I dug 7 1/2 cents today

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
After waiting for rain for 4 months, I took the day today and did a little more digging after yesterday's short hunt.. :thumbsup:

I headed out this AM planning on digging some sites that I had spent all morning trying to do some research on. I called the farmer to let him know I would be detecting today. Being he leases the farm he said he had no problem but after giving me the go ahead the other day, he thought I should let the land owner know. He gave me her number but no answer. I was Bumming. Left a message hoping she would call right back but she didn't. So, I decided to go to a site that I had hit before and see what I had missed. I arrived and started hunting, first thing I dug was the side of an early powder flask. As time went on I dug a couple flat buttons and then things slowed up. I thought that I must have really cleaned this site out once things slowed down. I kept going when all of the sudden I hit a good read and boom 1826 LC. This ones for you Kirk! That makes three for me from this site. I carried on and along came a lonesome Indian, 1865 and in good shape. Then things went quiet again. I was getting tired and ready to leave, then I thought I would go swing around the well before I headed for the truck. An 1882 Shield Nickel surprised me, my first for the year. I hit the field a bit longer when I finally decided to call it quits. Hopped in the truck and hit the pavement for home. As I was leaving I thought about a spot that I had wanted to go to but had never made it. Curiosity was killing me about this second spot. I called the land owner and he said go for it, so I did. Pulled up in the field and started up the machine. Glass and stoneware were all over the place. This site was not on my map so I knew it must be an early one. I dug one target, a first for me. My first Half Cent which I believe to be an 1811, and I'm afraid to clean it any more. This one is for the experts to look at and tell me what to do with. I said that's it, I'm leaving. I'm going to save this spot for KFB to help me kill. We have been trying to get together but the lack of rain has stopped us. So get your digging boots on Tom, I found us a good one.

All in all, a great day for me, hope everyone gets out and finds the goods.

Hill

Attachments

• 10-28-10 015.jpg
    10-28-10 015.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 10-28-10 001.jpg
    10-28-10 001.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 10-28-10 003.jpg
    10-28-10 003.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 10-28-10 005.jpg
    10-28-10 005.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 10-28-10 008.jpg
    10-28-10 008.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 10-28-10 016.jpg
    10-28-10 016.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 10-28-10 011.jpg
    10-28-10 011.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 10-28-10.jpg
    10-28-10.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,044
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG HB, that was a great hunt for you! That site really produced for you and a killer of a hunt, congrats.

As far as cleaning the coppers, well, you know what I would do but I am not sure how the coppers come out of the ground in your area, hopefully you can use peroxide safely, if you have used it before, have at it, if not, whatever you do, just go slowly , but the peroxide should remove the dirt with some gentle persuasion(wet q-tips). If no peeling is evident than you should be OK, can't tell from your photos. If it is 1811, that would be great, that is a low mintage year for Half Cents!!

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
WTG HB, that was a great hunt for you! That site really produced for you and a killer of a hunt, congrats.

As far as cleaning the coppers, well, you know what I would do but I am not sure how the coppers come out of the ground in your area, hopefully you can use peroxide safely, if you have used it before, have at it, if not, whatever you do, just go slowly , but the peroxide should remove the dirt with some gentle persuasion(wet q-tips). If no peeling is evident than you should be OK, can't tell from your photos. If it is 1811, that would be great, that is a low mintage year for Half Cents!!

Don

looks like fire damage, cleaning won't help this one very much :-\

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Really referring to the Half Cent, that looks OK, the Large Cent, has had a bumpy life evidently. :D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
CRUSADER said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Really referring to the Half Cent, that looks OK, the Large Cent, has had a bumpy life evidently. :D

OK :laughing9:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I knew you would be posting some great finds very soon. I wasn't wrong. I still have not found a half cent this year yet. Congrats my man and that was a classy thing for you to do by saving some for your compadres. :thumbsup:
Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. forgot to say, I've never had a copper flask piece yet :icon_scratch: To me that would be the find of the hunt :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
I knew you would be posting some great finds very soon. I wasn't wrong. I still have not found a half cent this year yet. Congrats my man and that was a classy thing for you to do by saving some for your compadres. :thumbsup:
Chris

What he said.

HB, that definitely is an act of class. You'll be rewarded on your return trip there!

I want to see some field shots next time! :headbang:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you have two great sites! :icon_thumright: Hopefully the second one produces more than just that teaser. :hello2:

U

umrgolf

let's see what the new site coughs up next go-around, round 1 is an A+.. KFB, I think you owe him a beer :laughing7:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are getting along just fine! Congrats on the Half Cent, that's a very respectable take there :wink: :icon_thumleft:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yes, HB! You are gonna be a digging machine this fall! Chalk one up to the Iron Brigade--still making the finds, and bringing home the goodies in ole Kentucky! :hello2:

That half cent is a GREAT find for the area, as you well know. That's the first half cent out of KY to be posted here on the forum to my knowledge. Coinmaster's half cent is an Indiana find. So BRAVO on that one! I don't think you have much to lose with that LC to try peroxide. But the HC, I think you should clean it the same way you cleaned the Nova copper the first time--and in fact, the patina looks the same as the Nova did. I'd toothpick individual letters, the wreath, and the bust and date on the front, leaving the dirt and patina around them for contrast, then lightly wipe with a little natural oil from the fingers on the highlights to bring them out more. But I don't think I'd submerge it in anything. That's just me, though.

The powder flask is a great find--it's a style that several diggers have found, but I don't have an example of in my collection yet. And that padlock keyhole cover is way cool--does it say "T & M"?

By the way, it looks like you found part of a two-piece sash buckle there too! I am also wondering what the piece is just above that. I've drawn a red arrow pointing to the sash buckle piece:

sash buckle.jpg

A BIG congratulations to you, my friend!

Best Wishes,

Buck

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hill Billy You had quite a day ! Lookin' good with those coin and relic finds :laughing7: many more :icon_thumleft: d aWg

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another outstanding hunt HB. :hello2:
Post pix of that HC once you get it cleaned up.
Congrats,
Doug

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All Right HB!!! Sorry I was not home to view the flask-looks real old. Nice halfer. You and Tom will have a ball there and I'm looking forward to your posts this Fall and Winter from that site Bud. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:

Don

Thanks Don, yes the LC is toast, I believe Crusader is right on it being in a fire.
The HC I'm afraid will not fare well with peroxide so I'll leave it be.

Chris

Hope to be posting more real soon, was just a matter of time for the ground to get right.
I'm anxious to get back with KFB when time works for him, he better hurry up because I don't know how long I'll be able to take it.

CRUSADER said:
PS. forgot to say, I've never had a copper flask piece yet :icon_scratch: To me that would be the find of the hunt :thumbsup:

The powder flask was a great find Cru, and I think it goes with the Liege muff pistol I dug earlier this year.

Kyle PA said:
Chris

What he said.

HB, that definitely is an act of class. You'll be rewarded on your return trip there!

I want to see some field shots next time! :headbang:

Thanks Kyle, I thought of taking some field shots while I was digging but when I pulled the camera out I was to busy taking in my finds. I promise when we go back to the HC site, to take some scenic photo's for you. Was a beauty of a day! :headbang:

umrgolf2010 said:
let's see what the new site coughs up next go-around, round 1 is an A+.. KFB, I think you owe him a beer :laughing7:

Owes me a couple or three. :laughing9:

{Sentinel} said:
Looks like you are getting along just fine own! Congrats on the Half Cent, that's a very respectable take there :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Josh, surprised me that's for sure.

BuckleBoy said:
Heck yes, HB! You are gonna be a digging machine this fall! Chalk one up to the Iron Brigade--still making the finds, and bringing home the goodies in ole Kentucky! :hello2:

That half cent is a GREAT find for the area, as you well know. That's the first half cent out of KY to be posted here on the forum to my knowledge. Coinmaster's half cent is an Indiana find. So BRAVO on that one! I don't think you have much to lose with that LC to try peroxide. But the HC, I think you should clean it the same way you cleaned the Nova copper the first time--and in fact, the patina looks the same as the Nova did. I'd toothpick individual letters, the wreath, and the bust and date on the front, leaving the dirt and patina around them for contrast, then lightly wipe with a little natural oil from the fingers on the highlights to bring them out more. But I don't think I'd submerge it in anything. That's just me, though.

The powder flask is a great find--it's a style that several diggers have found, but I don't have an example of in my collection yet. And that padlock keyhole cover is way cool--does it say "T & M"?

By the way, it looks like you found part of a two-piece sash buckle there too! I am also wondering what the piece is just above that. I've drawn a red arrow pointing to the sash buckle piece:

A BIG congratulations to you, my friend!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Buck... the finds will continue, wish you could be here. I've nailed down numerous places to hunt over the next few weeks, hopefully all this waiting will pay off.
The HC I have cleaned as far as I'm going to, need to post the latest pics for your viewing pleasure.
I'm not sure what the piece is above the sash buckle, will put it on here later, maybe someone will know.
Good luck down south, get out and show us some colonial finds, who cares about the civil war stuff. LOL

coinmaster2db said:
Nice digs! I'm hoping to have a similar post this weekend. Only time will tell.

HH!
Cm2db :hello:

Get on it Mike, show us some of those great Indiana finds. Will look for your post.

CMDiamonddawg said:
Hill Billy You had quite a day ! Lookin' good with those coin and relic finds :laughing7: many more :icon_thumleft: d aWg

Thanks daWg :thumbsup:

ModernMiner said:
Another outstanding hunt HB. :hello2:
Post pix of that HC once you get it cleaned up.
Congrats,
Doug

Will have some better pics in the AM Doug, check em out then.

VOL1266-X said:
All Right HB!!! Sorry I was not home to view the flask-looks real old. Nice halfer. You and Tom will have a ball there and I'm looking forward to your posts this Fall and Winter from that site Bud. HH, Quindy.

Tell Tom to hurry up, I'm ready to go now. :laughing9:

dfx willy said:
awesome hunt! way to go, willy

Thanks Willy.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hill Billy said:
Buck... the finds will continue, wish you could be here. I've nailed down numerous places to hunt over the next few weeks, hopefully all this waiting will pay off.
The HC I have cleaned as far as I'm going to, need to post the latest pics for your viewing pleasure.
I'm not sure what the piece is above the sash buckle, will put it on here later, maybe someone will know.
Good luck down south, get out and show us some colonial finds, who cares about the civil war stuff. LOL

You have done a FINE job of using the dry spell and time away from diggin to line up some FANTASTIC spots. Well done, my friend. You are one heck of a digger--and a force to be reckoned with while using that White's machine! I'd love to see that mystery piece if you get a chance. I'm sure someone will know what it is. Oh, and who cares about that silly CW stuff anyhow? I use CS belt plates for splitting wedges when I cut wood. :D

But those common KG coppers I place in a velvet-lined display case that I have lit with museum quality lighting in my ten-thousand dollar Colonial Display Room. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread