Large Cents, Buttons Galore & Early Silver Cuff-links! What an Ending!!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Large Cents, Buttons Galore & Early Silver Cuff-links! What an Ending!!!

I met up with my friend Dale at a new farm field we have been detecting. Some Indian Heads and flat buttons have been found there recently. I spent about an hour digging depression era trash. I got a dime signal and dug the food stamp token, which is a first for me.

100_0405.jpg 100_0404.jpg

I figured it may be my last outing of the year so I needed to find the older stuff. I quickly left for my "button field", which was not far down the road. The button field has produced hundreds of buttons, more than a dozen coppers, and some Spanish Silver, but I had not dug a large cent there in over a year. This was my first outing to the field with my new SEF "Butterfly" coil. I immediately started digging buttons that I have missed in the past. Many were more than 8 inches deep, but most were in the 4-6 inch range. Nearly all had broken signals, and a few even read on the ferrous side of the scale in the negative numbers. I dug some real beauties, but the keeper of the day is the small eagle button with the backmark I. Scott & Co. This dates the button to the 1830's. The button has UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and E PLURIBIS UNUM. It is not in great shape but a keeper for sure!

100_0401a.jpg

I short time later and I got the signal I was hoping for, and dug what I could tell was an early Matron Head Large Cent. It is in bad shape but I was able to get a date what I think is 1817 off of it.

100_0410.jpg

I was feeling really good by now, digging some more buttons and some thimbles, even a Ford key from the 1930's. Then I got another great signal. I was thinking it is too good to be true. Out came another copper, this one showing no detail. I was thinking it was a KG, until I got home and after a mild bath in Hydrogen Peroxide I realized it was a 1796 Large Cent! The odd thing is that the only detail remaining is the date and the bottom of the bust, so I have no clue whether it is a Draped Bust or Liberty Cap. I am leaning toward Draped Bust, but let me know if anyone disagrees.

100_0407.jpg

At this point dusk was approaching and I was starting to hear the sound of screeching owls and other creatures coming from the woods. I was hoping for one last button, and got a broken pull tab type of signal. At first when I saw the gleam of silver, that is exactly what I thought it was; another pull tab. I nearly screamed out when I saw the complete silver cuff link in my hand!

100_0422a.jpg 100_0419a.jpg

What a way to end the day, and most likely the year! It has been a great year of detecting for me!

100_0403.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0418.jpg
    100_0418.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,280
  • 100_0406a.jpg
    100_0406a.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,389
  • 100_0416.jpg
    100_0416.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,373
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Large Cents, Buttons Galore & Early Silver Cuff-links! What an Ending!!!

A Big congrats from Colonial PA! The silver cufflinks would make any Colonial hunter's year. You went out in style, Neil. Damn, a complete set of 18th century silver cufflinks! :headbang:

Kirk :hello:

U

umrgolf

very solid outing.. 2 coppers and a set of silver cufflinks is always a success :icon_thumleft:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great ending to your year Neil. Congrat, can't help you on the 1796, not much showing on photo, but it is amazing that two of your finds are identical or nearly identical to two finds I made in the past couple years, shows how similar items were used in a regional area I suppose. :)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,263891.html (Cufflink post) (Albert's UU 132B) Unclassified

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,234610.0.html (Patriotic button post)

Don

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man Neil what a post. Those silver cuff links are awsome. And that eagle button is one of my favorite buttons I have scene posted this year. What a way to end the year. :icon_thumright:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice hunt!!! nice LC!!! MR TUFF

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt any time of year but especially to close out the year. Love that patriotic button and the silver cufflinks!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Button is first rate Neil and is in good enough condition to see the whole design: A BIG CONGRATS! With these bigger coils ( I use the 10x14 SEF Excelerator) all those broken pull tab and even signals that bounce to iron are usually buttons. That complete cufflink is unstoppable!! :hello2: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Amazing finds as usual, Neil. I absolutely love those cuff links! :coffee2:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buttons a keeper & the cuffs are just as nice :icon_thumright:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

the cufflinks are awesome! congrats

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Hey Neil,

Nice group of coins and relics, plus a pair of fabulous silver cufflinks to top it off! Can't ask for more than that!

fir469

Dec 18, 2007

That's the way to do it Neil!! Told ya that SEF would put ya in a whole new ballgame... I truly believe they are the best coils available for any machine out right now. Deep, stable, and separation like a knife. That aint the last outing, come on now, we're a die hard group and I know I'll be detecting straight through Xmas lol. The cufflinks are absolutely stunning!!

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax

that cuff link is a killer find! :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those cufflinks are extremely nice!

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

fir469 said:
That's the way to do it Neil!! Told ya that SEF would put ya in a whole new ballgame... I truly believe they are the best coils available for any machine out right now. Deep, stable, and separation like a knife. That aint the last outing, come on now, we're a die hard group and I know I'll be detecting straight through Xmas lol. The cufflinks are absolutely stunning!!

I can go year round...as long as the ground is not too solid. Even with temps in the high 30's during the day, the ground was frozen in spots due to overnight lows in the 20's. With daytime temps expected to be in the 20's over the next few days at least, I am not so optimistic that there well be a thaw anytime soon.

Don in SJ said:
Great ending to your year Neil. Congrat, can't help you on the 1796, not much showing on photo, but it is amazing that two of your finds are identical or nearly identical to two finds I made in the past couple years, shows how similar items were used in a regional area I suppose. :)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,263891.html (Cufflink post) (Albert's UU 132B) Unclassified

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,234610.0.html (Patriotic button post)

Don

Thanks Don. When I have a chance I will lube up the coin with some Vasoline which may bring out a bit more of the detail...like I stated in the original post there is a bit of the lower neck area showing, which may offer a clue (not that it matters much).

Apparently the button was made by more than one manufacturers. As for the cuff-links...I bet each pair was unique, even those made by the same silversmith.

Attachments

• 100_0402a.jpg
    100_0402a.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 926

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that is a hunt to remember.... end of season or not! :icon_thumright:

I especially like the complete cufflinks. :notworthy:

Hope you can get an ID on that 1796 LC. 8)

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Really nice links & LC!
Try a pencil rub on that '96 yet?
Might give you something, (probably a headache) :laughing9:
Great Digs :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice looking set of links and buttons, great way of ending the season off. :icon_thumright:

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil

Wow nice finds Neil i have never seen a food stamp token either. And cufflinks amazing. I'm waiting to get out again. We have plenty of time yet. HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread