1824 General Lafayette Wax Seal Commemorating His Return to New York

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Kirk, Chris, and I went back to the same site that we hit last Sunday. I dug the 1788 Connecticut copper that was struck over a Nova Constellatio there. Chris dug a VA halfpenny, 1796 large cent, and a Coronet cent. Kirk dug the 1844 political medal there as well.

Here is Kirk pinpointing a signal in the iron patch.

1.jpg

I decided to snap some other pictures of the site. Here is a pic that I call "Looking out into the Pennsylvania frontier."

2.jpg

Here is another view of the surrounding land from where the home sat. This early settler sure had a beautiful view.

3.jpg

Once again, just like last Sunday, within the first 10 minutes of swinging, I got an iffy nickel reading. After I flipped the dirt out, it was still in the hole and reading in the high penny range. I was thrilled when I saw what it was: a 1754 King George II farthing. It is our second farthing this year as a group.

1754 King George II Farthing 010.JPG

1754 King George II Farthing 014.JPG

I also found this interesting wax seal. I can't make out what the letters say surrounding the bust of the man. If anyone knows who it is, I would greatly appreciate the needed information!

1754 King George II Farthing 002.JPG

1754 King George II Farthing 019.JPG

Side View.JPG

Here are my relics for the day.

1754 King George II Farthing 016.JPG

Upvote 1

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its clear now it reads ¨Lafayette Landed at New York 17 August 1824¨ Congrats again and Umrgolf nailed the ID for ya!
Keith

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It is great seeing all the coppers and Spanish Silver you guys continually dig, but every once in a while you guys top it all off with a great relic find!

Congrats on another great find!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ironhorse said:
Iron Patch said:
ironhorse said:
boy Kyle that is a super find!!

I always love finding those old waxseals, or fobs, whichever you call them they are a real treat to find.

I was lucky enough to find a similar one back in '03, mine is a little different but still a great tribute

Cool. What site was that from?

Shill Hill

You know, there has been some finds from that place! Had there not been that sign posted I was actually going to suggest we try it for a few hours. I think that stretch of road might be a decent place to gab a few early to mid. 1800s sites by the road. Think I'm going to look at that and see what I can come up with. There might even be some early sites along the creek on the other side.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Nice find. My banner vote is in, but I sure hope you'll pick up some sealing wax, try it out and show us the results. Also looking forward to whatever you find out from your emails to experts.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Great finds, especially the seal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you guys finding more early coppers than modern coins. I found that to be the case with some of the places I've hunted.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read every word of that Lafayette article...an amazing man. Truly this nation was blessed to have him here as a leader of the revolution. Incredible once in a lifetime find and I congratulate you! :headbang:

U

umrgolf

Kirk PA said:
I want to personally send out a hearty "Thank You" to umrgolf2010 for identifying this rare artifact. This one should be gracing the Banner very shortly, so I put my vote in. It definitely needs the proper recognition. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Kirk

thanks Kirk :icon_thumleft: I think it would have been solved very soon if I hadnt.. I can't stop looking at this post.. Ive never dug any wax seal, let alone one like that

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Thank you for all of the kind replies. I appreciate all of the work that "umrgolf2010" put in to help me ID it. IP, thank you for posting the image of the seal. Without that, we may not have solved it so soon.

I modified my original post and put in a side view picture of the wax seal.

I am going to email two experts now. We'll see how much is known about this relic.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geeeeez, why is this find not on the BANNER train yet?
Unbelievable! :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
Still waiting..................
Hope to see it up top soon Kyle. :icon_thumleft:
-Dug-

Attachments

• maytag-man.jpg
    maytag-man.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 3,387

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys rock....as usual on the Hill eh? :notworthy:

And I get to set here with a pinched sciatic nerve accompanied with a middle back injury! :-\

I've been out of commission for a while now!
But I'm glad you guys are finding the good stuff!

And who the hell-0 is the guy in the first photo with the skinny legs? :laughing9:

Just kidding Kirk :-*

BANNER!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNREAL!!!Huge congrats to you and your crew,I wouldnt expect anything less from you guys!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The unknown word is indeed August, it's just written in Script, or at least some letters seem to be? and the "A" is on an angle. Also I think it's probably the 12th not the 17th. (Hard to tell but he did land on the 12th and was gone by the 17th)

Attachments

• KKC_seal2.jpg
    KKC_seal2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 3,239
OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch said:
The unknown word is indeed August, it's just written in Script, or at least some letters seem to be? and the "A" is on an angle. Also I think it's probably the 12th not the 17th. (Hard to tell but he did land on the 12th and was gone by the 17th)

Yeah, it is hard to say, IP, about the number 17. I am starting to see some of the letters of August.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kyle PA said:
Iron Patch said:

Yeah, it is hard to say, IP, about the number 17. I am starting to see some of the letters of August.

Look at it this way...

A - On an angle

U - Matches

G - Script

U - Matches

S - Script or match (hard to say)

T - You can see the top

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kyle,
This is what I see also

Attachments

• ammended.JPG
    ammended.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 3,174
U

umrgolf

Kyle PA said:
Iron Patch said:

I agree that it's august.. if you look at reply 18, that's what I was thinking last night.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice wax seal! awesome stuff as usual! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread