I HAD A GOOD WEEK

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA
On Tuesday I found this silver 1892 Canadian 5 cent piece that cleaned up to be extra fine ( I think ? ) It is 5/8" in diameter . And on Thursday I found this handmade gold Orlando pendant . It is 7/16" wide and 1 - 7/8" long . I tried everything I dared to clean the coin with no results until I tried the spit and tinfoil trick which turned an ugly duckling into a silk purse pronto .

Attachments

• 1892frntx-.jpg
    1892frntx-.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 410
  • 1892bkx-.jpg
    1892bkx-.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 377
  • orlando frntx-.jpg
    orlando frntx-.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 390
  • orlandobkx-.jpg
    orlandobkx-.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 365
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice silver coin.....The other piece is kinda different! WTG

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking coin, congrats. Tell me more about this spit and foil cleaning trick ;)

HH Twister

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
That half is a beauty PW.I recently showed again that every Canadian silver I find is either damaged or terribly worn....congrats....Joe

OP
OP
PRAIRIEWOLF

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA
twister said:
Great looking coin, congrats. Tell me more about this spit and foil cleaning trick ;)

HH Twister

Silver coins can get this calcium deposit stuff ( like cement ) that just doesn't want to come off so the last resort is to take a 2" X 2" square of tinfoil which you place in the palm of your hand and then depress it with a finger to make a dish shape . You then spit into the depression and place the silver coin on top of the spit and fold the foil over the coin . You then rub the foil and coin between your fingers . It will heat up and in the process ( electrolysis takes place ) and cleans the coin . A toothpick can be gently used to dislodge what wants to come free . If there is still crapoid clinging like a stubborn dingleberry , repeat the process . It took four tries to get this coin to where it is now .

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice looking fishscale.
(Where did you find it)? ;D

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice shape for 1892!! Way to go!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Very nice coin and interesting cleaning technique! I hadn't heard that one before! I like the pendant too.....poor Orlando lost his identity though :'(. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread