wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found the buckle earlier this year and kept looking for the cover piece. well it seems I had already found it. the piece in the middle fits on top of the piece on the left but rusted off. the middle piece is called a roundel. the design is from the 12th century in britain. it was used on shields so military units could distinguish each other in battle, to avoid freindly fire incidents. I am one happy camper right now.

swordbeltbuckleroundel.jpg

happy hunting to all

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
thank you, this has been a very odd year for me detecting, but enjoyable none the less.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet! Great find! :thumbsup:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice buckle. I've never seen one like this one. Congradulations.....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have on the left (brass) is a cooking pot handle. The piece on the right (iron) I don't know what that piece is. But it is not a two-piece buckle for sure. I'd like to see a close-up of the center piece, though.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Buckles,on all counts.We do need a diff angle.First thing I thought when I seen your pic was the thing in the middle looks like a powder can stopper

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats on the reverse of the 'roundel'? Not really sure what any of them are, except when BB said the left is a cooking pot handle I suddenly realised. The 2 rivets would have held it to the top of the pot & the loop has visible wear from hanging over the fire, so makes a lot of sense. :icon_thumright:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
interesting buckle.... congrats ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
the piece on the left is iron with 2 rivets not brass. it has been cleaned but the piece on the right has not. I seriously doubt it is a pot handle as the riveted part is not at 90 degrees or close to it. I know they made pots with a bail but the rivets are still tight in the piece. if the pot had rusted away the rivets would be loose. I have another piece like the left and right pieces but not the center. I will try to get a close up later but right now I'm kind of busy. thanks for all of the comments.

p.s. the other piece is not holed like the left one in the photo.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
the piece on the left is iron with 2 rivets not brass. it has been cleaned but the piece on the right has not. I seriously doubt it is a pot handle as the riveted part is not at 90 degrees or close to it. I know they made pots with a bail but the rivets are still tight in the piece. if the pot had rusted away the rivets would be loose. I have another piece like the left and right pieces but not the center. I will try to get a close up later but right now I'm kind of busy. thanks for all of the comments.

p.s. the other piece is not holed like the left one in the photo.

Never picked up on the 'brass' comment, as I could see it is iron/steel but I don't think this discounts the theory just yet :wink: look forward to the piccs

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
here you go, I got a break in time so I ran off a few photo's. the rivets are flat next to each other and the roundel has a small football shaped piece ripped out in the center of the back where it was forcibly removed from whatever it was attached to.

buckles.jpg

roundelfront.jpg

roundelback.jpg

happy hunting to all

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
here you go, I got a break in time so I ran off a few photo's. the rivets are flat next to each other and the roundel has a small football shaped piece ripped out in the center of the back where it was forcibly removed from whatever it was attached to.

happy hunting to all

I wonder if the larger iron pieces are horse related (used to pull stuff)
The rivetted one, I'm now more unsure of...
The roundel now looks to be a drawer pull handle, but a little hard to make out. You can tell it was never that close to iron, as it has no residue :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "roundel",sure looks like a powder can stopper(Target brand to be exact)is it lead?
I have seen the iron pieces before,like on the end of a leather sharpening strap

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
the iron pieces don't look heavy enough for horse tack to me and the other piece might be lead but it is pretty hard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread