May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey All,

been a while since I posted anything, but I had to share this one - was in the farm field where we found a nice colonial site last fall and I dug this beauty - my first
it was just a whisper of a signal when my coil passed over it, but i dug and dug and from about a foot down saw this laying at the bottom of the hole

here's a little more of the story :

went out by myself on a rainy morning here, just to get out and get some exercise. i noticed the farmers had just cut the rest of the corn down at a site that has produced 16 colonial coins and countless buttons and other artifacts, the 3 of us had been over this same area probably 25 times in the last year and the pickins were getting slim

anyway I had my new 10x14inch excelerator coil on the e-trac and the very first target into the corn was just a faint whisper that repeated at 13-40 but it was buried on the depth scale - hoping that it was something good i dug and dug and the signal kept getting better and better at the very bottom side of the hole (now almost a foot down) i saw the rim sticking out

when i pulled it out my heart was racing at first but it seemed way too heavy to be a coin - i thought for a second i had a large token or weird button 'cause all the coins we got from the site were thin colonials - as soon as i cleared the dirt away i saw the date plain as day, 1794 and i felt my stomach turn ...

i had never dug a "thicky" before but i realized what i had as paco talks about finding them all the time on our hunts i immediately went and called him ... he didn't believe me at first but when i described it and by now had rubbed the dirt away and saw all the detail he was screaming on the other end of the phone

he let me off the phone and told me to go find another and i went back and pulled two large tombac buttons about 10 feet away from almost the same depth - for a moment i thought i had a George washington button to go along with it as the one button had a very detailed front, i found a couple other smaller buttons and just about then the farmer saw me out in the rain digging and came over to see what i found - excitedly i showed him all my finds (including the coin)

now sometimes i offer some of the stuff i find back to the farmers, especially when they are into the history etc but i have to say i got a little worried when he seemed VERY interested in the coin - if he would have asked me for it, i probably would have given it to him, i mean how do you say no to someone that has let you hunt on their land for the last 3 years ??

thankfully it didn't come to that, i put the 1794 back in my pocket and immediately offered him the buttons i found including the two tombacs and then a large cent i found the week before on his farm down by the river - he seemed very happy with that !

whew, dodged one there !

enjoy and take care,

vp

addded another pic

Attachments

• 1794-libertycap.jpg
    1794-libertycap.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 5,786
  • 1794-libertycapped.jpg
    1794-libertycapped.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 5,274
Upvote 19

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Re: 1794 Liberty Cap One Cent

Congrats ! Thats a sweet one, nice detail ! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful. Congrats. :notworthy:

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

allen said:
That coin is in awesome shape !! :thumbsup:
Congrats !!! :coffee2:

thanks - pics don't do it justice - the bust really has some depth to it

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

way to break back into the scene :o great shape :hello2:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Big Congrats, my favorite copper to find, the big thick Liberty Caps! It is in nice shape for being a field find and I gave it a good look in the book and I am fairly certain it is A Sheldon 65 variety, R-1 Very Common. Was hoping it was one of the rare varieties but does not appear so.
Attached a photo (in negative) highlighting the features I used to ID the variety, there are many for 1794, somewhat tough to do without great details and yours has all the details needed. :hello2: The key diagnostic determining factor was the Short Right Ribbon, from there I checked out all the other known features to see if they matched and they did.

Don

Attachments

• 1794-libertycapVPone.jpg
    1794-libertycapVPone.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 5,630
U

umrgolf

Nice looking Large Cent and nice id Don in SJ :icon_thumleft:

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, very pretty copper. It is nice that you can get so far back into history. I just backed up 8 more years with my oldest to 1842. Our county history puts people there in about 1839. If I go back much further it would have to be with a coin carried for some time before it was lost. I bet you will find a lot more interesting stuff.

HH, Don

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one beautiful old copper my friend....big time congrats! That one has me envious!

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

YO VP,
I CAN`T BELIEVE IT MAN , WE ALL WALKED OVER IT A MILLION TIMES ......PACO

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'd almost say that belonged on the Banner :o Sweet 1700's find . I'd be proud of that one :headbang: Actually I will vote for Banner ::)

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow :o

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice Liberty Cap! We got two of those thick ones at a site in May. We have been on a roll this year on coppers. We have about 53 this year and 3 Spanish silvers. :icon_thumleft: Wow, it looks like your Minelab is beating the White's machines at your sites. :laughing7: You are proof on how to clean up on a site. Good to hear from you again, Kevin.

What else did you guys find in the field that day? Buttons? Rob find anything? :dontknow: John? :dontknow:

Here is Chris' 1794 from May: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,324622.msg2347858.html#msg2347858
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,282911.html

Here is mine from last year: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,257418.msg1841962.html#msg1841962

Kirk

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nice coin ... congrats ! :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Great looking thicky Liberty Cap, Kevin! :headbang:

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007

That is an incredible find. I hope to find one myself someday. the condition is truly amazing.Congrats on a sweet coin :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wow, that is one beautiful coin, should be up on the banner. congratulations, what a find.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Fantastic Find!
Absolutle Banner Material.