War of 1812 1st Regt. L.A. Button, French .58 Triangle Base Minie and more

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my latest digs. Yesterday I took the new T-2 Limited out and scored a very nice button in Boost Mode that Jeff and I had left behind. We had dug ALOT of Military Buttons out of this site and all within a 1 acre area. The signals were all but gone and I knew this would afford a perfect opportunity to test the new machine. I started swinging and about 10 minutes in got a nice but faint +85 signal between two of our dig holes. It was VERY deep and while my MXT with the Excelerator coil probably could've heard it, That coil is considerably larger and would've picked up the piece of can slaw not 4" from it....and indeed that very scenario may have happened but the coil on the T-2/F-75 is fairly smaller and I was able to hone in one the signal without putting the trash under the coil also....Anyways, I was Happy with that button and the Flower button I found with nearly ALL the Gilt still remaining after I cleaned it! Also Dug a Heavy Brass Ramrod guide to a flintlock pistol.
After that site, I hit a Civil War site of mine. Dug a SWEET .58 French Triangle Base! I absolutely love these bullets as they were made in France and can be quite hard rascals to find! They were largely imported by the Confederate States of America and thus usually associated with the Confederates although the United States did also use them as well.... Funny thing is that Jeff dug one (Different Variant, the flat nose .69 Variant) also this week on the other side of the South in Missouri! ;D :icon_thumleft: that I'm sure he'll be posting soon......Also dug a toasted 1859 Indian Head (the only way I could tell was because its a fatty and has no shield on the reverse), Got a Barber at the button site that I thought was going to be a Seated as nothing really older than the 1850s has come from this spot...a couple nice buckles and other stuff....Here's the Pics:

VIDEO

War of 1812 United States 1st Regiment Light Artillery Coat Button

CIMG0007ed.jpg

CIMG0006ed.jpg

Uncleaned and fresh from pouch
MD Pics 1093.jpg

FRENCH .58 Triangle Base 3 Ring Minie

MD Pics 1070ed.jpg

MD Pics 1071ed.jpg

.69 Two Ringer with Sprue/Teat in Base

MD Pics 1068ed.jpg

MD Pics 1069ed.jpg

Early Flintlock Ramrod Guide

22043_1292018671.jpg

MD Pics 1081ed.jpg

Roman Numerials appear to be engraved into base:
MD Pics 1080ed.jpg

1899 Barber Dime

MD Pics 1082ed.jpg

Group Shots

MD Pics 1077ed.jpg

MD Pics 1086ed.jpg

Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: War of 1812 1st Regt. L.A. Button, French .58 Triangle Base Minie and More!

Great digs Josh. Man what a year you have had. Happy holidays to you buddy. :icon_thumright:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good set of finds .... I especially like the Button! :o
Greetings.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are some great finds! I especially like the button and ramrod guide!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mainer said:
Great digs Josh. Man what a year you have had. Happy holidays to you buddy. :icon_thumright:

Thanks my friend. Jeff found something pretty good on the opposite side of the South also today but I'll wait for him to post it. Happy Holidays to you to Jes and I hope that the New Year will bring a great year and some more great finds! :wink: :icon_thumleft:

romeo-1 said:
Those are some great finds! I especially like the button and ramrod guide!

Thanks Romeo. It still has some rotted but preserved woods pieces left in it. I found it at the same site that I found the 1500's Elizabeth Shilling at. There's been some very old stuff that's come out of there this past month.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I'll be waiting for the post. Thanks for the well wishes Josh. Now finish out the year with another banner find. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HISPAN said:
Good set of finds .... I especially like the Button! :o
Greetings.

Thanks Hispan, my favorite Mainland Europe Digger :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Josh, love that Light Artillery button and that ramrod guide. Are those file marks or the Roman numeral XVIII on the bottom of that rampipe? Your triangle base bullet looks to be perfect. I found three of those in a tiny little spot between some townhouses in Alexandria. I'm sure mine were Yankee.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe you are going to like the new detector set up Josh. Great button and those French Triangles are only found in CS sites as far as I know. The only one that I have dug was in the CSA lines at the Battle of Hartsville, TN. WTG & HH Bud, Quindy.

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010
that my friend is a BANNER hunt !! looks like you have a honey hole love that button but to me that guide with the numbers has a bit of history all awesome finds !! good luck on those sites with your new detector hammer it hard scott

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's all killer Josh but I would have to go with the 2-Ringer :thumbsup:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some sweet finds.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt. Nice button and ram rod part. I have only dug one of those triangular base bullets off of Missionary Ridge. Nice finds.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Very nice Josh, love that Light Artillery button and that ramrod guide. Are those file marks or the Roman numeral XVIII on the bottom of that rampipe? Your triangle base bullet looks to be perfect. I found three of those in a tiny little spot between some townhouses in Alexandria. I'm sure mine were Yankee.

Thanks Steve. The marks appear to be too contrived and perfect and are crossed only to form a "X and "V" the other marks are perfectly straight. They're very deep and no other signs of file marks as you would expect

VOL1266-X said:
I believe you are going to like the new detector set up Josh. Great button and those French Triangles are only found in CS sites as far as I know. The only one that I have dug was in the CSA lines at the Battle of Hartsville, TN. WTG & HH Bud, Quindy.

Yeah I thought that out of everyone, you'd really like that Triangle base the most Quin. Indeed the T-2 Special Edition is a lightning rod of a detector and comes with a notice that says "Read this First" and starts off " The Teknetics T2 is probably the most sensitive metal detector ever manufactured..." LOL :D :D

I thought that was funny. I must say though, my other setup gives it a run for its money though it has a very good after market Excelerator coil on it instead of the stock MXT coil. That said, I have no doubt saying that the T-2 Limited is deep, deeper than any other machine I've owned with a stock coil (Whites, Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro)

As for the Frenchie, you're right, most were used by the Confederacy although small numbers have been known to have been used by Yankees in fact Steve of Pa above says he knows for a fact that the 3 he dug were Yankee. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays Quinn :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
It's all killer Josh but I would have to go with the 2-Ringer :thumbsup:

I agree with you Joe the 2 Ringer was one of my favorite finds too; thanks man

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding Josh , Great digs ! :headbang: I like the ramrod guide ..wondering about the roman numerals ??? I am gonna miss the J-Team in action to finish off 2010 . I am just glad I was able to witness , " THE MOST AMAZING RUN in metal detecting history !!" Looks like the new machine can get it done . Hey Jeff , when will you get back to hunt with Josh ??? Best of luck as lone rangers and HH :hello2: CMDdawg

U

umrgolf

Great post man :o I wont be digging any LA buttons out this way, you can count on that! but i guess i had to leave VA to get my belt buckle for the year :wink: :headbang: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread