles you find. Looks great flying up there on the banner.
Congratulations .

U

umrgolf

Deepdiger60 said:
Great bottles :icon_thumleft: all of them must be a blast digging those holes one day i love finding one .Congrats on making the Banner well deserved :thumbsup: Jim

only took ya 3 hours :thumbsup:

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awsome find.. i used to dig many years ago here on the east coast and have seen some real nice bottles come out of the ground but that flask is beautiful.. i believe most come out aqua in color so having it being green is sweet... i think if you google the words antique bottle forum you will find a site simular to t net but dedicated to bottles .. not that i dont want you to post here , just another place for the bottle digger to share their finds with people more knowledgable than myself..ill tell you another thing.. years ago there was an old timer who used to go privy digging with us.. because of his age we wouldnot let him dig ,but if he kept us amused we would cut him in on the finds .at the end or the bottom of the privy this guy would bring out his homemade box with half inch screen. he would take his time and sift that dirt through the box.. you would be amazed how many times he would end up with a pocket full of large cents .. sometimes he would end up with better finds in the lasst 6 inches of dirt than we would in the other 8 foot.. just something to consider when you get into those really old privys...

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to dig a hole straight down, especially when you reach that layer and you have to be careful. You guys deserve the banner. One of the best dug bottles I have seen... Keep on diggin! Tom

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, it was the HIGH of the year for sure. I do have a screen sifter and will most likely start doing that. I have pulled out glass buttons, marbles and other things. So I am sure there are coins that fell out of some pockets while your pants were down on the toilet :tongue3:

Thanks again for the kind comments. I appreciate all the feedback ...On a side note, I went back to the same yard and found another privy 5 feet away. YAHOOOOOO.....I hope to get to that one soon and post some other finds! jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread