Welcome Back T-Net…Scored my Oldest Silver Yet!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past Saturday morning I decided to hunt a site I hadn’t hunted in a couple years. I have previously hunted this site five or six times along with several other hunters. It has been a productive site and is in fact where I found a 1784 1 reale during my second year of detecting. My rationale for returning to this hunted site was I’m pretty sure that my detecting skills have improved dramatically since the last time I was there. I used to avoid the heaviest concentrations of iron but have since changed my style to focus on the iron as well as all around the iron patch. Needless to say, I am so glad I went back!

I went straight to the iron patch and the first target was the shoe buckle fork tine. Good sign if this had been missed so many times before. Next couple targets were a couple plain flat buttons including a heavy silver plated lead backed button. Next two targets were the lead bale seal and the navy button. I was able to research the button and it is a 1787 Royal Navy officer’s cuff button (shank is intact).

The last target of the hunt was found well off the main site. It is most definitely the oldest coin I have found…it’s a 1676 Louis XIV 4 Sol! Very early French silver. I know it looks like a 1696 but this style of 4 Sol was only minted from 1674-1677 (Someone please correct me if I am wrong or confirm that I am correct). Funny thing is I almost didn’t dig it. When I was pinpointing it only sounded in one direction…must have been on edge. It wasn’t very deep so I decided to dig in and pull out some iron…and when I flipped the plug it was sitting on the blade of my shovel! I knew it was old silver right away but didn’t know how old until I got home. Very pleased.

Ps…this was going to be the back-up site for when IronHorse was here…now I’m glad we didn’t need a back-up. ;D

Attachments

• 27 November 2010 020.jpg
    27 November 2010 020.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,493
  • 27 November 2010 021.jpg
    27 November 2010 021.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,483
  • 27 November 2010 022.jpg
    27 November 2010 022.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 27 November 2010 024.jpg
    27 November 2010 024.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,473
  • 27 November 2010 034.jpg
    27 November 2010 034.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,468
  • 27 November 2010 029.jpg
    27 November 2010 029.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,465
Upvote 0

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
hey that's some sweet silver....you have to show me that place again!

even though we only looked at a couple of fields, I know you got a lot of untapped potential in your area, can't wait to try it again

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Romeo on one Fine AZZ piece of silver!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ironhorse said:
hey that's some sweet silver....you have to show me that place again!

even though we only looked at a couple of fields, I know you got a lot of untapped potential in your area, can't wait to try it again

Anytime IH! I found that second site that we went scouting for. We were actually two fields over from the actual site. Same guy owns it so permission is there. I'm holding on to this one until spring...maybe you guys can make the trip over and we'll hit it fresh.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, with nice mixture of finds, and the 4 Sol without a doubt would have made anybody's hunt a success! Congrats

Don

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch, eh? :icon_scratch: He may strive and strive, but he ain't no Romeo. :D :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Kirk

Attachments

• Fat_Boy_Patch_arm-1.jpg
    Fat_Boy_Patch_arm-1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 648
  • Fat_Boy_Patch_arm-1.jpg
    Fat_Boy_Patch_arm-1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 643

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoe Buckle belt tine...What...I thought it was a the first corn on the cob holder....nice digs.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on ur oldest silver!!! MR TUFF

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations in digging your oldest silver!! Keep that up and somebody's going to be jumping over the bridge permanently. :)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj said:
Congratulations in digging your oldest silver!! Keep that up and somebody's going to be jumping over the bridge permanently. :)

Nah...the big "Dirty Money" is still on that other side of the strait.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
pepperj said:

I think both sides are good, have advantages, and disadvantages. There's really no way we could ever keep pace with the really old stuff from Romeo's area, just don't have many of those early sites left to find. I'm pretty cob content though. :headbang:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
pepperj said:

I think both sides are good, have advantages, and disadvantages. There's really no way we could ever keep pace with the really old stuff from Romeo's area, just don't have many of those early sites left to find. I'm pretty cob content though. :headbang:

I'm heading out tomorrow before sunrise to hit a couple spots...prediction: Spanish, Royal Artillery and a couple crusty coppers...and another bale seal...but I would kill for a cob!

oh...and a cannonball!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
pepperj said:

I'm heading out tomorrow before sunrise to hit a couple spots...prediction: Spanish, Royal Artillery and a couple crusty coppers...and another bale seal...but I would kill for a cob!

oh...and a cannonball!

We're going too. I've had an area in mind for quite a while and just seen a map that I think might put some 1770s houses in the area. Going to check some aerials and if there's a few good looking fields that's where we'll head. We do have a couple more ideas as well so should dig a few targets. Given the way my Fall has gone I'd be a fool to predict a good find.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
pepperj said:

oh...and a cannonball!

We're going too. I've had an area in mind for quite a while and just seen a map that I think might put some 1770s houses in the area. Going to check some aerials and if there's a few good looking fields that's where we'll head. We do have a couple more ideas as well so should dig a few targets. Given the way my Fall has gone I'd be a fool to predict a good find.

We'll have to wait and see which side comes out with the finds today. Good luck to you both. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread