Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, this buddy stops over one day with pictures of an old house foundation.

Hard to get to? says I

No! says he.

Where? says I

Just take this two-track road...easy to find...just a short ways...not far...says he

So without checking any other documents, I drive all the way over there. Sure enough, the road is where he said it would be. So I drive in expecting this easy cool hunt....WRONG WRONG WRONG!

I drive in about 200 feet and the road is so bad I have to walk. I grab the detector and shovel and start walking...and walking...and walking.

After about an hour and several miles later I decided either I missed it or it's not exactly "not far."

I did have some fun however. I got lots of needed exercise and enjoyed a nice day in the woodland. Here are some photos I took of some old stumps still standing from the 1800's lumber era. A lone apple tree tells me I was close.

I did swing the detector on the dirt two-track and found 1 Memorial cent, a 30-06 shell, and assorted other junk.

I'll find the exact spot and go back next week.

To be continued.

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ok...great story...but I was able to see the foundation right behind that stump...maybe if you hadnt of been so busy posing your detector you might have seen it....by the way "Do you wear glasses?' .....have you thought about them? .......But dont feel too bad....because I couldnt see one sighting of the elusive goose.... :P :P

........I know.... I know....Rule # 2

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
gypsyheart said:
Ok...great story...but I was able to see the foundation right behind that stump...maybe if you hadnt of been so busy posing your detector you might have seen it....by the way "Do you wear glasses?' .....have you thought about them? .......But dont feel too bad....because I couldnt see one sighting of the elusive goose.... :P :P

LOL! You crack me up gypsy! ;D

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, I've done that before. We were on a gravel road that turned into a dirt road, that turned into muddy bunch of ruts, that turned into a sea of mud. When we were finally able to stop without risking getting stuck, we find this old run-down house/junk yard that no one could possibly be living in, right?... Wrong!
Remember the guy that played the banjo in the movie Deliverance? I think it was his cousin who lived there. :o :o :o

R

rvbvetter

See! Now there's your problem right there!! Your sweeping the wrong end of your detector on the ground again.
I know the Tesoro manual is not very thourough, but SHEESH!!

HH

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
rvbvetter said:
See! Now there's your problem right there!! Your sweeping the wrong end of your detector on the ground again.
I know the Tesoro manual is not very thourough, but SHEESH!!

HH

opps! :-[ ah, thanks for the tip! I was wondering why I was only getting the depth of the Explorer II ;D

R

rvbvetter

The depth is limitless pointing in that direction. Who knows, it might even help the Tesoro gain some depth. ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Michigan Badger said:
gypsyheart said:

But admit it...be honest...Its ok ...I wont tell....but you did go back and look at those pictures didnt you??????

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
gypsyheart said:
Michigan Badger said:
gypsyheart said:

But admit it...be honest...Its ok ...I wont tell....but you did go back and look at those pictures didnt you??????

Well....maybe just a peek. But just a peek mind you ::)

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Is that there detector a Blue-tic or a Walker......
Its the last pic....Im picturing a guy slowly rolling down a two track with his detector in the back of the truck.Suddenly the detector starts goin crazy...bouncin around and beepin.The guy stops , jumps out, and drops the tailgate.The detector hurls itself out and flys down an old deer trail with the guy stumbling behind tryin to keep up.The beeping reaches a fever pitch as the detectorist ambles up to the old apple tree.His machine is diggin its coil into the bark, trying to get a little nearer its quarry...its sceamin...penny/dime...penny/dime.The hunter takes a few steps back and gets his first glimpse of the tiny Indian head penny..shaking...clinging to the uppermost branches of the old tree......

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Old growth cut-off and apple trees...Looks like your in my kinda area...Good luck next trip Badger...Joe

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful pictures....looks like a great day to be out in the woods. :)

I know what you mean, Badger. I've gotten directions to many cellarholes and people will always say...."it's right there. You can't miss it." Ya right. That's why I usually ask them to take me to it..if possible. Save's me alot of walking around in circles.

Good luck!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you go back yet!!!? Bet there's something great there somewhere!!!!

;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nana40 said:
Did you go back yet!!!? Bet there's something great there somewhere!!!!

;D

Haven't gone back yet, Nana. I plan to met with the person who told me about it and find out what went wrong.

The last thing I want to do is walk that 6 miles again. It puts me in danger of losing weight! ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread