FIRST DAY!! WHAT A HAUL?

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
My first day out! About 2 hrs worth of hunting. Pic with curtain hook is from my front sidewalk, one with RR spike is a local park, one with horseshoe is 2nd park. Strange- I found the horseshoe about 8 feet from a horseshoe pit, but it's a SHOE for a HORSE, not a thrower! Found the old pushbutton lightswitch cover near there too. Town is 102 yrs old, and most houses were built in the 19-teens- Westinghouse company town.
What are the odds that the first 2 coins I find are 1999 pennies?

Think I got shafted with this Viper Trident. I SAW the 2nd penny before the MD hit on it, and I swept over it TWICE. I think this thing is an Aquavision with different stickers on it, and a doubled price. Good for clearing the kiddie play area of rusty nails, tho!

That horse shoe made this first day worth the work, if only for the funny location, and the promise of good luck! I'll keep my nose in the dirt, and hope I find another 37,993 pennies to pay for this magnet-on-a-stick!

Attachments

• DSC00181.JPG
    DSC00181.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 597
  • DSC00182.JPG
    DSC00182.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 597
  • DSC00183.JPG
    DSC00183.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 593
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Yes. I'm going to Duck, NC on Sat, and it didn't occur to me to get a detector until a week ago, so I didn't get to do a ton of research. If it doesn't work better in the water, I'll take them up on their 70%-of-price return, and get a used Prism like I should have. I probably won't be searching much water in Western PA anyway.

OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Yes, it does work ok,although it's not easy to pinpoint a target, and it only tells you "something" is there. I tried sweeping some change, to find a good setting, and it couldn't find a clad quarter on a concrete sidewalk, with nothing between the coin and the coil but 10 inches of air. I'll keep fiddling with it.
I cleaned the horseshoe- it was definitely worn by a horse! The front edge is worn down quite a bit.
I'm a little worried that I paid WAY too much for a Chinese copy of a good detector, but I'm willing to give it a chance. Only 1 other person on Treasurenet has commented on this model, and they seem to like it.
I'm going to enjoy searching my in-laws' 50-acre farm. Their family has lived there since 1828, when the house was built. The barn is from 1842. As iron-friendly as this thing is, I think I'll find some neat stuff!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
DOn't give up, keep trying,
got to learn your machine.
Maybe go somewhere where the pickins
are a little easier like a local schoolyard.
Lots of coins for the taking hopefully,
so you can get used to the signals and all.

best of luck!
BDoo

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont give up so easy,theres a user on this forum that found a gold coin with a wal-mart detector.You need to give yourself some time with the unit you have before quitting so quickly.Good luck whatever you decide.HH

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast
OK in all fairness , you cant really look for a coin on concrete, concrete usually has reinforcing steel bars in it, As far as pinpointing, you need to do a cross sweep , like from right to left then from foreward to back, some detectors will sound from the side and not the middle, so you need to play with it, pinpointing is one of the harder parts of MDing.... you can also buy a hand held pin pointer

good luck

OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Oh, I'm not quitting. This is fun! would have done more today, but ran out of daylight. I just noticed that this horseshoe has the sheared-off nailheads still wedged in it, so it wasn't an old one that someone was pitching in the pit. That park is right in the middle of town, too- who knows how long it's been since someone rode a horse there. I can't wait to search the farm- there was a schoolhouse on the property in the mid-1800s, and since it's always been in the family, it's never been searched! my wife (Lucy) has a shoebox full of arrowheads, too.

No, it's a concrete paving stone, about 12"x18". Will definitely practice. Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still looks like a good day...

HH
-GC

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first hunt! It will get better and learning the machine is half the battle. HH, Mike

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
RatRacer said:
Yes, it does work ok,although it's not easy to pinpoint a target, and it only tells you "something" is there. I tried sweeping some change, to find a good setting, and it couldn't find a clad quarter on a concrete sidewalk, with nothing between the coin and the coil but 10 inches of air. I'll keep fiddling with it.
I cleaned the horseshoe- it was definitely worn by a horse! The front edge is worn down quite a bit.
I'm a little worried that I paid WAY too much for a Chinese copy of a good detector, but I'm willing to give it a chance. Only 1 other person on Treasurenet has commented on this model, and they seem to like it.
I'm going to enjoy searching my in-laws' 50-acre farm. Their family has lived there since 1828, when the house was built. The barn is from 1842. As iron-friendly as this thing is, I think I'll find some neat stuff!

10 inches of air between your coil and the quarter seems to be some of the problem, about everything I dig is less than 6 inches on average

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
RAT, Welcome To The Forum, Horse Shoes Can Point The Way To Some Interesting Finds, Especially In CW Country, Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 042.jpg
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 042.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 359
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 042.jpg
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 042.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 358
J

J@J salvors

That is my Favorite MD The yellow Viper trident( I think it also comes in blue)
I use it soley in the water Salt water And it seems to find every little bit of anything metal
I put the Sense increase up to the middle of the second arrow ( the 2 on a watch)
and discrimination on the 9 oclock ( the L in Low ) and it lets most of the trash go and only hits on the
Better stuff
Good luck and Good Hunting
Joe

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome aboard, RatRacer.

I can't tell you about your machine...but I can tell you about hunting the outer banks! Most of my best finds, last year, came from shin deep water...low tide.....in front of the lifeguard's stand. You'll find lots of bottle caps, too. Good luck!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to find the horseshoes!

Keep going....good luck!!

Nana :)

OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
J@J salvors said:
That is my Favorite MD The yellow Viper trident( I think it also comes in blue)
I use it soley in the water Salt water And it seems to find every little bit of anything metal
I put the Sense increase up to the middle of the second arrow ( the 2 on a watch)
and discrimination on the 9 oclock ( the L in Low ) and it lets most of the trash go and only hits on the
Better stuff
Good luck and Good Hunting
Joe
Hey, thanks for the reassurance. Mine is the yellow one. I was worried about it because it kinda LOOKS cheap... I fiddled with it (In the basement at work) and discovered that if I decreased the Disc (To right where you said, coincidentally!) it would nail coins, but ignore tabs. It also gave a broken tone to a small center punch I tossed in. I think I'm going to enjoy it!

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just takes time.... Sellit on ebay like new..May get a good price or keep it and work with it! Do the reserch.. I hear the tiger shark is good and not too high price!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Glad to see you are loving it and not quitting! At least you are finding something...I get nervous if I dont find a pull tab or two. Just keep learning the machine. I hunted with a Bounty Hunter for a long time,still do on occassion and I love that machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions