Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I decided I would go through the coffee can of coins to see if there were any that looked like doubled die or other missed stamped coins. It took awhile and my arm was getting cramps. I found a 1989-D that has doubling on the date and at the bottom of the D. I took a lot of pics and this is the best I can do.

Attachments

• DSCF0401.JPG
    DSCF0401.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 3,155
  • DSCF0406.JPG
    DSCF0406.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 5,366
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 8,297
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 5,099
Upvote 0

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010
AWESOME!! killing a little time and came up with a DD treasure hunting with out a detector hh scott

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks to be a doubling due to a die deterioration. I think these are fairly common, but still a nice conversation piece.

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Neil in West Jersey said:
It looks to be a doubling due to a die deterioration. I think these are fairly common, but still a nice conversation piece.

I usually see dozens of these in every $25 box I search. Funny thing is that the majority of them are dated in the 1980's.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Neil. I'll have to look that up "die deterioration ". There a other places on the coin that look like it was struck twice and the pics don't show it. Left of liberty looks like it was stamped and the die moved to the right and stamped again. On the back one cent looks the same under "one cent."

http://coins.about.com/od/coinsglossary/g/deterioration.htm

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with die deterioration doubling. It's on both sides. The "8" seams to have the most doubling.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: Still!... it's a good find. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions