Ive been dyin! Old Farmhouse finds

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've been dyin'! Old Farmhouse finds

About ten days ago, a pre-1850 farmhouse fell into my lap (well, not literally). A few weeks back, I asked one of the ladies I do work for if I could detect her yard; she said sure, but that her husband had done it a lot when he was living. Two weeks ago, she called and wanted to introduce me to her son, who is renovating an old barn into his house. He already lives in the lower level and is doing spectacular things with the upper (I got the tour). He told me a little about his property, and I realized that most of it had been badly disrupted; anything old would have been either churned up or covered. I noticed an old brick farmhouse just across the road, and asked if that had gone with the barn at one time. Yes it had, but it wasn't his; the owner was selling and had moved into town (where I live). I knew that's where I really wanted to be! Shortly afterward, the son's wife came out and was chatting; again, the subject of the farmhouse came up. She told me to just go over there, and she'd call the owners. If it wasn't okay, she'd call me back over. I went over, the call was made and all the owner wanted was to see what I found. He's the President of the local Historical Society there (settled about two hundred years), and he knew that I'd probably find something of interest :wink:.
I got in a couple hours the Saturday before Thanksgiving (the day TNet went down, I believe), and had success. I found two war nickels, each one paired in a hole with a wheat and a 1952D Franklin Half (just my 3rd); it's been a while since I found a half, so I was very pleased! The Franklin came out of the hole just as a full moon was rising and night was upon me. I called the property owner that night and told him what I'd found so far, and the talk turned to possibly digging the old privy or privies. He thought he knew where one may have been, but is a little cautious; he thinks he has a serious buyer looking at the property. On the other hand, he knew a guy who dug privies in the past, and is very aware of the goodies that might be there. I have a feeling his historical interest will win out. Using PennPilot, I found an aerial photo from 1938 and I know where the privy was then (just a few feet north of where he thinks it was). Anyway, I went back Sunday and took my radio. While listening to the Steeler game, I had another good day, starting with a 47 Rosey. After a few more wheats and some more modern coins, the find of the day appeared: a 1902 Barber quarter. Been awhile since one of those appeared for me, so I was again quite pleased. The Steelers won, darkness fell and I made plans to return another day (and still hadn't found any 19th century coins). Wednesday was the day, and the first signal was an 1880 Indian head penny. I think I also found an 09 wheat that day. Went til dark again, then didn't get back out until yesterday. With my radio in tow, I listened again as the Steelers eeked out a 19-16 victory; minutes later, I found a 1916 Barber dime. I wish they'd won 18-16! ;D In a small area, near that Barber, I pulled another war nickel and then a very nice 09VDB; the soil is very kind there to older wheats. I've pulled some interesting relics, including one I'll post that has patent dates of June 27, 1871 and Feb 3, 1874. One hole also had a clay marble in it. My suspicions about the farmhouse were correct!

Attachments

• billbarber 003 (Small).jpg
    billbarber 003 (Small).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,511
  • billbarber 004 (Small).jpg
    billbarber 004 (Small).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,510
  • swainrelics 006 (Small).jpg
    swainrelics 006 (Small).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,494
  • swainrelics 001 (Small).jpg
    swainrelics 001 (Small).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,507
  • swainindian (Small).jpg
    swainindian (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,506
  • brazilbarber 002 (Small).jpg
    brazilbarber 002 (Small).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,517
  • brazilbarber 001 (Small).jpg
    brazilbarber 001 (Small).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,510
  • billbarber 005 (Small).jpg
    billbarber 005 (Small).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,512
  • fullmoonben 001 (Small).jpg
    fullmoonben 001 (Small).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,494
  • fullmoonben 002 (Small).jpg
    fullmoonben 002 (Small).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,503
Upvote 0
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: I've been dyin'! Old Farmhouse finds

A few things I forgot to mention: what appears to be some kind of railroad tag; it has the 817 on it. I also forgot to post a picture of the item with patent dates on it; I'll have to download and post later; I'm very curious about what this is. Also, a Cracker Jack mystery club token and a round tag of some sort that says Watch and the number 34. Some kind of claim check?

Attachments

• billbarber 001 (Small).jpg
    billbarber 001 (Small).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,472

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds.... greetings ! :hello:

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow ! That Franklin is Sweet ! Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

It's good to have Treasurenet back up!

Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds Congratulations

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very cool finds and nice people to let ya run off and hunt!!!

Saabman

Aug 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
F75

Sweet finds!!!! WTG!!!!

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010

awesome hunt!! hit it hard before it sells nice finds krazyhorses

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Nice stuff, I got A feeling your going to dig something awsome there ,,not that you havent already!!!!!

Great site cant wait for more!!!! :headbang:

art

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW ... :o

Benny Halfs RULE ... :wink:

Congratulations Henry ... :headbang:

~ Al

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like you had some fun digging. Hopefully something older will turn up if the place has been settled 200 years. Also, hope the weather stays mild through December around here.

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009

:hello2: :icon_thumleft: Great finds !!!!!!!!!! Love the Ben !!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Steve in PA said:
Looks like you had some fun digging. Hopefully something older will turn up if the place has been settled 200 years. Also, hope the weather stays mild through December around here.
Not sure the weather is going to cooperate with us; the forecast for the next week is pretty bleak and we have some snow this morning >:(.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You find the good sites and make the best of it, nice finds! Good luck with the privy dig, you might consider biting the bullet and offer the finds from the privy back to the owner in the form of a shadow box type thing or somehow split the finds or whatever. Take pictures if you dig. HH, Mike

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Henry,
I see you are "tearing it up" lately. Nice batch of finds. I've only found one Franklin half in my years of detecting. :icon_thumleft:

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions