*** Updated*** Civil War relics from North MS - 1831 SC Nullification Button

wettpaint

Apr 9, 2009
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
We had some beautiful weather for hunting; we could still use some rain to soften the ground. I found some melted lead, a couple of small lead balls, three bullets and this little button I was told the bullet in the middle is a Selma Arsenal sharps, and the 3 ringer could be confederate made.

We have about 3 weeks before deer season locks things down until February. Hope your hunting has been productive too.

Happy Hunting,
Wettpaint

Attachments

• IMAG0450.jpg
    IMAG0450.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,033
  • IMAG0451.jpg
    IMAG0451.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMAG0446.jpg
    IMAG0446.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,058
  • IMAG0447.jpg
    IMAG0447.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,005
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Civil War relics from North Mississippi

Nice Lead there buddy! Looks like you have a nice spot there. The middle bullet is definitely a ring tail Sharps, hard to tell by the pics if its Selma but looks like it definitely could be! As for the button, I can't tell very well, whats that on the front? CONGRATS on the nice digs :icon_thumleft: :wink:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice Finds WP. Maybe you can get in a few middle of the day hunts like Dman, Josh, and I do during deer season. HH, Quindy.

U

umrgolf

Nice digs, whats on the button ???

LuckOfTheIrish

Jan 28, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

Great finds but I have to say that you are missing the best relic in the batch. The little button that you found is actually a rare South Carolina state seal button! If you look close enough at the button the state motto, Animis Opibusque Parati, encircles the palmetto tree. And just an FYI you are looking at the button upside down. In my opinion this is an incredible button as you don't see these dug very frequently!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice CW finds.
Dman

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

That is an EXTREMELY RARE South Carolina Nullification Button. This button was ordered to be made by the Governor of South Carolina. It is even RARER in the cuff size.

Albert Book states; The Scoville Company records show that it was ordered in 1831 by Governor Hamilton "himself and suite". RV 20

A nice RARE button !
REB

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Banner! Rarest button I have seen here in a LONG TIME. I am a relic hunter from SC for over 39 years...only seen 3 dug...one by me...one by a friend, and this one. RARE IN A CUFF SIZE!!!
REB

BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!

LuckOfTheIrish

Jan 28, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

55th Massachusetts said:
Banner! Rarest button I have seen here in a LONG TIME. I am a relic hunter from SC for over 39 years...only seen 3 dug...one by me...one by a friend, and this one. RARE IN A CUFF SIZE!!!
REB

BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely agree!!! BANNER! and thanks for the ID because it was killing me trying to remember what this specific button was called since I didn't have my relic books with me. This is truly an amazing find!

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Yep this is a GREAT button. I have dug 5 coat size, but only one cuff. I have dug hundreds of South Carolina buttons, and this one is a hard one to dig.
REB

OP
OP
wettpaint

wettpaint

Apr 9, 2009
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

Guys, Thanks for the encouragement. I am waiting for the batteries to charge on my camera to be able to take a clearer photo. These pics were taken with my cell phone. I could tell it was Latin on the face & Scovills Extra on the back and it is a 1 piece button with gilt on the front & back.

I will post a better picture as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Wettpaint

OP
OP
wettpaint

wettpaint

Apr 9, 2009
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

A lot of early settlers to this county were from South Carolina. I guess that is how a button from 1831 got here, but to be in a CW campsite area is confusing. I guess they just used what they had laying around. I will try to post a better photo this after noon. Anyone got an idea in terms of value for a button like this?

Thanks.

*** Here is the updated photo***

Attachments

• 100_4273.JPG
    100_4273.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,388

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nice Civil War relics..... congrats ! :thumbsup:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a nice button. Keep hitting that site. Hopefully there is more of those where that came from. :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I knew it was something good, that's why I asked what it was because i could see the tree on it, GOOD ONE! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button! I see the college kid "LuckofTheIrish" IDs another good find! Banner all the way on this one. Dig some more!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wettpaint said:
A lot of early settlers to this county were from South Carolina. I guess that is how a button from 1831 got here, but to be in a CW campsite area is confusing. I guess they just used what they had laying around. I will try to post a better photo this after noon. Anyone got an idea in terms of value for a button like this?

Thanks.

*** Here is the updated photo***

Nice one. :thumbsup: Shouldn't be too hard finding a value because they are posted from time to time.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread