Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, welcome back TNet! I know I am not alone in saying it was not easy getting by without it!

I have not done much detecting, except a bit here and there. On one of these outings I had an hour at dusk while waiting to pick up my son at the movie theater. I hit a very hard hit site and dug an unusual suspender buckle, and then I got a twist top type of signal at 0 inches. I pushed aside some dust and was surprised to see an Indian Head on the surface. It turns out to be an 1869 with a repunched 186! I am not familiar with the Breen varieties, but I think it is a scarce variety.

Then one day last week I returned to the field that has produced more than 200 buttons and a dozen coppers and some Spanish Silver. The signals are getting very sparse now, and there are many deep bits of iron. I dug many of these questionable signals and one turned out to be an awesome button (more than 10 inches deep) with a gemstone. I have never seen one like it before. The backmark on top says GILT, but I cannot tell if the bottom one is just a design or if I just cannot make out the mark. Any ID help is appreciated!

Welcome back TNet!

Attachments

• 100_0342.jpg
    100_0342.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 736
  • 100_0339.jpg
    100_0339.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 826
  • 100_0333.jpg
    100_0333.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 643
  • 100_0344.jpg
    100_0344.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 619
  • 100_0345.jpg
    100_0345.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 671
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 663
Upvote 0

pro778

Jan 21, 2008
Forked River, Moorestown, NJ
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 E-TRAC
It always amazing how you find old coins right on the surface and clad down 10 inches. I can't believe what great shape that indian is in. You've really been on a roll lately. HH

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neil, tearing it up again! I am curious, what lead you to the theory that the button is colonial? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Also, did you end up getting an ID on that large cent you dug on our last team hunt? I still haven't ID'd the one I found that day, for I plan to send it away to get cleaned professionally. Yes, the anticipation is killing me!

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Elad said:
Neil, tearing it up again! I am curious, what lead you to the theory that the button is colonial? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Also, did you end up getting an ID on that large cent you dug on our last team hunt? I still haven't ID'd the one I found that day, for I plan to send it away to get cleaned professionally. Yes, the anticipation is killing me!

It is colonial or more likely "post colonial" (1770's to early 1800) based on the shank, which is an "alpha" shank. Alpha shanks are shaped like the Greek letter Alpha. Similar to Omega shanks, but without the typical Omega feet. Omega shanks are soldered onto the back of flat disc buttons leaving "feet" which are slightly raised. Omega shanks are post 1800.

As I originally suspected, the "Large Cent" was not a large cent at all, but a toasted colonial. It was too thin and the VDI was a bit too low for a large cent. It may be another Irish Halfpenny, but it is too far gone to know for sure.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
KRAZYHORSES said:
nice find neal! could the penny be a broken dye? enjoy the hobby scott

These are the known Breen varieties listed:

Repunched Date 1869/186
Repunched Date 1869/1869
Repunched Date 1869/69
Overdate 1869/8 - Refuted

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find, I've never seen one of those before. Is the stone raised or recessed?

Hill

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hill Billy said:
Cool find, I've never seen one of those before. Is the stone raised or recessed?

Hill

It is recessed. Here is a closeup of the stone. If you look carefully you can see that there was a ring of dots around it at one time.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 417

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one Neil! Not familiar with that variety. GREAT FIND! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Neil. The injun is in great shape. And I have never scene a button like that either. I like it though. :icon_thumright:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whoa...that button is very unique. What kind of stone do you think it is?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread