need advice on garrett XL500 sea hunter

S

swamproot

i just bought my first md a used garrett seahunter currently using it in my yard with great results finding nails
even found a emergency brake handle from some old car. and some cool old bottles in the diggings.
my property is mostly sand and shale. i bought it to go to the beaches here in south florida as i live couple hours from all them ship wrecks by ft. pierce so i can get it wet as i will be wading a bit.
i need any helpful info on using it like how deep will it go ect.ect. i have read lots of posts here and don't see many on my md. i didn't spend a great amount on it but thought it was a good unit to start with. in my price range i got it for 300 dollars and it seems to work good. thanks in advance for any input.

Upvote 0

Goldringer

May 6, 2006
Earth
I owned a SeaHunter XL 500 for about 5 years. It was a fine machine though a bit hard to learn in Hot Rock situations. On clean sand as you have in Fl it works well. I found a few hundred rings and hundreds of dollars in coin. Set it to near max gain, Zero disc and set the tone to just barely audible and go find a box full of goodies. Keep the headphone connector clean and coat the prongs with dielectric grease and it will give great service. Listen for the faintest disruption of the tone and it will get those deep gold rings that others miss.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask this on the water and beach forum...Lots of guys there to help!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Seahunter MkII the latest model out. It will go aobut 18" deep in wet sand. It is a PI unit and has some degree of descrimination however. I haven't got to use it much but I did a club hunt with it and kept up with the big boys no sweat. I don't know if yours is similar or not, but I would imagine it is to some degree. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread