Put up with a heckler for two Coppers - Updated w/ Pics 1807, 1851 and ?? LCs

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So during my lunchtime hunt today I decided to hit a new urban park. Not five minutes into the hunt I hear 'Hey white guy, this is a black park and we didn't leave anything here for you' I cleaned that line up a little. It was an older gentleman so I did not feel threatened but I did get a lot of 'Hey white guy' lines thrown at me for the entire 40 minutes. He had me laughing most of the time I was there.

Now for the good stuff. The hunt turned up around $4 in quarters and two large cents. Did not count the pennies, nickels and dimes. One large cent is a 1807 Draped Bust...pretty worn but I can see the date clearly. The other one is a late date large cent but I can't make out the date. May be able to get a date once I'm home and clean it up a bit.

I'll try to post pictures tonight but I'm flying solo with my kids and two from one of my wife's friends. The wife and her friend are going to relax at a Yoga class while I wrestle four rug rats (I love nights like this but don't tell my wife).

Happy hunting
NJ

P.S. I think I'm going to love this park if I don't get killed first.

1807 LC Front.jpg

Attachments

• 1807 LC Back.jpg
    1807 LC Back.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 378
  • 1851 LC Front.jpg
    1851 LC Front.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 391
  • 1851 LC Back.jpg
    1851 LC Back.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 382
  • Unknown LC Front.JPG
    Unknown LC Front.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 383
  • Unknown LC Back.jpg
    Unknown LC Back.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 384
  • All Three LCs.jpg
    All Three LCs.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Put up with a heckler for two Coppers

jeff of pa said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
jamesbibb said:
PhilB said:
You were wise to ignore the heckler. I live in a rural area and don't have to contend with hecklers but I carry a handgun for protection against coyotes and feral dogs. I doubt that would work for you in a city, especially if you live in a state where you don't have a right to defend yourself. Congratulations on the nice haul in clad and the large cents! I probably wouldn't detect that park without someone with me or my .40 S&W but I'm an old fart and can't run fast enough to get away. ;D
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

People are quick to assume that because it is a black neighborhood it is dangerous. I think that we all forget that most people are NOT murderers. If you are "carrying" in one of these neighborhoods then you are asking for trouble. I have detected these types of neighborhoods including one of the poorest in the nation. Sure there were a few hecklers, but I struck up a conversation with most of them and even got a good tip of another good detecting site from one gentleman.

The bottom line is that if you do not feel comfortable, you probably should not be detecting there. Having a visible firearm is asking for trouble. It may be something that one of these hecklers would like to get from you for their own use.

Just my opinion!

Very Well Put :headbang:

In most cases they are Intrested in what your doing &
testing the Waters themsleves to see IF
they can Approach & Learn more.

Jeff,
I've spent lots of time showing people how the detector works and telling them where they could purchase a nice starter machine. I even offer that if they do get one to come out next time they see me and I will help them learn their machine. I also get a lot of people bringing coins over for me to look at for them to give them an idea of what it is and if it is worth anything. I'm always very honest about the hobby and I feel there is plenty of room out there for everyone to hunt. My only little white lie is that I play down the cost of my own equipment. I really don't want people knowing I have around $1,500 in equipment on me...I'm nice but I don't want to become an opportunity for anyone.
NJ

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

N.J.THer said:
My only little white lie is that I play down the cost of my own equipment. I really don't want people knowing I have around $1,500 in equipment on me...I'm nice but I don't want to become an opportunity for anyone.
NJ

I'm the Exact Opposite on this.

I admit I Have over $1500 in my detector.
I figure they should know even though you can buy
a $250 Dollar Machine, you can spend alot of Money too.

Different area Though,
I Have no fear of anyone,
Not that I think myself a Rambo Type,
Not even in by Worst Nightmare.
Just that I'v grown up
where Fear is a Joke.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

N.J.THer said:
jeff of pa said:
jamesbibb said:
PhilB said:
You were wise to ignore the heckler. I live in a rural area and don't have to contend with hecklers but I carry a handgun for protection against coyotes and feral dogs. I doubt that would work for you in a city, especially if you live in a state where you don't have a right to defend yourself. Congratulations on the nice haul in clad and the large cents! I probably wouldn't detect that park without someone with me or my .40 S&W but I'm an old fart and can't run fast enough to get away. ;D
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

People are quick to assume that because it is a black neighborhood it is dangerous. I think that we all forget that most people are NOT murderers. If you are "carrying" in one of these neighborhoods then you are asking for trouble. I have detected these types of neighborhoods including one of the poorest in the nation. Sure there were a few hecklers, but I struck up a conversation with most of them and even got a good tip of another good detecting site from one gentleman.

The bottom line is that if you do not feel comfortable, you probably should not be detecting there. Having a visible firearm is asking for trouble. It may be something that one of these hecklers would like to get from you for their own use.

Just my opinion!

Very Well Put :headbang:

In most cases they are Intrested in what your doing &
testing the Waters themsleves to see IF
they can Approach & Learn more.

Jeff,
I've spent lots of time showing people how the detector works and telling them where they could purchase a nice starter machine. I even offer that if they do get one to come out next time they see me and I will help them learn their machine. I also get a lot of people bringing coins over for me to look at for them to give them an idea of what it is and if it is worth anything. I'm always very honest about the hobby and I feel there is plenty of room out there for everyone to hunt. My only little white lie is that I play down the cost of my own equipment. I really don't want people knowing I have around $1,500 in equipment on me...I'm nice but I don't want to become an opportunity for anyone.
NJ

I am in agreement on the downplaying the cost, depending on who I am speaking with. The pretty ladies who occasionally ask about it should definitely know that my equipment would be about $3K, but in rough neighborhoods I tell the curious ones that they can find detectors online for less than $50.

Oh, I almost forgot...NICE GOING ON THE COPPERS!!!

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Offer to have him come over and you'll give him your next find. I've used that trick on annoying people before and it's amazing how consistent it is in getting them to immediately like and respect you.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

I would call the police! Wait, I am the police........you don't want to know what I would have done...legally of course :tongue3: Nice finds too I might add......jgas

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Sounds like a good spot! I usually deal with this by being there as soon as the sun is up, because most of the young trouble makers are still sleeping!

PhilB

Apr 3, 2009
East central Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Minelab Musketeer, MXT, Spectra V3. Tesoro Compadre and Pocket Uniprobe

Just my opinion!

I made the comment as a joke. Guess the smiley didn't convey that well enough, sorry for the misunderstanding. This is a hobby for my enjoyment and I wouldn't detect in an area I didn't feel comfortable so I agree with you on that. The last thing I would do is open carry a gun in a public place. It makes many people nervous to see someone besides police carrying.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Sounds like a great outing!
Looking forward to seeing the LCs when you can!
Keep hitting that park, Great Spot ya got !!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I added pictures above. Enjoy.

NJ

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
hey WHITE GUY i want my pennies back! gotta buy a jug! plus bats for this lap top im writing to you on wich i found in the park. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: willy

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coppers i can see the 1807 no problem good hunt :icon_thumleft: if i was going back there ? i would bring my buddy :laughing7: he,s the best and AKC registered . Jim :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Butcherboy 13th.jpg
    Butcherboy 13th.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 289

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I'm not a white guy - don't you know a albino when you see one? . ;D good for a laugh --- or try -- don't be a hater , I'm not.

we did not leave nothing for you -- reply--- your right , YOU didn't leave me jack --- but the folks that where here long before you did. :icon_thumright:

bulltab

Jun 30, 2003
I alway keep my rather large screwdriver with me, its sharp enuf to jab someone in the juggler,,on a serious side hunt it early am when no one else is around!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread