Many Firsts for me, including Capped Bust Half Cent, Seated (& so much more!)

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many Firsts for me, including Capped Bust Half Cent, Seated (& so much more!)

Hello All.

First off let me start by saying I have posted a portion of these finds on another MD Forum, so some of you may have already seen most of these pictures. I enjoy sharing my finds with Tnet most of all, so I am posting my story and finds here today for everyone to enjoy.

Recently some fellow hobbyists got together and formed a team, myself included. Most of these finds are from the hunts I have found while hunting with team members, but some were also found by myself. We have such a good time tearing up the soil together, and have been getting together for team hunts more and more.

Anyways, on to the good stuff. I did type out a long story on another forum, so I am just going to copy and paste parts of it here.

It all started when three of us worked a field that was right along this old home site. It was my first time there but so far a 1/2 cent was found there a few days before, and also an Irish Half Penny and Large Cent. Lots of oldies so far, so there had to be more. That day I found the W & C Button, and a 1936 quarter. Also found were a few early buttons. I was eager to get the chance to return.

W-&-C-Co-Button.jpg
1936-Quarter.jpg

I returned later in the week by myself. I tried a wooded area nearby, about 5 minutes in I got a bouncy (but still good) signal on the E-Trac. I probed the hole and out popped a 1907 IH. I checked the hole again and I got a nice high silver signal. I scooped out some loose dirt and staring at me was a 1908 Barber Half Dollar - my first Barber and first silver half. To my annoyance, I clipped it a tad with my shovel. (Damn it!!!) Must have been that other coin that I pinpointed on to.

Mini-Pocket-Spill.jpg

I wandered around a bit more and got a great deep coin signal. I had a feeling it was something good. As I plucked it from the hole and held it in the light, I could tell it was old, and I also could also make out some stars. It was like nothing I have ever found before. It was smaller than a LC, but larger than an IH. Later that night I cleaned it up and it turned out to be a 1835 Half Cent! - my first.

1835-Capped-Bust-Half-Cent.jpg

About 2 feet away from there I popped out a button, which I immediately noticed a dogs head on it. On the back I could make out some letters, and also noticed there was still string in the shank. I later cleaned it up and identified it as a Geo Floyd & Co sportsman button, made around 1840. It cleaned up nice! A clumsy hunter, who fell off his horse, I thought?

Sportsman-Button.jpg

I worked the same area for a while and got nothing so I moved on. Eventually I got a diggable signal. A flat button emerges. On the back I could see a little eagle with his wings out and stars around the shank. Cool, I thought. Around this time a friend showed up and joined in the hunt. Nothing else was found that day...

Eagle-Button.jpg

I returned a few days later and did a little exploring. I went deeper into the woods. I walked around the entire perimeter of the area, and did a few scans here and there. I found a tiny flat button in an otherwise quiet sounding area. I continued on and came upon what looked like an old road, with somewhat deep tire marks. I could tell it hasn't been used in a long time. I followed it and it ended up disappearing into some really thick brush. I turned around and beeped back to the start of it. I then got a signal near the very beginning, in a low spot in the road. A sweet signal. Back and forth I went. Solid, 13-44. 6 inches down, my machine was telling me. I decided to break out the video camera and record it.

I dug a large plug (don't want to damage it!!) and pinpointed away. I carefully pulled up a small clump of dirt with the target inside. It broke away and a large copper coin shaped thing plumped into the dirt. I picked it up and tried to ID it. Only one side was clean, and that side was void of detail. Later that night I cleaned it up. Using shadows and holding it in your hand, you can barely make out the 17 in the date, and the major highpoints of the shield, but to the best of my ability and with some help from some folks at tnet, I believe it to be a 1792 Rochedale Halfpenny, also known as a Conder Token. My first! What an unusual find, right?

1792_Rochedale_halfpenny.jpg

I had to leave but on the way out I got a curious signal and out came my best spoon yet. I always find spoons... where are all the forks??

1847-Gilted-Spoon.jpg

A new day! Back at the same site again. (Wouldn't you go?) Went with a friend this time. About 15 minutes into the hunt, my friend and I were going back and forth comparing signals - me with my E-Trac and him with his V3I. Then suddenly I got a great solid signal, 7 inches down. I had a feeling that what was beneath my coil, had to be what were were after. My friend's V3I agreed! There was another large surface object interfering with the pinpointing. It turned out to be a rear view mirror. I threw it away, pinpointed, and started to make my plug...and ran into a problem. A root the size of a grown man's leg was directly above the target. I started along the right side of it to work my way underneath the massive root, but there were dozens of other roots in my way. I chopped away with my sharpened Lesche.

As I was struggling, my friend approached and offered to help. He found that the left side of the root was more approachable. After a few minutes he suddenly pulled his hand out and assured me that it was an early large cent. I was skeptical that he knew.... just by touch. (After measuring the diameter, I think he may just be right.) It still remains with me, uncleaned. It is badly encased with mud and some mineralization. I have plans to send it to get professionally cleaned, because I know if I do it myself it would not come out as good. Hopefully it will be identifiable.

We moved on to another part of the woods. My friend got a nice hit and it turned out to be a Mercury dime. I was finding nothing but junk and then my friend informs me that he may have something good. A few motions later, he unearths a Large Cent! The sun was going down and we decided to call it a day. A great quick hunt! I have not been back to the site since....

I recently received permission to hunt a 185 acre farm. I have spent little time there so far, so over the weekend I invited a friend to help me check it out. We went into the fields. He found a 3 ringer, and I found an unusual copper button. We tried a few other fields on the farm, and came up empty. My friend suggested we try another spot down the road. It was another farm, 10 times the size of the previous.

At the other spot we worked one previously pounded field that was supposedly a revolutionary war camp, but came up with nothing. Even though we were exhausted we moved onto another field. My friend tells me that in this field he has found a large cent, buttons, and an indian head penny. With hope in my heart, we ventured on. About 10 minutes of nothing, I got one of those sweet solid signals again... but real shallow. I knelt down and pinpointed the area. I got a signal under an old corn husk. I brushed it away and there, on the surface, was a large copper coin. I picked it up and studied it. I could make out some shapes of letters, but the coin looked pretty far gone. I had a feeling it was a colonial coin of some type, but what?

I had an emergency and had to leave the hunt. Later that night when I finally had some down time, I cleaned it up and to my delight I could make out some detail. After careful inspection, measurements and comparing it to other coins, I believe it to be a William III Halfpence, minted from 1695-1701. If this is true then it breaks my oldest coin record, which previously was 1740something.

WIII.jpg

The next weekend, me and the same team member hit up a new spot, full of huge farm fields, in an area rich with history. We spent a good 7 hours there and MY GOD it was cold. I had 4 layers on but the wind was relentless. Between the 2 of us we found 8 early buttons, part of a shoe buckle, a HUGE musket ball and an 1889 Indian Head. The most interesting find I think is the golden plated thingie I found. I am not really sure what it was part of or how old it is, but it is something pretty to look at. All in all, it wasn't a really lucky day, but it was great to find that this new spot has potential to give up something good.

Finds-old-field-Nov-27-2010.jpg
gold-plated-artifact.jpg

Fast forward to the next weekend after that, 4 of us hit up another old farm field. We concentrated on one area. Buttons kept popping up, but it took some time to locate them. Then a Large Cent, then more buttons, then a Barber Dime, then even more buttons... By this time into the hunt I have only found a buckle and a pile of junk. Just when I was about to give up hope (4 hours in freezing weather with no finds can really wear you down) I got a sweet signal - 12-38. I checked out my E-Trac cheat sheet and 12-38 was listed as a Seated Dime. The target was shallow, so I knelt down and pinpointed the surface to judge the depth. Then, there it was sitting there staring at me. I've seen that look before! When I picked it up at first I thought it was a Zilcoln or something, but I brushed off some of the dirt and saw silver, and the words "ONE DIME". At this point I felt my mojo return to me! This was my first Seated coin. She's in rough shape, but I still love her.

1890-Seated-Dime.jpg

My last hunt prior to posting this, I hit up a rather trashy field I recovered yet another 1865 Indian Head penny. I have found 4 this year with that same date. What are the odds? It was found about 6 inches deep.

Well that's about it. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Many Firsts for me, including Capped Bust Half Cent, Seated (& so much more!)

1865-Indian.jpg

dirt diggler

Mar 18, 2009
Stafford VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Re: Many Firsts for me, including Capped Bust Half Cent, Seated (& so much more!)

great finds love all the different coins and the way you did the post was top notch.Congrats and look forward to your next one "keep it swingin"

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dirt diggler said:
great finds love all the different coins and the way you did the post was top notch.Congrats and look forward to your next one "keep it swingin"

Thanks! It actually took me many hours throughout the week to make this post. :read2:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice going on the silvers and coppers, well done on the posting. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

pepperj said:
Nice going on the silvers and coppers, well done on the posting. :icon_thumright:

Thank you! I figured such awesome finds deserve a good presentation. 8)

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds..... :thumbsup:

One correction, Morgans didn't come in half dollar denominations, they were all dollars. What you have is a Barber half dollar, still an excellent find.

Morgan dollars were only minted from 1878 to 1904 then again for 1/2 year in 1921.

Below is an image of a Barber Half dollar.

HH

Obverse:
1898_half_dollar_obv.jpg

Reverse:

1898_half_dollar_rev.jpg

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

wow what an awesome place to hunt!! I'm sure there will be more finds from this spot! congrats

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt...lot's of variety!!!

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

FreedomUIC said:
Great finds..... :thumbsup:

One correction, Morgans didn't come in half dollar denominations, they were all dollars. What you have is a Barber half dollar, still an excellent find.

Morgan dollars were only minted from 1878 to 1904 then again for 1/2 year in 1921.

Below is an image of a Barber Half dollar.

HH

Obverse:
1898_half_dollar_obv.jpg

Reverse:

1898_half_dollar_rev.jpg

How embarrassing..... thanks for pointing that out. It has been corrected. ::)

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great finds and post Elad! :icon_thumleft:

Kent

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds and post ... congrats ! :thumbsup:

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil

Great finds dale, great stories too. Im waiting to get back out hunting with u again.I just got that reale last night, there is another one on dvrr site that was found awhile back turned into a button too. HH Mark

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Don in SJ said:
Excellent Post and finds, as far as the possible William III Halfpenny goes, it looks like the Reverse has the arm pointing in a more downward direction which leads me to believe it is a Type 3 Reverse, used on the years 1699-1701, so I narrowed down the date a tad for you. Also congrats on getting the Condor Token, not many posted here found in America, I got my first and only one a couple years ago, also in bad shape but when put along side a photo of a non ground found one, not too bad.........

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,229057.0.html

Don

Thanks for the Congrats Don, and thanks for helping me narrow down the date on the WIII. Truth be told I didn't even know Conder tokens existed until after I found one.

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

chark21798 said:
Great finds dale, great stories too. Im waiting to get back out hunting with u again.I just got that reale last night, there is another one on dvrr site that was found awhile back turned into a button too. HH Mark

Hey Mark, glad to see some more posts from you. Yet again you recover another amazing coin. Thanks for reading and enjoying my stories. Probably see you this weekend, right?

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Some very nice finds there Elad, Congrats ! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions