Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scarce Class of 1914 Ring - Fresno State

Was out at Golden Gate Park (Big Rec) for a night hunt and found this 22K Class of a very scarce 1914 ring for "Fresno State Normal". "Fresno State Normal" was the original name of Fresno State University. The college was established in 1911 and basically stopped being called Fresno State Normal after 1916 until finally becoming a 4 year university in 1921. The 6th oldest college in California. The University is still trying to determine how many actually graduated that year but, very few as it was mostly just a 2 year program in 1914.

I have contacted the University and they intend to write a story about it in the FSU Bulldog Newsletter. I have also been contacted by several people in Administration and from the Alumni Association so far regarding the story of finding this ring. I have been told by everyone that I have talked to so far that there is no record of any class rings that said "Fresno State Normal" ever being made!

2ce0kmdss.jpg
Thanks for looking!

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State"

No name inscribed inside or anywhere . . . :-\

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Sweeeeet find right there, congrats!!!!!! :icon_pirat:

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From the land of the Bluenose....it might be unique me bouy. Great shape for all the years!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

You my friend have the one to prove them wrong! A one in a million find. Congrats.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

that is really a nice ring! congrats

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer

Mark That is a sweet find congrats Banner! :headbang:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow, what a find! The 22K explains the great condition. How deep was it and what kind of signal did you get? They sure had an odd way of putting the year on that ring!
You got my banner vote...for a great find and the rarity!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Incredibly cool find there Mark! :notworthy:
Very decent of you to contact the university in regard to it! :icon_thumright:

F

Felinepeachy

You are just kickin' butt here lately. Good for you, you deserve it Mark. I know how hard you work for your finds. :hello2: :notworthy:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that is a great find! It possibly was a school teachers ring, not a graduation ring.

And I'm pretty sure there weren't many teachers there then. :thumbsup:

This desrves to be on the banner.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you sure it is 1914? It looks to me like "14 Fresno State Normal 1911" But, I might not be looking at it right! Either way, it's a great find.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fyrffytr1 said:
Are you sure it is 1914? It looks to me like "14 Fresno State Normal 1911" But, I might not be looking at it right! Either way, it's a great find.

U saw that too. I thought 1911. Either way that is one old class ring. Beautiful condition. My oldest is 1922. Congrats on finding that one. That is a find of a lifetime if you ask me. :notworthy:

Also Fresno State Normal was founded in 1911 so I bet that is 1911 right fyrfytr..

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A Huge Sincere THANKS for all of the kind comments, information and banner nods. :thumbsup:

fyrffytr1 said:

You guys bring up a great point . . . So far, this ring has everyone at FSU baffled. They say that there were only 11 graduates in 1914 and no written record of any rings ever officially offered back then. I never thought to consider it a 1911 Graduation Ring with the number 14 on it. But we have been wondering if it was a faculty ring. I have lots of interest and great comments from the FSU admin that have contacted me so far. This is by far my most interesting and intriguing find in 25+ years of detecting. Will keep everyone updated with anything that I hear from FSU.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other

Way Way Cool!
Looking forward to hearing more when you find out.
Congrats on a great find. That 22K melts me!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I thought that '1914' was cast rather oddly! No doubt about it, that is 1911. Now, I am wondering if the '14' could be '114', but, I don't really think so. The '14' obviously has some prominent reference....maybe a Teacher's Union number? or '14th' in the class, or a jersey number (doubt they had a team, the Freson Grapes, ;D ).........or??

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Roland58 said:
I thought that '1914' was cast rather oddly! No doubt about it, that is 1911. Now, I am wondering if the '14' could be '114', but, I don't really think so. The '14' obviously has some prominent reference....maybe a Teacher's Union number? or '14th' in the class, or a jersey number (doubt they had a team, the Fresno Grapes, ;D ).........or??

Under exam on the loop . . I really don't think it's a "114", just "14" inside a seperate little oval (not inside the horseshoe like to other date 1911). Still can't figure out what the 14 could possibly stand for :dontknow:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:notworthy: You The Man! :notworthy:
WOW!!!...I just can't believe that our Prestigious University here in Fresno CA can't figure this one out :icon_scratch:.
:read2: checking my notes I'd say that...."IT'S A PERSONAL THING" that some student had made for self possibly.... :dontknow:........I think :dontknow:
Any way it really is a gorgeous looking ring and congratulations on the find because it's :lurk: "PRICELESS".
My advice is to hold onto it tightly.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats on you Banner find :thumbsup:
The ring is very intriguing,what a wonderful piece of history :hello2:
HH Soup

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

BeachBumm said:
Roland58 said:
I thought that '1914' was cast rather oddly! No doubt about it, that is 1911. Now, I am wondering if the '14' could be '114', but, I don't really think so. The '14' obviously has some prominent reference....maybe a Teacher's Union number? or '14th' in the class, or a jersey number (doubt they had a team, the Fresno Grapes, ;D ).........or??

Under exam on the loop . . I really don't think it's a "114", just "14" inside a seperate little oval (not inside the horseshoe like to other date 1911). Still can't figure out what the 14 could possibly stand for :dontknow:

Did they have any kind of sport? The 14 could have been some one's jersey number.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread