Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 18th Century Sailing Ship Cufflink and few other relics

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

18th Century Sailing Ship Cufflink and few other relics

After my first fall hunt last week produced just a 1818 Large Cent and no relics I needed a hunt that produced at least one decent relic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	461387

This year, 2010 has been one of my best years for old coins, but one of the worst for "special" relics. Well the hunt yesterday finally gave me one I that I really like.

I started out at the Tallyo cufflink site from two years ago, that has been somewhat good for many hunts, but the finds are petering out now, but I did find one little plain flat cuff button and a complete frame buckle, either knee or shoe, the size and the spindle location seems to contradict each other on determing for sure. But I was happy to at least get a full frame. ( I lean towards it not being a shoe buckle)

Name:	buckle.jpg 
Views:	721 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	461388
    I decided to quit hunting early, after only a little more than an hour and started my 20 minute walk back to the truck, but instead of walking back directly on the dirt road, I decided to walk into the woods and walk parallel to the road, but about 50-100 yards uphill in the regular woods.
    This section of woods was logged in the 60s and some areas are quite free of underbrush and I had hopes of stumbling across a unknown homestead, since this has worked in the past. About 5 minutes into the exploration I spotted a rather nice size depression in the ground, but there were only a few scattered iron hits, and I assumed the depression must have been a result of the 1960s logging operation. But about 20 feet further uphill I saw a smaller depression and as I headed towards it, the iron hits started to get more frequent.

Name:	View uphill towards Hesstown Rd roughly.jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	461389

Name:	OCTSITE.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	461390
    I had no idea still, if this was an old cabin site or just ground disturbance from logging, until I got my first diggable signal and out popped a button snap like object. Now I had hopes, just as I dug the object my Battery dead warning started sounding, so I stopped, changed my battery pack and as soon as I turned it on, and put it to the ground, I got a good high signal, possible copper coin! Nope, it was the back part of a Blowhole button, rather thick one at that. Now I knew it was in fact a homestead at one time. So I started a very thorough search and was rewarded with a Large 35mm design flat button and a few unknown hunks, but then I got a decent reading and out pops the broken section of an old trigger guard.

Name:	Oct13findsdirty.jpg 
Views:	721 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	461391
    I really wanted to get an old coin, figuring with what I am finding, and occupation was most likely of a very short duration, that any coin found would be 1790s or older. But, no coins were found. Now, the find of the day, as I was combing the area just before quiting I got a funky good reading and happily a small oval cufflink appeared. It was rather uneventful looking but I know once they are cleaned, they usually have a design on them, and this site is only 5 minutes walk from where I got my similar sized Tallyo button.

Upon cleaning all the finds, I was more than pleasantly surprised to see a design starting to appear on the cufflink, at first I thought it was two initials for some reason, but once the final dirt was removed by the peroxide, a beautiful old sailing ship was staring at me!
    I have seen this style before, and always wanted one for the collection, just like I wanted a Tallyo/Tallyho/Tallio cufflink. I looked on IP's Best Finds post of Cufflinks and there is a similar one there, with the flag going in the opposite direction!

Name:	ShipCufflinkFinal.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	461392 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShipCufflinkBefore&After.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	461961
    Another surprise when cleaning was to be had when I noticed on the gun part, there appears to be a imprinted mark on the underside, I wonder if it is a makers mark? That might help ID what type of gun or at least the era of the gun if I can find out.

Name:	makersmarkmaybe.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	461666

Name:	maker mark maybe.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	461393

Name:	gunpart.jpg 
Views:	690 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	461394
    Oops, forgot to add the cleaned photograph of the 35mm flat design button, hard to see but in additio to the notches around the perimeter it also has several concentric circles on it.

Name:	35mm button.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	461395
    Overall, a nice little short hunt, and a return trip to this small new site will be in my future.

Don
    Jeff H likes this.
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Re: 18th Century Sailing Ship Cufflink and few other relics

I would be smiling from ear to ear with that cufflink
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

us
    Jun 2010
    Carsonville, PA
    MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
    62 times

very nice! how did you clean up that large cent?

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266, Fisher 1270, Whites TDI, Garrett AT Gold
    751 times
    Banner Finds (2)

I really like that cuff link Don!

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac
    532 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

sweet cufflink Don! congrats
    Debby

May 2009
    Pennsylvania
    67 times
    Relic Hunting

Your past few hunts have been a true success. I am really drooling over that unique cufflink. It makes you wonder what it was trying to portray. This Colonial stuff is why I have such a passion for metal detecting.

I am leaning towards a smaller shoe buckle due to the pin terminal location. I would be back at that small cabin site. A Blowhole button could indicate that this site dates to the 1750s or earlier.

Kirk
    Keep the passion high!

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    215 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Hi Don,

A post with your name on it was long overdue! That sailing ship cuff link is a keeper for sure.

I hope to see the matching link posted soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk PA
    Your past few hunts have been a true success. I am really drooling over that unique cufflink. It makes you wonder what it was trying to portray. This Colonial stuff is why I have such a passion for metal detecting.

I am leaning towards a smaller shoe buckle due to the pin terminal location. I would be back at that small cabin site. A Blowhole button could indicate that this site dates to the 1750s or earlier.

Kirk
    Kirk, I just am not sure, yes the spindle location indicates shoe, but the size indicates non shoe, unless it is a very early 1700s buckle, which the website of buckles seems to indicate the earlier shoe buckles were smaller and the larger ones from the late 1700s.... It was hard to determine if it was square or rectangle due to the bent configurartion, but appears one side is about 1/4"longer.
    From the website: http://www.netmarshall.co.uk/bucklepage19.htm
    SHOE BUCKLE SHAPE AND SIZE - a general guide only as there are obviously some exceptions to the rules.
    Square - under 2 inches are early-18th century, over 2 inches are after 1760.
    Rectangular - 2-2Ĺ long up to 1760, increasing to very large (up to 4 inches long) from the 1770's.
    Oval to round - 2-3 inches are more common from the 1750's.

So if a shoe buckle, it could be much older than the others I have found, all of the whole ones are much larger, and most of the complete knee buckles are a tad smaller.....

Don

Don,
    Your adventure into the woods turned out great. Beautiful cufflink.
    Congrats,
    Doug
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Oldest U.S.copper-1847 Large cent *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button *Eagle Sword Belt Plate

May 2005
    Maine
    Minelab Etrac Fisher F75 SE
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Wow, great finds Don. That cufflink is awsome.

us
    Mar 2009
    Connecticut
    Prizm III Teknetics T2
    4 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Excellent success on the cufflink! I have yet to find a cuff link of any sort, and I'm always thinkin about them. Is this navy or marine oriented?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffy
    Excellent success on the cufflink! I have yet to find a cuff link of any sort, and I'm always thinkin about them. Is this navy or marine oriented?
    I have no idea on what the ship might represent other than a ship of the era they lived in. I have been very lucky with cufflinks over the years and hand a nice display of them. They seem to come in bunches, then long periods of not finding a one, just like a lot of our finds.

Don

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000
    90 times
    Metal Detecting

Don,
    Great cuff link. Good luck on IDing the gun part.
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by N.J.THer
    Don,
    Great cuff link. Good luck on IDing the gun part.
    NJ
    I got this reply from a gun guy, not much to go on, but a start.

"Certainly the long strap of a triggerguard, either of Dutch or French manufacture. I canít make anything of the mark though."

Don

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    72 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Hi Don!

Wow, I just love that cuff button!

Beautiful!

I hope all is well,
    Mike, Maggie and Samantha

Hey Don, great find! I would grid hunt every inch of those woods if you have not already done so.

Yep, that ship cufflink is awesome. The other day the water was a bit rough in the area we were hunting and we talked for a minute of what it must have been like to be sailing across the ocean in one of those. Freakin scary... that's what!

us
    Mar 2009
    NY
    307 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Hey Don, that cufflink sure looks great, I was waiting to see a pic when you told me about it. Congrats on a great short hunt and that site looks like it will turn up much more.

Bubba65

Jan 2007
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Whites Vision Spectra
    2 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Awesome cufflink Don. With the flag blowing toward the front of the ship that means they had a good wind for their sails. Sounds like the kind of day yours turned out to be. Nothing like the wind in your sails and going forward in this wonderful hobby. Congrats in finding something that you always wanted to.
    Chris

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ĶMax
    1706 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Don, that's a GREAT cufflink! And that LC is quite nice in terms of detail. Plus, you found a new site! That's a success in any book.

Best Wishes,

Buckles
    2014 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Three Seated Half Dimes: 1842-O, 1848-O and 1857
    1876-CC and 1887 Seated Dimes
    1876-S Seated Quarter
    185? Large Cent
    Blacksmith-Forged Picket Pin
    1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    1943, 1954, and 1963-D Quarters
    1945 and 1945-S Mercury Dimes
    1864-L Indian Head Cent
    Dateless Shield Nickel
    Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Buffaloes, and GawGag
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors