more crowns and cannons than Im used to......

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
more crowns and cannons than I'm used to......

.....but it's something I'd like to get used to :headbang:

Me and Iron Patch finally got the go ahead on a field we have been looking at for years, after a few trips of nobody home and cows all over the place, today the farmer was home and in a good mood and so were his cows!

Things started off slow, but after the patch of iron was found so were all of our great finds of the day. While IP was banging out the cannon balls I was steady digging all of my "10" old military buttons; and few other goodies to boot. The usual plain buttons were everpresent, but I also got a harp, crotal bell, and a broadarrow marked gun brass. Scored some old coppers, which seemed weird that there weren't more, maybe next time.

The highlight was the amount and diversity of old military buttons. We always knew we would score a site like this someday, and today was the day! This place seemed like it was loaded like a freight train, smoking and rolling like it couldn't be stopped :laughing9:

I got 4 RSLA arty's ,2 flats and 2 domed. Two pewters, center of an early militia, and an unkwown right now. Militia officer's buttons, two different ones! Another domed button also to be i.d.ed. And finally, a nice cuff from a rev war officer. One cool find was a little gold crown? could be a button or cufflink piece...oooh shiny 8)

I'm totally looking forward to our next trip back, although it won't be fast and furious like today, the percentages will give us hope of popping something decent.

Attachments

• ba.JPG
    ba.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 863
  • cops.JPG
    cops.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 869
  • cnc.JPG
    cnc.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 867
  • gcrwn.JPG
    gcrwn.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 862
  • militia.JPG
    militia.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 874
  • kar.JPG
    kar.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 863
Upvote 0

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Re: more crowns and cannons than I'm used to......

romeo-1 said:
Wow...what a hunt! I'm loading the car!!!

On you way there, how about you come by my place and pick me up to?
What a fantastic relic hunt, your buttons are banner worthy, and I have a feeling that the gold crown has an interesting story to tell.

James
HomesteadHunter

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

man a hunt there!!! hadn't had a day like that in a long long time.....maybe I'm due today!! pound that site my friend...your post get my blood pumping or is that boiling :laughing9:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Awesome array of finds by you and IP!! A dream hunt 4 sure! Congrats!!

U

umrgolf

very worthy day.. shame the gold crown piece wasn't intact :-\ I think a better pic of button would make banner

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

thanks everyone for your positive feedback,
some finds deserve praise, and they usually do; although my large militia button didn't receive as much attention as the rev war period one , to me it was a much better find....even though 200 year old plus buttons show up for us on a regular basis, these do not....
history finds us all and affects us all differently, my heart is with the local scene rather than the international scene, the close to home finds are probably more meaningful to most of us that detect and I'm no different. It's all truly treasure, it's just how we feel about some things more than others, both are rarities and both are good finds, and now that I found two good ones it'll be hard to trump that, but that won't stop me from looking hard for the next one!

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil

amazing finds someday i hope I usually finds great places but always cows and lots of BULL. Great hunt. HH Mark

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax

whoa!! you 2 are burning it up! :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats, one of those days you will remember for a long time, I am sure!! :hello2:

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

55th Massachusetts said:
KINGS AMERICAN REGT. RARE BUTTON!!!!!! BANNER!!!!!!!
REB

Yes, there's no doubt about that one.... especially since I just ID'ed who's button it was! (He was from NY,NY) That's pretty awesome knowing which Rev War Loyalist officer wore it. Now I gotta find me one next hunt! :headbang: I'm not 1000% on this, but the links I have make it seem pretty darn clear.

IH give me a shout... I'll fill you in on what I know.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe I won't have to find one! ;D Believe it or not that same soldier was first settled where I was digging my Rev buttons 10 years ago. Now if I can figure out which piece of land he owned.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Maybe I won't have to find one! ;D Believe it or not that same soldier was first settled where I was digging my Rev buttons 10 years ago. Now if I can figure out which piece of land he owned.

How cool is that to be able to ID the actual owner! Too cool. I did a similar search on the RA Beltplate and think i have a pretty good idea. Can't be positive but more than likely!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

How cool is that to be able to ID the actual owner! Too cool. I did a similar search on the RA Beltplate and think i have a pretty good idea. Can't be positive but more than likely!

He settled the site we were hunting in 1796. That's why the balance of the military buttons were later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread