18th Century Sailing Ship Cufflink and few other relics

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my first fall hunt last week produced just a 1818 Large Cent and no relics I needed a hunt that produced at least one decent relic.
4.jpg

This year, 2010 has been one of my best years for old coins, but one of the worst for "special" relics. Well the hunt yesterday finally gave me one I that I really like.

I started out at the Tallyo cufflink site from two years ago, that has been somewhat good for many hunts, but the finds are petering out now, but I did find one little plain flat cuff button and a complete frame buckle, either knee or shoe, the size and the spindle location seems to contradict each other on determing for sure. But I was happy to at least get a full frame. ( I lean towards it not being a shoe buckle)
buckle.jpg
I decided to quit hunting early, after only a little more than an hour and started my 20 minute walk back to the truck, but instead of walking back directly on the dirt road, I decided to walk into the woods and walk parallel to the road, but about 50-100 yards uphill in the regular woods.
This section of woods was logged in the 60s and some areas are quite free of underbrush and I had hopes of stumbling across a unknown homestead, since this has worked in the past. About 5 minutes into the exploration I spotted a rather nice size depression in the ground, but there were only a few scattered iron hits, and I assumed the depression must have been a result of the 1960s logging operation. But about 20 feet further uphill I saw a smaller depression and as I headed towards it, the iron hits started to get more frequent.
View uphill towards Hesstown Rd roughly.jpg
OCTSITE.jpg
I had no idea still, if this was an old cabin site or just ground disturbance from logging, until I got my first diggable signal and out popped a button snap like object. Now I had hopes, just as I dug the object my Battery dead warning started sounding, so I stopped, changed my battery pack and as soon as I turned it on, and put it to the ground, I got a good high signal, possible copper coin! Nope, it was the back part of a Blowhole button, rather thick one at that. Now I knew it was in fact a homestead at one time. So I started a very thorough search and was rewarded with a Large 35mm design flat button and a few unknown hunks, but then I got a decent reading and out pops the broken section of an old trigger guard.
Oct13findsdirty.jpg
I really wanted to get an old coin, figuring with what I am finding, and occupation was most likely of a very short duration, that any coin found would be 1790s or older. But, no coins were found. Now, the find of the day, as I was combing the area just before quiting I got a funky good reading and happily a small oval cufflink appeared. It was rather uneventful looking but I know once they are cleaned, they usually have a design on them, and this site is only 5 minutes walk from where I got my similar sized Tallyo button.

Upon cleaning all the finds, I was more than pleasantly surprised to see a design starting to appear on the cufflink, at first I thought it was two initials for some reason, but once the final dirt was removed by the peroxide, a beautiful old sailing ship was staring at me!
I have seen this style before, and always wanted one for the collection, just like I wanted a Tallyo/Tallyho/Tallio cufflink. I looked on IP's Best Finds post of Cufflinks and there is a similar one there, with the flag going in the opposite direction! :icon_scratch: :D
ShipCufflinkFinal.jpg ShipCufflinkBefore&After.jpg
Another surprise when cleaning was to be had when I noticed on the gun part, there appears to be a imprinted mark on the underside, I wonder if it is a makers mark? That might help ID what type of gun or at least the era of the gun if I can find out.
makersmarkmaybe.jpg
maker mark maybe.jpg
gunpart.jpg
Oops, forgot to add the cleaned photograph of the 35mm flat design button, hard to see but in additio to the notches around the perimeter it also has several concentric circles on it.
35mm button.jpg
Overall, a nice little short hunt, and a return trip to this small new site will be in my future.

Don

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be smiling from ear to ear with that cufflink :icon_thumright:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that cuff link Don!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your past few hunts have been a true success. I am really drooling over that unique cufflink. It makes you wonder what it was trying to portray. This Colonial stuff is why I have such a passion for metal detecting.

I am leaning towards a smaller shoe buckle due to the pin terminal location. :dontknow: I would be back at that small cabin site. A Blowhole button could indicate that this site dates to the 1750s or earlier. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Don,

A post with your name on it was long overdue! That sailing ship cuff link is a keeper for sure.

I hope to see the matching link posted soon!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Your past few hunts have been a true success. I am really drooling over that unique cufflink. It makes you wonder what it was trying to portray. This Colonial stuff is why I have such a passion for metal detecting.

I am leaning towards a smaller shoe buckle due to the pin terminal location. :dontknow: I would be back at that small cabin site. A Blowhole button could indicate that this site dates to the 1750s or earlier. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Kirk, I just am not sure, yes the spindle location indicates shoe, but the size indicates non shoe, unless it is a very early 1700s buckle, which the website of buckles seems to indicate the earlier shoe buckles were smaller and the larger ones from the late 1700s.... It was hard to determine if it was square or rectangle due to the bent configurartion, but appears one side is about 1/4"longer.
From the website: http://www.netmarshall.co.uk/bucklepage19.htm
SHOE BUCKLE SHAPE AND SIZE - a general guide only as there are obviously some exceptions to the rules.
Square - under 2 inches are early-18th century, over 2 inches are after 1760.
Rectangular - 2-2½ long up to 1760, increasing to very large (up to 4 inches long) from the 1770's.
Oval to round - 2-3 inches are more common from the 1750's.

So if a shoe buckle, it could be much older than the others I have found, all of the whole ones are much larger, and most of the complete knee buckles are a tad smaller.....

Don

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Your adventure into the woods turned out great. :icon_thumleft: Beautiful cufflink. :occasion14:
Congrats,
Doug

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great finds Don. That cufflink is awsome. :icon_thumleft:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent success on the cufflink! I have yet to find a cuff link of any sort, and I'm always thinkin about them. Is this navy or marine oriented?

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffy said:
Excellent success on the cufflink! I have yet to find a cuff link of any sort, and I'm always thinkin about them. Is this navy or marine oriented?

I have no idea on what the ship might represent other than a ship of the era they lived in. I have been very lucky with cufflinks over the years and hand a nice display of them. They seem to come in bunches, then long periods of not finding a one, just like a lot of our finds. :wink:

Don

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,
Great cuff link. Good luck on IDing the gun part.
NJ

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
Don,
Great cuff link. Good luck on IDing the gun part.
NJ

I got this reply from a gun guy, not much to go on, but a start. :icon_thumright:

"Certainly the long strap of a triggerguard, either of Dutch or French manufacture. I can’t make anything of the mark though."

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that ship cufflink is awesome. The other day the water was a bit rough in the area we were hunting and we talked for a minute of what it must have been like to be sailing across the ocean in one of those. Freakin scary... that's what!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hey Don, that cufflink sure looks great, I was waiting to see a pic when you told me about it. Congrats on a great short hunt and that site looks like it will turn up much more.

Bubba65

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Awesome cufflink Don. With the flag blowing toward the front of the ship that means they had a good wind for their sails. :thumbsup: Sounds like the kind of day yours turned out to be. Nothing like the wind in your sails and going forward in this wonderful hobby. Congrats in finding something that you always wanted to.
Chris

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, that's a GREAT cufflink! And that LC is quite nice in terms of detail. Plus, you found a new site! That's a success in any book.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions