Put up with a heckler for two Coppers - Updated w/ Pics 1807, 1851 and ?? LCs

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So during my lunchtime hunt today I decided to hit a new urban park. Not five minutes into the hunt I hear 'Hey white guy, this is a black park and we didn't leave anything here for you' I cleaned that line up a little. It was an older gentleman so I did not feel threatened but I did get a lot of 'Hey white guy' lines thrown at me for the entire 40 minutes. He had me laughing most of the time I was there.

Now for the good stuff. The hunt turned up around $4 in quarters and two large cents. Did not count the pennies, nickels and dimes. One large cent is a 1807 Draped Bust...pretty worn but I can see the date clearly. The other one is a late date large cent but I can't make out the date. May be able to get a date once I'm home and clean it up a bit.

I'll try to post pictures tonight but I'm flying solo with my kids and two from one of my wife's friends. The wife and her friend are going to relax at a Yoga class while I wrestle four rug rats (I love nights like this but don't tell my wife).

Happy hunting
NJ

P.S. I think I'm going to love this park if I don't get killed first.

1807 LC Front.jpg

Attachments

• 1807 LC Back.jpg
    1807 LC Back.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 378
  • 1851 LC Front.jpg
    1851 LC Front.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 391
  • 1851 LC Back.jpg
    1851 LC Back.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 382
  • Unknown LC Front.JPG
    Unknown LC Front.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 383
  • Unknown LC Back.jpg
    Unknown LC Back.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 384
  • All Three LCs.jpg
    All Three LCs.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Put up with a heckler for two Coppers

Sounds like a good spot. Keep after it

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its a good spot alright, be polite if he does it again.

dave in iowa

Jan 29, 2008
iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Track, Minelab S.E. , and a Whites Prizm 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

have a cell phone and call the cops if you go back and the harassment continues , no one should be bullied these days..

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman said:
Its a good spot alright, be polite if he does it again.

Sandman,
Thanks for the tip. I'm always polite. I'm friendly with most of the people in the area. 99% of them are super nice. One homeless lady I saw on the news so next time I saw her I let her know I saw her. This guy just had a huge chip so when I figured out he was not joking around I just did not engage him. I did keep an eye on him because you never know if they have a weapon but at no point did I feel threatened.

Dave,
As far as calling the police for something like this in this area I would probably get laughed at. To put it in perspective. One guy that metal detects in this area had three guys surround him. One hit him in the back of the head then another grabbed his detector. Being a big guy he got his hand on the leg of one of the guys then pulled his digging tool out which was a large hunting knife. The two guys traded his detector for their friend. Later at the police station the cops asked if he nicked the guy with his knife. He said no and they told him next time to nick the guy so they could identify him.

In the polices defense this is a really tough city and they have some major problems to deal with. A little gallow humor helps lighten the mood and keeps you sane. If you ever watch that show 'Jacked' which is about auto theft. In almost every episode they drive past one of the parks I hunt.

The positive side is that it keep the detecting competition low. It is very rare that I run into anyone else with a detector although it has happened.
NJ

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Couple of large cents is worth putting up with the local wino nitwits . Move to the suburbs or even better yet , the desolatewoods , and all you have to contend with are psychotic evil mutant NAZI attack squirrels of death 8)

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI

i may move somewhere but it wont be jersey...hh

PhilB

Apr 3, 2009
East central Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Minelab Musketeer, MXT, Spectra V3. Tesoro Compadre and Pocket Uniprobe

You were wise to ignore the heckler. I live in a rural area and don't have to contend with hecklers but I carry a handgun for protection against coyotes and feral dogs. I doubt that would work for you in a city, especially if you live in a state where you don't have a right to defend yourself. Congratulations on the nice haul in clad and the large cents! I probably wouldn't detect that park without someone with me or my .40 S&W but I'm an old fart and can't run fast enough to get away. ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

N.J.THer said:
So during my lunchtime hunt today I decided to hit a new urban park. Not five minutes into the hunt I hear 'Hey white guy, this is a black park and we didn't leave anything here for you'

LOL I Think I Would have Smiled & Said
I Don't know , there may be a Few PIMP Chains Here :D
I Like Gold :thumbsup:

Anyway Sounds like it may be a Productive Park !

Congrats on the Large Ones !

Jeff

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like its worth putting on Gene Wilder's Silver Streak costume.
You have a bright plaid suit in the closet? ;D

Nice find btw.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Put on some shoe polish and hunt like your Al Jolsen....Maybe he won't recognzie you next time.Me,I would have been the one the cop's would have come and got ;D Sweet dig's though :thumbsup:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now had you been black, and had white guys telling you that it was a white park, and to get your black a** out of there, something would probably be done about it.... Just plain wrong...

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

N.J.THer said:
So during my lunchtime hunt today I decided to hit a new urban park. Not five minutes into the hunt I hear 'Hey white guy, this is a black park and we didn't leave anything here for you' I cleaned that line up a little. It was an older gentleman so I did not feel threatened but I did get a lot of 'Hey white guy' lines thrown at me for the entire 40 minutes. He had me laughing most of the time I was there.

Now for the good stuff. The hunt turned up around $4 in quarters and two large cents. Did not count the pennies, nickels and dimes. One large cent is a 1807 Draped Bust...pretty worn but I can see the date clearly. The other one is a late date large cent but I can't make out the date. May be able to get a date once I'm home and clean it up a bit.

I'll try to post pictures tonight but I'm flying solo with my kids and two from one of my wife's friends. The wife and her friend are going to relax at a Yoga class while I wrestle four rug rats (I love nights like this but don't tell my wife).

Happy hunting
NJ

P.S. I think I'm going to love this park if I don't get killed first.

if you carry your Lesche in your free hand you will be left alone! :laughing7:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

PhilB said:
You were wise to ignore the heckler. I live in a rural area and don't have to contend with hecklers but I carry a handgun for protection against coyotes and feral dogs. I doubt that would work for you in a city, especially if you live in a state where you don't have a right to defend yourself. Congratulations on the nice haul in clad and the large cents! I probably wouldn't detect that park without someone with me or my .40 S&W but I'm an old fart and can't run fast enough to get away. ;D
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

jamesbibb said:
PhilB said:

People are quick to assume that because it is a black neighborhood it is dangerous. I think that we all forget that most people are NOT murderers. If you are "carrying" in one of these neighborhoods then you are asking for trouble. I have detected these types of neighborhoods including one of the poorest in the nation. Sure there were a few hecklers, but I struck up a conversation with most of them and even got a good tip of another good detecting site from one gentleman.

The bottom line is that if you do not feel comfortable, you probably should not be detecting there. Having a visible firearm is asking for trouble. It may be something that one of these hecklers would like to get from you for their own use.

Just my opinion!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
jamesbibb said:
PhilB said:

People are quick to assume that because it is a black neighborhood it is dangerous. I think that we all forget that most people are NOT murderers. If you are "carrying" in one of these neighborhoods then you are asking for trouble. I have detected these types of neighborhoods including one of the poorest in the nation. Sure there were a few hecklers, but I struck up a conversation with most of them and even got a good tip of another good detecting site from one gentleman.

The bottom line is that if you do not feel comfortable, you probably should not be detecting there. Having a visible firearm is asking for trouble. It may be something that one of these hecklers would like to get from you for their own use.

Just my opinion!

Very Well Put :headbang:

In most cases they are Intrested in what your doing &
testing the Waters themsleves to see IF
they can Approach & Learn more.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Neil in West Jersey said:
jamesbibb said:
PhilB said:

Just my opinion!

I agree 100%...I'm definitely the minority in these parks but most people are super nice. I think they get a kick out of me because I'm somewhere you don't expect to see me and I'm metal detecting in a suit...granted I take my suit jacket off before I detect...lol. I have been in parks before where I got a bad feeling/vibe from an individual or group so I just walked back to my truck and left. As far as bad vibes go I'm an equal opportunist so it does not matter what your race is if I get a bad vibe I leave...black, white or other.

I'm usually in eye sight of a busy road and would hope if something bad went down that someone would come to my aid. Having the Lesche digger does give me a little extra piece of mind.

I did take pictures last night but they are too large to post so I will have to take new ones tonight. The other large cent was a 1851 in pretty good condition. The 1807 is very worn but the date did show in the pictures. I also discovered that one item I thought was a large cent but was too toasted to confirm straight out of the ground is one. It is way too gone to ID but I will also post pics of it. Three large cents in 40 minutes is my best LC hunt so far. Can't wait to get back and give it another go...I hope some old silver turns up. Was going to go today but the wife called and wanted to meet up for lunch...she hit me with both my weaknesses: my wife and food - I can't say no to either.

Everyone enjoy the weekend and happy hunting.

NJ

P.S. are you referring to Camden??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions