First Silver!!

OmgFathead

Jul 19, 2010
Cantonment, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Garrett AT pro, Garrett Ace 250
Have been too busy to hunt for the past two months. Got a chance to hit a spot with my buddy the other day and glad I did. Got my first silver it was about 4 inches down in clean dry sand. Almost didn't dig it because the ace250 couldn't give me a solid hit on it ( it would only beep in one direction and id. would jump all over the coin section). I have found myself in a situation where I can drop the $$ on a new rig thinking about either Etrac or V3i still doing the research but leaning towards the etrac as of now.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really crisp detail on your Merc! Nice find. You'll never forget this. I could take you right to the spot I dug for my first Merc. Stay in there, much more to come your way!!!

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Congrats on a spectacular looking Merc... Great Condition. :thumbsup:

jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice piece, I like the details. I also own a Garrett Ace 250, and have had similar issues with it. Then again I am still obtaining experience detecting and I heard of other more costly detectors acting as oddly. I think for its price, it does the job well and its of decent enough quality.

Corinth1812

Jun 16, 2009
Corinth, Illinois It aint on the map! Southern
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/sunray probe, Excelerator EQ2 coil
Thats an awsome merc, great picture of it. I own an E-trac and even it gives me odd signals, they all do it, if fact i would say that most of the good coins ive dug were all odd sounds, its just part of it. Nice coin hipe you find many more.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on your first silver. The Etrac is a great machine.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find..Sure is a sharp one..

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver :icon_thumright: Man, that's quite a jump from an Ace 250 to an Etrac. Best of luck !!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver!! Mine was a Merc too....42, 43, or 44.....special find!!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Blind Squirrel said:
Congrats on your first silver :icon_thumright: Man, that's quite a jump from an Ace 250 to an Etrac. Best of luck !!!

Nah. That's not a jump. The first detector I have ever owned/used/held was my F75, not quite, 3 months ago and I don't regret starting at a more capable machine, at all! Maybe that is not a "jump", probably, more like a "leap." Not saying that would be for everyone, just that it worked out great for me.

caveman2

Jun 12, 2010
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
i HAVE AN ACE 250, FOUND A 1944 MERC. IT WAS JUMPING FROM A PENNY TO A DIME. IT WAS STAYING CONSISTANT THOUGH. THE PENNY AND DIME IS RIGHT IN THE SILVER RANGE ON THE DETECTOR i BELIEVE, BUT SOMETIMES IT DOES MAKE ME MAD, U CAN ELIMINATE SOME OF THAT WITH THE SENSITIVITY SETTING, BUT THEN U CANT GET THE DEEP STUFF I GUESS. ALTHOUGH MY COUSIN OLEKYGROUND HAS A MATRIX M6, AND HE SAYS HIS KINDA DOES THE SAME STUFF. WHEN I GET THE MONEY I WOULD LIKE TO GET A BETTER DETECTOR. I THINK THE ACE 250 IS GREAT, SOMETIMES I GET aggravated, BUT IM STILL LEARNING WHAT KINDA SIGNALS IT GIVES FOR SILVER AND GOLD, FOR PENNYS AND DIMES IT MOST ALWAYS GIVES A STRONG SIGNAL FOR THE RIGHT ONE. AND ABOVE THE COIN VALUE ID IT THE SILVER AND GOLD. IM NOT REAL SURE HOW THERE SUPPOSED TO HIT BUT THE SILVER QUATERS, DIMES, AND A SILVER SPANISH REALE, IT KINDA JUMPS AROUND IN THE SILVER ID RANGE. MY COUSIN TOLD ME HIS M6 HAS A 7 TONE ID. Tone ID mode. The M6 provides 7 different audio tones ranging from low (iron) to high (silver coins). With a little practice one can ID targets based on their audio response and confirm that with the LCD indication. Having either option to choose from is a nice addition. i THINK WHEN I GET THE MONEY i'LL GET SOMETHING LIKE TAHT. BY THE WAY NICE DIME, I FOUND A 44 MERC LAST WEEK. KEEP IT UP :headbang: :headbang:

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver :icon_thumleft:
And a nice detailed coin to.
HH Soup

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice silver!!!!! i like the SAFARI!!! i find deep coins all the time ( but i have used mine for a year ) and i pull dimes at 9 in easy.. MR TUFF

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find on the Silver!!! Better yet!!! Your pictures (((((By far ))))) are the best Pictures of a coin I have ever seen on this site!!!! Let every one know how to take great pictures, Even if that was a worn out merc it would have been a great shot. HH chug and red

OP
OP
OmgFathead

OmgFathead

Jul 19, 2010
Cantonment, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Garrett AT pro, Garrett Ace 250
Now don't get me wrong I love my 250 but I love this hobby more and I feel an upgrade is needed to get the full benefits. Pennies and dimes will usually jump around in the id for me between pennies and dimes but this coin was going from nickel to dollar while in the ground and it was the only target. It seems that the only thing that hits as a dime and stays there are bottle caps and newer pull tabs.
Thank you for the compliment on the pictures. I use a canon power shot 1000A IS and use the macro mode without a flash. I had a little spot of sunlight on my window sill next to me, was too lazy to get up and go outside for a better light source, so I used it.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OmgFathead said:
Now don't get me wrong I love my 250 but I love this hobby more and I feel an upgrade is needed to get the full benefits. Pennies and dimes will usually jump around in the id for me between pennies and dimes but this coin was going from nickel to dollar while in the ground and it was the only target. It seems that the only thing that hits as a dime and stays there are bottle caps and newer pull tabs.
Thank you for the compliment on the pictures. I use a canon power shot 1000A IS and use the macro mode without a flash. I had a little spot of sunlight on my window sill next to me, was too lazy to get up and go outside for a better light source, so I used it.

You did good, no doubt, on both the find and the photos. The side lighting really brought out the detail, even if it was a result of being lazy!! The best locator for you would be the one that you are happy with....regardless of other factors. I think you will find that, even with a 'high dollar' machine, you will still have the issue of proper identifications.....that's not saying a better machine would not do a better job of discrimination and identification. The disc and ID really comes from familiarity with the machine which only comes from experience with it. Once you understand its' language, you will be come much more confident in your targets and better at identification. I'm still on that path and learn something new on every hunt.

You are doing great, best wishes for a successful future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread