May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey All,

been a while since I posted anything, but I had to share this one - was in the farm field where we found a nice colonial site last fall and I dug this beauty - my first
it was just a whisper of a signal when my coil passed over it, but i dug and dug and from about a foot down saw this laying at the bottom of the hole

here's a little more of the story :

went out by myself on a rainy morning here, just to get out and get some exercise. i noticed the farmers had just cut the rest of the corn down at a site that has produced 16 colonial coins and countless buttons and other artifacts, the 3 of us had been over this same area probably 25 times in the last year and the pickins were getting slim

anyway I had my new 10x14inch excelerator coil on the e-trac and the very first target into the corn was just a faint whisper that repeated at 13-40 but it was buried on the depth scale - hoping that it was something good i dug and dug and the signal kept getting better and better at the very bottom side of the hole (now almost a foot down) i saw the rim sticking out

when i pulled it out my heart was racing at first but it seemed way too heavy to be a coin - i thought for a second i had a large token or weird button 'cause all the coins we got from the site were thin colonials - as soon as i cleared the dirt away i saw the date plain as day, 1794 and i felt my stomach turn ...

i had never dug a "thicky" before but i realized what i had as paco talks about finding them all the time on our hunts i immediately went and called him ... he didn't believe me at first but when i described it and by now had rubbed the dirt away and saw all the detail he was screaming on the other end of the phone

he let me off the phone and told me to go find another and i went back and pulled two large tombac buttons about 10 feet away from almost the same depth - for a moment i thought i had a George washington button to go along with it as the one button had a very detailed front, i found a couple other smaller buttons and just about then the farmer saw me out in the rain digging and came over to see what i found - excitedly i showed him all my finds (including the coin)

now sometimes i offer some of the stuff i find back to the farmers, especially when they are into the history etc but i have to say i got a little worried when he seemed VERY interested in the coin - if he would have asked me for it, i probably would have given it to him, i mean how do you say no to someone that has let you hunt on their land for the last 3 years ??

thankfully it didn't come to that, i put the 1794 back in my pocket and immediately offered him the buttons i found including the two tombacs and then a large cent i found the week before on his farm down by the river - he seemed very happy with that !

whew, dodged one there !

enjoy and take care,

vp

addded another pic

Attachments

• 1794-libertycap.jpg
    1794-libertycap.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 5,786
  • 1794-libertycapped.jpg
    1794-libertycapped.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 5,274
Upvote 19

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Re: 1794 Liberty Cap One Cent

Awsome detail on that one :icon_thumleft: I am still waiting for my first Liberty Cap Cent.

When I do dig one I can only hope that she is as nice as yours :headbang:

VPR

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks everyone for the posts and banner votes !

i added another pic to show the depth of the detail on this coin

vp

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your great find :thumbsup:
That is one nicely detailed coin... :o

HH Soup

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the cleaned picture. I'm sure there's not much more you can do cleaning it without compromising the natural condition of the coin

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on the Banner! :thumbsup: 3:27 on Sat I believe!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find. Great shape. 1794, like everybody else I want one with that date on it.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin,
That beauty is as thick as your bulging biceps! :tongue3: :laughing9:
Congrats big guy on an outstanding find and making the Banner Train.
-Doug-

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That sure looks nice up top. What a beautiful coin. Many congrats! jgas

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Very great comdition . Nice that one will be one to show your grandchildren.congrats banner Well done.Rob :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread