Button for the record books? Hope so

carpetbagger

Sep 4, 2006
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250
I had already posted this on the what Is it section and am hoping for a little more traffic here. I found this little badboy on a hillside with 18 other buttons, about 6 of them pewter and the others either flat or dome shaped. I almost dismissed this for a basic cuff button until I noticed the minute detail. I have been unable to locate it in Tice's book or online PLEASE help, Hoping I have something good here.
The eagle/bird looks a little early and it is clutching a bugle or a "Riflemans horn"? I never noticed the stars around the edge until I took the picture. The Back mark Is simply olive branches on one half of the button, no makers name.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff K
By the way this was found in Chester County South Carolina
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet button! I know nothing about it but it looks early 19th century!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button there Jeff :icon_thumright: Not sure of it's origin, but someone on here will come along with some insight. HH Gene

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have an unlisted Rifleman's button there, possibly from a militia unit. Very nice find!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I passed this button on to William Leigh at www.civilwarbuttons.com and he "confirmed" it as an unlisted Riflemens or Rifles Militia button, he even stated they are usually found in SC before I had given him the rest of the details... Outstanding find! Congrats!

MB

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find!
unattributed & rare.
Mr Leigh is helpful & knowledgable, I use his database often & he has also helped personally with some of my IDs :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

MonkeyBoy said:
I passed this button on to William Leigh at www.civilwarbuttons.com and he "confirmed" it as an unlisted Riflemens or Rifles Militia button, he even stated they are usually found in SC before I had given him the rest of the details... Outstanding find! Congrats!

MB

thanks for helpin out with this one MB :headbang:
that's outstanding news carpetbagger :o would you mind posting a nice close-up? would love to see it better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread