Upper Lake
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000 with 11" M/DD and GoldScreamer pack
Etrac with 15x18 SEF & 10" Slimeline with inline Sunray
F75 with 11" & 5" DD with inline Sunray for my son
Garrett Infinium with 14" DD, 8" mono and 3x7 DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy Frank (2cmorau) found this beautiful black hills gold diamond ring on one of our latest outings to Lake Mendo. He was using his MXT at the time while I was using my etrac with 10" slimline coil. We got several dollars worth of clad... think Frank found a wheatie. I did manage to find one beat up silver ear ring while cleaning up the shoreline!

IMG_0045.JPG
Frank on day 2.

IMG_0044.JPG
Myself with the 15"x18" SEF coil and etrac on Day 2

grapering.jpg
Frank's Black Hills Gold Diamond Ring found on Day 1

Upvote 2

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just out of curiosity, what makes a gold ring a "black hills" gold ring? And how does one tell?

OP
OP
dagreat

dagreat

Feb 28, 2010
Upper Lake
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black Hills Gold has an unusual color to it... if you zoom in on the leafs of the ring you can see color within the gold. From my google search..."Black Hills gold jewelry is any piece of handcrafted jewelry distinguishable by its tri-colored gold leaves, grapevine and flower accents."

Black Hills Gold comes from the Black Hills in South Dakota. :thumbsup:

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find...Unfortuntly black hills gold is worth just about melt.. like any other kind of retail store gold jewelry.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey Rob

nice job :icon_thumleft:
we had a great day, looking forward to our next trip, ;D
wheaties 52 and 46 but in really bad shape
the ring is 10k don't know the carrot, it also has a copyright L stamped in the baand
hey blai745 if you need fast cash, melt is what you will get like from a pawn shop, or if you have a lot of gold send it to a refiner, but if your willing to sit on it a while place it on ebay or consignment store you will get much more,

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info! Can you give us a macro pic of the ring? Would be interesting to see the colors you referenced.

dagreat said:
Black Hills Gold has an unusual color to it... if you zoom in on the leafs of the ring you can see color within the gold. From my google search..."Black Hills gold jewelry is any piece of handcrafted jewelry distinguishable by its tri-colored gold leaves, grapevine and flower accents."

OP
OP
dagreat

dagreat

Feb 28, 2010
Upper Lake
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 15x18 coil is a beast!!!! I normally swing the 10" slim due to the weight and trash density of the ground. The SEF does cover a lot of ground though!!! I refuse to buy a swingy thingy... but never say never!!!

Frank,

I also had a great time. I will have to break down and start taking more pictures when we go out. Looking forward to this weekend, but starting to feel sick. I have two kids sick with the flu right now. I have my fingers crossed and vitamin C flowing!!!!

Rob

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Eric, i tried to get a better shot of the ring but all my pictures came out of focus >:(
Goggle, black hills gold ring
but thats why rob did the posting, hes the techy guy
Erik in NJ said:
Thanks for the info! Can you give us a macro pic of the ring? Would be interesting to see the colors you referenced.

dagreat said:

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,549

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! Very nice ring!! I love Black Hills gold rings, I think I have 5 of them! Most BHG rings are 10K but any ring that's found regardless of gold content is an awesome find!

I'm envious that some of you can still get out to detect...I'm stuck in the middle of a deep freeze (-40 yesterday) with you light at the end of the tunnel. I'll feel this way til mid May when our snow starts to melt :'(

AlaskaAng

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2cmorau said:
hey Rob

nice job :icon_thumleft:
hey blai745 if you need fast cash, melt is what you will get like from a pawn shop, or if you have a lot of gold send it to a refiner, but if your willing to sit on it a while place it on ebay or consignment store you will get much more,
I know much about ebay and consignment stuff and usally they take 10%-30% chunk out of your sale... You should try putting it up for ebay just for information purposes and see How well you do...

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
took me awhile to figure it out

Attachments

• ring1.JPG
    ring1.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 846
  • ring2.JPG
    ring2.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 824

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking piece of gold :icon_thumright:

pmgsourdough

Feb 13, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold used to make Black Hills Gold Jewelry can come from anywhere in the world. It can be labeled Black Hills Gold Jewelry as long as it was made in the Black Hills . Gold is gold . This ring was made by laundstroms in Rapid City . They imprint a signature L on all of their jewelry . I have sold them several ounces of refined Black Hills Gold. Not jewelry gold but straight from the ground

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions