🥇 BANNER William III Shilling!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: What's going on guys! Today, Jeff and I decided to head back down to one of my old honey holes that I've been digging at on and off for the last couple of years, the same one that Jeff dug the stellar 1861 Half Dime at a few days ago. As I told him the other day, "there's still more stuff in here to be found" well we found out just how true that was AGAIN today! After a couple hours of digging we wandered into one of the areas that use to be an old colonial homesite on the top of a hill and we began to get the nice iron signals all over. Now up until this time we had only a few bullets between us and we were just leisurely swinging and all of a sudden I got a NICE signal hitting in the 70s and I at once called Jeff over to listen to it with his machine....he came on over and scanned it and agreed it was hittting in the 70s on his too! I sank my shovel in and dug a nice BIG hole and dug down about 5" and then started probing the hole with my Propointer. When it started freaking out, I rubbed the side of the hole with the tip and suddenly a silver milled edge was exposed and both Jeff and I was thinking Reale at that point!!! When I popped it out, it didn't quite look right for a Reale and I was thinking, is that King George?? NOPE, after blowing the loose dirt away I could see William in Latin on the edge and at that point knew almost certainly that it was a William III shilling but STILL couldn't believe it and had to get Jeff to confirm what I was seeing :o :o :o Indeed, thats what it is he said! My nerves were shot at that point as it was in unbelievable good shape! Hands down the BEST milled coin I've ever dug! When we got back to the house, Jeff grabbed his 1697 William coin from earlier this year that we thought was a shilling. Turns out, we measured them and Jeff's is a sixpence (21 mm) and mine was the shilling (25mm). Enjoy the pictures! Josh

Here's a couple in-situ shots after rinsing with water about five minutes after dug

William III Shillinga.jpg

IMG_0129a.jpg

Look at the gilding left on this flat button that was about 20 yards from the coin :o
IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

1695 William III Shilling

MD Pics 1031a.jpg

MD Pics 1030.jpg

Jeff's 1697 sixpence next to my 1695 shilling

IMG_0132b.jpg

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Re: 1695 William III Shilling

that is a gorgeous coin Josh!! congrats

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is an incredible silver Josh . You and Jeff have been posting stellar finds all season andwe all look forward to seeing many more. There should be some silver on the Banner and this British Beauty from the 17th century sure fits the bill for me ! I vote banner ! MaineRelic

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Incredible detail on that coin!! You have my banner vote!!! WTG! Almost looks like someone intentionally scratched that "X" on his head??

Edit: I just watched the video (very good) and couldn't help but share the happiness and excitement you exhibited. Thanks for posting it, I am really happy for you!! Have you quit shaking yet??
:notworthy:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MonkeyBoy said:
Wow!! That is just outstanding!!! Heck a 8 reale would have been great but that even blows one of those away.. and I have some!!

I vote banner!

MB

Thanks MonkeyBoy and everyone for the nice replies! :hello:

It was pretty amazing watching that pop out of the ground in front of me and Jeff today. Jeff dug a spectacular Half-Dime here on Monday and we were talking about how perfect that it looked and how well the soil at this spot treated the coins...and then this coin and the button today. Its definitely on my Center Rack right now here at the house!

penniesmine

Jan 17, 2010
Low Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC/ Fisher F-75 Special Edittion LTD Black Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really nice job......BANNER........BANNER!!!!

DirtMan1

Jul 30, 2010

:occasion18: :occasion18: :occasion18: Man, finding one of those in England is an amazing day!!!!! BUT FINDING ONE in the U.S.A!!! :o :o :o :o :o FREAKING UNBELIEVABLE and a BANNER find if I EVER saw one not only because of how nice it is, but also because of the rarity of finding it in America!

BANNER!!!!!BANNER!!!!!BANNNER!!!!!BANNNER!!!!!BANNNER!!!!!BANNER!!!!!BANNER!!!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Just an incredible find there guys! :o Really enjoyed the video too!
Don't hold back now . . . tell us all how you guys really felt finding the Shilling! :laughing7:

Congrats again and my Banner votes in! :icon_thumright:

Dave

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Josh you definitely did not disappoint in recovering that most beautiful coin, WOW! :hello2: That is one of the most stunning coins I think I have ever seen not to mention how old it is. :headbang:

After I read Jeffs pm to me the other day regarding the cleaning of his half dime he mentioned that you guys would be heading out again. I just knew, just knew, just knew that one of you were going to make a stunning find. Congrats again my man, beautiful, absolutely beautiful! Great job on the video to Jeff! The vote is in Josh! This should truly be up above!!

I still keep saying that they should just put up maybe a mini banner up top for you & Jeff for all your outstanding finds!!

IM

U

umrgolf

Ironman! said:
Well Josh you definitely did not disappoint in recovering that most beautiful coin, WOW! :hello2: That is one of the most stunning coins I think I have ever seen not to mention how old it is. :headbang:

After I read Jeffs pm to me the other day regarding the cleaning of his half dime he mentioned that you guys would be heading out again. I just knew, just knew, just knew that one of you were going to make a stunning find. Congrats again my man, beautiful, absolutely beautiful! Great job on the video to Jeff! The vote is in Josh! This should truly be up above!!

I still keep saying that they should just put up maybe a mini banner up top for you & Jeff for all your outstanding finds!!

IM

thanks, a lot of fun to make.. I really got skunked yesterday :laughing9: a bullet and couple other little things ::) :laughing7:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic coin :headbang: cant dig better then that the woods loves silver . Great find Jim :thumbsup:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Super old Silver!
Looking great, thanks for the tale & vid.
Hoping you pull some more from your spot!! Banner Vote In! :notworthy:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another great find Josh. :icon_thumleft: They dont come any better then that one. :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Josh , Very tough coin to find and a great one as well !! Banner vote is in!! :headbang: Hope to see it up there , very worthy . Wish some folks would quit trying to steal your thunder, by posting a pic of a coin they found. ::) dawg

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Got my BANNER vote Josh :icon_thumright: What a beautiful piece of History,Congratulation's buddy :thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's my William III shilling

First I want to say awesome find guys! In addition to being a rare find here in the states, its in unbelievable condition as well. Since Jeff mentioned about me finding one of those thought I'd post it. I dug it about 10 years ago in Hampton, and it was the first time I broke the 1700 barrier. That was an incredible experience for sure. But it was a pure luck find as it ended up being in the top of a dirt pile next to an 18" hole the homeowner had just dug in his yard. So that scratch on the front was not done by me as I literally just reached down and plucked it right off the dirt pile. It would have been way too deep for just about any machine to find it, so like I said, it was an incredible stroke of good fortune. Anyway, here's a couple pics I just took this morning. Congrats again on a super coin!

Attachments

• 1697c.jpg
    1697c.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,810
  • 1697b.jpg
    1697b.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3,802

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really nice coin! Congrats! Hogge :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250

1695 Silver :notworthy: I can only dream of ever finding one. Here is wishing you continued success :thumbsup:

VPR

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Antiquarian said:
Just an incredible find there guys! :o Really enjoyed the video too!
Don't hold back now . . . tell us all how you guys really felt finding the Shilling! :laughing7:

Congrats again and my Banner votes in! :icon_thumright:

Dave

Congrats on making the BANNER man!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread