Found CSA Buckle Today

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Vol1266X and I got out this morning and went to one of our favorite hunting sites. We spent about 2 hours there and dug 9 pieces of canister shot. We left the site and drove back to his home town. When we arrived, we ate lunch at a new restaurant in town. While we were eating lunch, I saw a friend of mine that owns several rent houses. I walked over and talked to him and got permission to detect around his rental properties. After lunch I went back to work for about an hour and left to go home. I thought I would give a couple of houses a quick search and I am glad that I did. I found a few odds and ends such as an old button, a brass lock, and a couple of harmonica reeds. About 30 feet from the side of the house, I got a good signal registering silver on my MineLab and dug an eight inch plug. I checked the hole and still got a signal. I dug about 4 more inches out and the signal was still in the hole but it was registering just to the left of silver, so I was hoping for a large cent. So I dug about 4 more inches out of the hole and checked again. I got a strong signal from the dirt I had just pulled out of the hole. I brushed through the dirt and saw an "S" looking up at me. I thought I had just found a US buckle. I picked it up and turned it over and saw 3 hooks and realized it was rectangular and not oval. My hands started shaking and I turned it over, brushed a little more dirt off, and saw the "CSA." That was when I had to find a place to sit down. This is the first CSA buckle I have ever found. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSC01186.JPG
    DSC01186.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 5,727
  • dsc01189.jpg
    dsc01189.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 5,688
  • DSC01194.JPG
    DSC01194.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 5,734
  • DSC01195.JPG
    DSC01195.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 5,650
Upvote 7

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the Banner !! :notworthy:

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman, do you credit this with hunting an old homesite? Were these rental properties from the CW period? Or, was it just that the area saw a lot of action? I know a lot of relic hunters that have gone over to hunting homesites, that's why I ask.

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
BamaBill said:
Dman, do you credit this with hunting an old homesite? Were these rental properties from the CW period? Or, was it just that the area saw a lot of action? I know a lot of relic hunters that have gone over to hunting homesites, that's why I ask.
Bamabill,
This house site was built around 1910. There was not any CW action or any CW camps near where I found the buckle. The reason we are hunting old home sites some veterans brought home buckles and buttons. Their kids or grandkids played in the yard with this stuff and lost them or the house was destroyed and the relics scattered. With some research you can find where CW veterans lived after the War.
Doug

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
BamaBill said:
Bamabill,
This house site was built around 1910. There was not any CW action or any CW camps near where I found the buckle. The reason we are hunting old home sites some veterans brought home buckles and buttons. Their kids or grandkids played in the yard with this stuff and lost them or the house was destroyed and the relics scattered. With some research you can find where CW veterans lived after the War.
Doug

Dman,
You are exactly right. Your CSA buckle and my NC buckle and CSN button were found under similar circumstances as you and Quindy know. Both in an early 1900's yard. In my case, next door to the the 1900's house was an 1840's house where a CW officer lived. Since my NC buckle was found in the front yard, and the CSN button in the backyard, I can only think that kids were playing with these CW relics. I LOVE THOSE KIDS!!! ;D :thumbsup: :laughing9:
-Doug-

tim g

Mar 1, 2010
Hartsville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum / Fisher CZ-21 / Minelab Xterra 505 / White's Classic III / DetectorPro Pirate
That is SWEEEEEET

Incredible find Doug, it just doesn't get much better than that.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This being on the tail end of the banner bar I just had to stop by and see it again. Gives me some hope!
Happy Holidays !

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the find of a lifetime. I'm sure you did a happy dance like I did when I dug mine. :hello2:

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: :headbang:CONGRATS--YOU'VE DONE WHAT I'VE NOT DONE YET!!! Been detecting 26 yrs ad haven't found a CS or US bukle---found one pre-Civil War Militia buckle

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
ZINCLID said:
:hello2: :headbang:CONGRATS--YOU'VE DONE WHAT I'VE NOT DONE YET!!! Been detecting 26 yrs ad haven't found a CS or US bukle---found one pre-Civil War Militia buckle
It took me 40 to find my first. I hope I don't have to wait another 40 to find the second. :laughing7:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
crashbro17x said:
Congrats on the find of a lifetime. I'm sure you did a happy dance like I did when I dug mine. :hello2:
Even though I was not there that afternoon, I can tell you that he nearly passed out based on my many hunting trips with him-LOL. You can read about his experience in an upcoming article of Dman's that will be in an issue of one of the treasure/relic magazines this spring. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
TnMountains said:
This being on the tail end of the banner bar I just had to stop by and see it again. Gives me some hope!
Happy Holidays !
Hope is a good thing. Good luck finding a banner find.

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is awesome, that's all I can say

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, I say BANNER!! but that's not all. In the 5 years you have been relic hunting with me, you have endured bitter cold, rain, sleet, snow, and heat and never complained. You have made many scouting trips with me with no productive results and never complained. When I dug the Tennessee Veteran's State Pin that day in 2008, you congratulated me and shared in the moment. When Josh dug the breatplate last spring and the U.S. plate this summer, you praised him. When you missed the trip 2 weeks ago when I dug the A.V.C. button, you were glad for me. Even this week when I dug the 1830 half dime (and I know how you love old coins), you congratulated me.
NOBODY deserves this "holy grail" of Civil War Relic Hunting more than you. Enjoy the day. My only regret is that I was not there to see you dig it. Congratulations on a beautiful lifetime recovery from your own county Doug. Quindy.
Now these are the words of a true friend. You 3 have made some incredible finds since I have been a member of this forum, but sharing your time and experiences with each other has undoubtedly meant more than the finds recovered.
Dman, you said more in your original post for this thread than in all your posts this last year, lol. Congrats on this find:coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread