Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....the old man arose at the crack of dawn as the young boy lingered in bed. The old man gingerly lowered both feet to the floor, raised his arms over his head and yawned hearing the aged bones crack as the boy continued his deep sleep.

The old man takes his pills that ensured his health...for another day as the young boy stirred, jumped up, knowing that today was a good day to dig!

A stop at Tim's for the morning jolt. Chocolate milk. The 45 minute drive took the old man past times of forgotten glory as his home town whizzed by. The Hubbards Kingfishers the terror of the ball field in the 60's. The old man sighed as now a throw from the pitchers mound to first was a supreme effort. The little kid's heart was beating so fast that it almost went through his ribs...........pirate treasure!

The detectortist of over three decades noticed every tree and the collage of yellow, red and orange leaves upon it, the waves with their crystal peaks slapping the shore and the sound of the tires on the freshly paved road as the child fidgeted in anticipation of the forthcoming treasures.

The elder man's thought turned to the $300 that he had spent on a whim. A set of bubble gum cards that depicted the American Civil War. A foreign war. Cards that he as a youth had by the hundreds. "Wow those are neat. Wish I would have been there" thought the little boy as the old man shut his eyes and just imagined the horror of war. A baby boomer who had , thanks to God not know the cruelty of what man could do to man.
PA200032.jpg

At last the island was in sight and the young lad zips out of the car grabbing the detector and heads off to the nearest grassy area and begins to swing ever so fast waiting for those targets that are near to the surface and delights in that magical bell tone emitted from the Garrett. Ever so quickly the youth kneels down and plunges the knife into the ground cutting a plug as he had been taught and extricating the penny in an instant. In another instant delighted putting the penny in his pocket his wonderful find and scoots on swinging the machine to yet another lost treasure.

Uncoiling himself from his car the man of years looks around taking in the smell of the salt air, the sou'wester and thinking that life doesn't get any better. At least till he is home in the company of his lady that makes coming home the reason for the day. Slowly and with loving care the ancient Garrett is fired up and gives the resounding three beeps that means it is open for business. Swinging slowly in a pattern that has been learned over the vast years the detectorist is in a state of bliss. Will tomorrow be the last day? Please God not too many targets as my knees are aching. Rain will come. His joints remind him that this is so. The youth scoots around like a tuna after a school of fall mackerel.

Three hours later quota has been achieved but the little lad wants to go on. The little boy is subdued as a trip back to the car for a much needed drink of water is heralded. The glow in the eyes! Go on. The body although willing cannot comply. Night shift and 4 hours sleep have taken their toll on the man of years. The boy cries out wanting to continue........to no avail.

The trip home is a reflection.....of the past what had been, could have been and at present is. The old man sighs! How many more years can he do it.

Once home the young bouy counts his take. Each coin coming under scrutiny . "Wow I can buy a bottle of pop. I can go to the Hub for the movies. I can buy some....bubble gum cards!"

The man of later years sits in his chair in front of the computer and waits patiently as the machine whines, moans and begins it's programs. "Must answer the union emails and see what in the hell is going on with the bargaining."

The young lad is done out. Falls asleep and dreams once again of tall ships, battles and the next dig. The old man pops yet another pill to dull the pain and thinks of ...the younger years!
PA200031.jpg

81 coins @$12.55 including a silver dime, key and dewy. The dream continues as the lad saves the day!

Upvote 0

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
minelab Sov. GT, minelab Excal II, Fisher CZ21, minelab Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thinking THIS should be in the magazine ...
great little story and told vividly !!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leslie,
That is simply beautiful and heartwarming......well done. It, also, hits close home, since I am now the "old man."

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A well-written story Leslie. :icon_thumright: Looks like a good day was had by both of you. Neat CW cards, too.

HH

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of digging :wink: nice lil silver!! MR TUFF

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Very well writen and it remins me of something !!!!

I started detecting three years ago and wanted to do it from the age of eight!!!! I am now 47, I will Keep detecting untill the day that they have to come out and find me because I Am so old and Arthritic that I cant get off the ground!!!! and that might not stop Me!!!! Thank you for the great story Chug

This Story should be published!!!!! Chug

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding Story, I also agree this should be published. WTG with the finds also. Story and finds OUTSTANDING

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That touches me deeply. Thank you.

B

Bev

That's the sweetest story I've read in a long time. Really touching. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread