Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a Colonial kind of weekend for me. KKC got out in the fields yesterday and today. On Saturday, we hit the field that gave me my 1700s Dutch copper pipe. The farmer harvested the corn at the bottom of the ridge. The iron was intense, but I still got some relics. The find of the day was the 1700s Brown Bess butt plate (or in 2 pieces). :hello2: I found them within 5-10 feet of one another. As you will notice from the pictures, the 2 parts connect perfectly. The butt plate measures at a 5 3/4" in length and 2 1/4" in width. I took a picture of a page from "Archaeological Investigation of Fort Ligonier 1960-1965" by Jacob L. Grimm to show you the one(s) he excavated. The butt plate I excavated looks very similar to the one in the book, which is from an early Brown Bess. I got the 1700s Dutch copper pipe and now this 1700s Brown Bess butt plate from this field. Wow, what a site!

I also dug the small lock plate. I believe it could have been from a Colonial pistol. It measures 2 1/4" in length. To top the day off, I dug 3 buttons. :icon_thumleft:

Today, we got out to a new field in hopes of locating a site that Kyle had researched. We did not find the exact location, but I did get a badly corroded Colonial copper. It is very thin, so it is most likely a counterfeit King George III. I also found what looks like a 1600s nipple button :dontknow: and a couple musketballs.

Keep the passion high! :headbang:

Kirk

Attachments

• DSCF4172.JPG
    DSCF4172.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 885
  • DSCF4168.JPG
    DSCF4168.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 843
  • DSCF4194.JPG
    DSCF4194.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 874
  • DSCF4177.JPG
    DSCF4177.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 859
  • DSCF4184.JPG
    DSCF4184.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 916
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

great digs Kirk :headbang: those don't turn up too often.. like the nipple button too :icon_thumleft:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice bunch of relics. Congrats on the butt plate
Dman

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, a copper is always a nice find no matter what the condition. I Like the butt plate, that site has given you some nice relics. cant wait to see what ya get next. :thumbsup:

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet relics, Kirk, and congrats on the copper.
What's the KKC copper count on the year so far?

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking Colonial finds there Kirk! :o
I love these two pieces. The button is really cool,
what do you feel the plate is from? :icon_scratch:

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• button.JPG
    button.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,275
  • plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 1,288

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Nice bunch of finds :icon_thumleft: I too am curious as to what the oval piece with two holes is :icon_scratch: These seem to get found and posted here from time to time, but I am not sure the question has been answered as to what they are.

Keep postin' my colonial brother :headbang: VPR

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Kirk. I have a piece of Brown Bess butt plate found at a French & Indian War site. It looks like one of your pieces.

Regarding the oval pieces, I have always heard they went on saddles. There was another bracket piece that matches up with the two holes in the oval. The brackets pieces are brass with designs on them and they usually have rust on the ends. I have pictures of both pieces, but they are on my computer at home. However, I still have not seen a colonial saddle with these ovals on it. I really haven't been able to find pictures of these early saddles on the internet.

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Your "lock plate" (single screw side plate) looks like it might be a later piece than the other finds.

Sure looks like a BB butt plate, tho we won't know for sure till you go back out and find the tang. :laughing7:

Super buttons. :icon_thumright:

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello2:
Great digs Kirk! I love that butt plate to the Brown Bess. I noticed the British Broad Arrow above the botton screw hole. Looking good bro!
Keith :)

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Kick-Azz digs Kirk'dude :thumbsup:

I can clearly see the British broad arrow SC Keith pointed out. I have found several relics in the past marked with the arrow.

Keep diggin brotha :headbang:
D.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Bro, that Brown Bess butt plate is a killer find and I'm glad you found the two pieces. The broad arrow is identifiable above the bottom hole. Good eye, Keith! Awesome! :headbang:

You get the weekend find. I probably won't post my beautiful 1843 Braided Hair now. :laughing9:

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a better picture of the British broad arrow. Thank you, Keith, for that identification. You are the best! I am super thrilled about excavating this amazing relic. I could bet the farm that whomever settled at this site was a Revolutionary war patriot. Sweet! I am pumped!

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

Attachments

• DSCF4170.JPG
    DSCF4170.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 783
OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Didn't you used to be a coin hunter? :laughing7:

Give me a relic like this over a copper. :wink:

Kirk

SC Keith said:
Great digs Kirk! I love that butt plate to the Brown Bess. I noticed the British Broad Arrow above the botton screw hole. Looking good bro!

Thanks, bro! I am pumped in a Colonial way.

Kirk :hello:

Steve in PA said:
Nice finds Kirk. I have a piece of Brown Bess butt plate found at a French & Indian War site. It looks like one of your pieces.

Regarding the oval pieces, I have always heard they went on saddles. There was another bracket piece that matches up with the two holes in the oval. The brackets pieces are brass with designs on them and they usually have rust on the ends. I have pictures of both pieces, but they are on my computer at home. However, I still have not seen a colonial saddle with these ovals on it. I really haven't been able to find pictures of these early saddles on the internet.

I have not seen many of these posted on the forum. Banner? :laughing7: Nah. :laughing7: I am thrilled. I want more relics.

Kirk

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Didn't you used to be a coin hunter? :laughing7:

Give me a relic like this over a copper. :wink:

Kirk

SC Keith said:

Thanks, bro! I am pumped in a Colonial way.

Kirk :hello:

Steve in PA said:

I have not seen many of these posted on the forum. Banner? :laughing7: Nah. :laughing7: I am thrilled. I want more relics.

Kirk
Nice colonial finds, Kirk :headbang: I dug an posted a Bess butt plate . Great to see another one dug ! Well Done 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread