May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey All,

been a while since I posted anything, but I had to share this one - was in the farm field where we found a nice colonial site last fall and I dug this beauty - my first
it was just a whisper of a signal when my coil passed over it, but i dug and dug and from about a foot down saw this laying at the bottom of the hole

here's a little more of the story :

went out by myself on a rainy morning here, just to get out and get some exercise. i noticed the farmers had just cut the rest of the corn down at a site that has produced 16 colonial coins and countless buttons and other artifacts, the 3 of us had been over this same area probably 25 times in the last year and the pickins were getting slim

anyway I had my new 10x14inch excelerator coil on the e-trac and the very first target into the corn was just a faint whisper that repeated at 13-40 but it was buried on the depth scale - hoping that it was something good i dug and dug and the signal kept getting better and better at the very bottom side of the hole (now almost a foot down) i saw the rim sticking out

when i pulled it out my heart was racing at first but it seemed way too heavy to be a coin - i thought for a second i had a large token or weird button 'cause all the coins we got from the site were thin colonials - as soon as i cleared the dirt away i saw the date plain as day, 1794 and i felt my stomach turn ...

i had never dug a "thicky" before but i realized what i had as paco talks about finding them all the time on our hunts i immediately went and called him ... he didn't believe me at first but when i described it and by now had rubbed the dirt away and saw all the detail he was screaming on the other end of the phone

he let me off the phone and told me to go find another and i went back and pulled two large tombac buttons about 10 feet away from almost the same depth - for a moment i thought i had a George washington button to go along with it as the one button had a very detailed front, i found a couple other smaller buttons and just about then the farmer saw me out in the rain digging and came over to see what i found - excitedly i showed him all my finds (including the coin)

now sometimes i offer some of the stuff i find back to the farmers, especially when they are into the history etc but i have to say i got a little worried when he seemed VERY interested in the coin - if he would have asked me for it, i probably would have given it to him, i mean how do you say no to someone that has let you hunt on their land for the last 3 years ??

thankfully it didn't come to that, i put the 1794 back in my pocket and immediately offered him the buttons i found including the two tombacs and then a large cent i found the week before on his farm down by the river - he seemed very happy with that !

whew, dodged one there !

enjoy and take care,

vp

addded another pic

Attachments

• 1794-libertycap.jpg
    1794-libertycap.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 5,786
  • 1794-libertycapped.jpg
    1794-libertycapped.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 5,274
Upvote 19

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! That is a beautiful large cent! Amazing condition and detail!

detectordude

Oct 18, 2008
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; Fisher CZ-5; Fisher 1280X; Whites Classic V ID
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a great find. That is one beautiful large cent with amazing detail.

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a beauty!

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
Wow thats a beauty. Finding any large cents in that shape is great but one with that date . WOW. HH all mark

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's an honor to be on the banner,
thanks again to everyone for the posts, votes and nice comments !

and special thanks to Don for identifying the coin, he spent a lot of his time helping me out with my Counterfeit Machin Mills coin about this time last year, so i knew he was the guy to call

thansk again,

vp

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vpone said:
it's an honor to be on the banner,
thanks again to everyone for the posts, votes and nice comments !

and special thanks to Don for identifying the coin, he spent a lot of his time helping me out with my Counterfeit Machin Mills coin about this time last year, so i knew he was the guy to call
thansk again,
vp

A day without Don, is like a day without sunshine I always say. :icon_sunny: ;D
I'm personally in awe with his knowledge of coins. :o Now I just wish I could find one for him to ID. :dontknow: :tongue3:

Congrats on your banner find Kevin!!! :hello2:
-Doug-

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is in amazing condition! Please post again if you do anymore to clean it up (not that I am suggesting you do anything that might ruin that beauty - it is fine the way it is, and may be as good as it can be without harming it). Congrats!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That LC is in fantastic shape :icon_thumleft: good find . Congrats on the Banner :thumbsup: Jim

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just back from vacation and getting caught up on T-Net. Congrats on a great find Kevin.

NJ

DirtMan1

Jul 30, 2010
That thing is in great shape! I use to think that coins couldn't come out of the ground that pretty before I started digging them like that too! Congrats on a beatiful Large Cent! :notworthy:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story and a great coin.

This is the best hobby in the world.

Congratulations on the coin and the banner.

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did finally send this in to be graded - came back XF details (!) with env damage - best I could possibly hope for!

thumbnail_image001.jpg

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow vpone...that coin is absolutely gorgeous! Such a fantastic find ( plus I loved the story too). Thanks for sharing.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow ... a find of a lifetime and in excellent condition too - a huge congrats ! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread