πŸ₯‡ BANNER William III Shilling!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: What's going on guys! Today, Jeff and I decided to head back down to one of my old honey holes that I've been digging at on and off for the last couple of years, the same one that Jeff dug the stellar 1861 Half Dime at a few days ago. As I told him the other day, "there's still more stuff in here to be found" well we found out just how true that was AGAIN today! After a couple hours of digging we wandered into one of the areas that use to be an old colonial homesite on the top of a hill and we began to get the nice iron signals all over. Now up until this time we had only a few bullets between us and we were just leisurely swinging and all of a sudden I got a NICE signal hitting in the 70s and I at once called Jeff over to listen to it with his machine....he came on over and scanned it and agreed it was hittting in the 70s on his too! I sank my shovel in and dug a nice BIG hole and dug down about 5" and then started probing the hole with my Propointer. When it started freaking out, I rubbed the side of the hole with the tip and suddenly a silver milled edge was exposed and both Jeff and I was thinking Reale at that point!!! When I popped it out, it didn't quite look right for a Reale and I was thinking, is that King George?? NOPE, after blowing the loose dirt away I could see William in Latin on the edge and at that point knew almost certainly that it was a William III shilling but STILL couldn't believe it and had to get Jeff to confirm what I was seeing :o :o :o Indeed, thats what it is he said! My nerves were shot at that point as it was in unbelievable good shape! Hands down the BEST milled coin I've ever dug! When we got back to the house, Jeff grabbed his 1697 William coin from earlier this year that we thought was a shilling. Turns out, we measured them and Jeff's is a sixpence (21 mm) and mine was the shilling (25mm). Enjoy the pictures! Josh

Here's a couple in-situ shots after rinsing with water about five minutes after dug

William III Shillinga.jpg

IMG_0129a.jpg

Look at the gilding left on this flat button that was about 20 yards from the coin :o
IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

1695 William III Shilling

MD Pics 1031a.jpg

MD Pics 1030.jpg

Jeff's 1697 sixpence next to my 1695 shilling

IMG_0132b.jpg

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 1695 William III Shilling

Congrat's on th banner find, great condition. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome dug coin. A very nice coin, period.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other

Congrats on making the Banner. This one certainly was a no-brainer...

Brian in MA

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Weldone on the Banner Josh :notworthy:..you must have to be American to make it with a W111shilling :wink: :D

SS

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JOSH,
CONGRATS ON MAKING YET ANOTHER BANNER FIND!!!! :occasion18: :wav: :blob6: :blob1: :blob3: :hello2: :headbang: :hello2: :headbang:

You guys are knocking them dead out there.
-Doug-

U

umrgolf

Silver Searcher said:
Weldone on the Banner Josh :notworthy:..you must have to be American to make it with a W111shilling :wink: :D

SS

Hey, watch the video! I gave yours a little noise :wink: :laughing7:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf2010 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

I did :)

U

umrgolf

Silver Searcher said:
umrgolf2010 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Oh, not enough noise I guess :laughing9: Yours was a great find too :o was hoping Josh's would have that "y" york mintmark

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf2010 said:
Silver Searcher said:
umrgolf2010 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Oh, not enough noise I guess :laughing9: Yours was a great find too :o was hoping Josh's would have that "y" york mintmark
I haven't got a problem with mine not making Banner, just seems strange...perhaps 10 is the ilimit :laughing9:

SS

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wow, simply .... wow ....

big congrats

vp

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold

Too cool, congrats on an oldie in awesome condition!!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
umrgolf2010 said:
Silver Searcher said:
umrgolf2010 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

I haven't got a problem with mine not making Banner, just seems strange...perhaps 10 is the ilimit :laughing9:

SS

I just signed on to see that it made the banner. It doesn't take anything away from you Colin, you're a stellar digger and have made some amazing finds over the past couple years and some Banner finds that are nothing less than Incredible! You've recovered some of the best finds I've seen on TreasureNet hands down!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Congratulations on such an incredible find! That's what I was talking about when I said you have to hunt those woods over and over again, even though signals are far and few between. Because as you've proved, one random drop can make it all worth while. Now what I would do with those woods, is start griding (at least in a back and forth pattern) small approximate 25 yard sections at a time, going very slow, and staying on as much as possible a straight line even when it takes you through briar patches and thick undergrowth, and be sure to swing the coil up and around each tree trunk. You'd be surprized how many good targets are right next to small tree trunks. Also, you have to remember that the odds are pretty good that other things were dropped besides that 1695 Shilling. By the way, how big is that shilling compared to a quarter?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Lord, what a coin! :o That is a well-deserved Banner, my friend. One incredible find--right off the boat, into the pocket, and lost in the dirt. With a coin that lightly worn, you know it was dropped in the 1600s. What a site. What a find.

Best Wishes,

Buck

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting