Found a Cache!!! Of Arrowheads!!! (New Photos Added!)

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all, its been a while since I have posted anything so, here it goes. I went out to look for arrowheads at a site near my father's house, and then on to another site to look for fossils. Looking for arrowheads didnt go as good as I thought it would at the first site, and neither did looking for fossils. I had been out in the woods for about 4 hours with nothing to show for it, and I was starting to get dehydrated. After another hour I had ran out of water and was going to start heading for home. I was getting severly dehydrated by this time. I walked down a path leading down a hill and as I neared the bottom of the hill, I noticed a glimmer on the ground. I bent down to get a closer look and I saw the form of a spear point laying there on the ground. Right next to it was another, and another! I searched the area, and within a foot on either side I found another 2 points! I went back today and found 3 drills (one was over 3 inches long!!) and 5 more points!!! I talked to Robert Overstreet, the auther of "The Overstreet Guide to Indian Arrowheads", and he told me to send some pictures of the cache to him and he will include them in his next book. I never thought that I would find something this big. I hope you enjoy the pics, and please let me know what you think.

Thanks and HH!

Fox

Scroll down to my last reply for the new photos

Attachments

• cache1.jpg
    cache1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,584
  • cache2.jpg
    cache2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,388
  • cache3.jpg
    cache3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,389
  • cache4.jpg
    cache4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,422
Upvote 2

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a Cache!!! Of Arrowheads!!!

Very nice finds. Wonder why you would find that mix of points etc. in a cache. May have been dropped by the maker himself.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Those are some really nice points. I would go back and look around some more. I would take a shovel and turn some soil up.

Good Luck

Jer

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.

Nice job! They were more than likely made by one knapper for everyone to use when they needed. Lots more out there so keep that site to yourself and have fun.
badandy

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are they really worth that much? I have some that were passed down to me. Burdie

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Burdie said:
Are they really worth that much? I have some that were passed down to me. Burdie

Burdie, the only reason that they are worth that much is because they are from a Cache. Normally they would only be worth a couple hundred dollars a piece.

HH!

Fox

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What would keep a person from finding points in different places and saying they were from a cache?....besides honesty that is

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

packerbacker said:
What would keep a person from finding points in different places and saying they were from a cache?....besides honesty that is

I guess you could only rely on honesty, unless you go for a scientific approach. For example, if you tested the artifacts for different soil conditions. Also, most of the time all the points from a cache will be of the same type and flaking pattern. In my cache, I have noticed that most of the points were made from the same piece of flint (there are horizontal bands going through the flint). Also, if you look at the large point at the top and the one below the drills, you will notice that there is what looks like damage on the edge of the blade. I thought it was damage as well, but after looking closely, I saw that it was not damage but the way it was made. After talking to an expert, I found out that the "cuts" in the side of the blade could be a mark that the knapper used on all of his points. If you look, the marks are on the same spot on the blade.

HH!

Fox

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

Excellant Finds, I Would Love To Find A Haul Like That, In All The Years I Have Been Hunting, I Have Only Found Two, Congrats. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 063.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 063.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 881
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 063.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 063.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 879
OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

thanks for the replies everyone. I went out again tonight and found another 3 points!!! One of them was almost 4 inches long! I will keep you all posted on what else I find.

HH!

Fox

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Here are some photos of the ones I found tonight.

HH!

Fox

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 710
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 710

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
So where do you look?? Is it in creek beds? or just laying in the dirt....and do they get the arrowheads off larger rocks and has anyone found one of those??

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Digging for artifacts is illegal in all states thanks to the antiquities act , unless you found the item prior to 1974 ;D But there is some "Grey" area when you happen to "come upon" one ;D.

I find them here on the Columbia river when the water is low. If I watch the news paper for the daily forecast for the amount of water they will let through, then I can figure out when it is going to be low. It's kind of like the tide tables.

Great finds!!!!

Paul

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bomber said:
can't stop looking ay your pics,BEAUTIFUL!

I cant stop looking at them either! I am going to go back later, after it cools off, to look over the rest of the area.

HH!

Fox

Robbnr

Greenie
Mar 25, 2016
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW THE EXCITEMENT & RUSH OF FINDING ALL THOSE TOGETHER AND WHEN U WASNT EVEN LOOKING FOR THEM TOO! Maybe I'm looking too hard! LOL! THANKS FOR SHARING!

Robbnr

Greenie
Mar 25, 2016
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I just shared a point Ive had few yrs that is the same black/White stone as these you shared pics of from yur cache find.ANY IDEA WHAT THE STONE IS THEIR MADE OF? THE ONLY ONE IVE EVER FOUND OF COLORED THAT WAy.usually all dark grey, light whte almost with lil redish tent too them ect..THANKS FOR SHAREING!
20160129_133904.jpg 20160129_133904.jpg

Robbnr

Greenie
Mar 25, 2016
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
]Nice finds! I just shared a point Ive had few yrs that is the same black/White stone as these you shared pics of from yur cache find.ANY IDEA WHAT THE STONE IS THEIR MADE OF? THE ONLY ONE IVE EVER FOUND OF COLORED THAT WAy.usually all dark grey, light whte almost with lil redish tent too them ect..THANKS FOR SHAREING!
View attachment 1290407 View attachment 1290407 [/QUOTE]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions