elementary school finds

carpel

Apr 30, 2005
Midwest
The weather down here cooled off for a couple hours of detecting fun, same school were I found the Eisenhower dollar coin. Started off in the baseball field and found five baseball's laying in the grass, gave a couple to a guy practicing with his son and gave a couple to some kids riding their bikes nearby(they were pumped to get them!).The gold ring says 18HGE followed by the letter a with a circle around the a, I'm thinking goldplated for the ring because it is pretty beat up and worn, the stone looks pretty nice though!. I am always amazed at what I can find that this elementary school.

Attachments

• may29.jpg
    may29.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 346
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 340
  • ringin.jpg
    ringin.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 342
  • medal.jpg
    medal.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 0

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
HGE is a legally recognized quality mark used for jewelry. The HGE actually means:
“heavy gold electroplate”. An item advertised as HGE or an item you see with that mark inside is electroplated. What this means is that a layer of gold has been applied to an otherwise base metal item. The base metal is generally brass. This is considered “costume” jewelry since it is not gold through and through.

Rings and jewelry made of solid gold will have the karat stamp with the makers mark. The karat stamp will be either a “K” or KT mark with the number of the karat, such as 10k, 14k, etc. Sometimes numbers are used instead of the karat mark, for instance 14k is 585 and 18k is 750. Just like the karat mark, the numbers show how much gold in the metal mix used to make the jewelry. The metal mix of a karat gold ring is the same metal through and through and wear on the surface will not wear through the gold.

Plated items will wear and before long the metal underneath with begin to show. Then, the only real hope is to get a new piece of costume jewelry! This is not generally a suitable repair job. Also, plated items cannot or should not be resized. Resizing will break the plate and expose the base metal. Polishing will remove plating and is not recommended beyond a gentle polishing cloth once in a while.

To get an idea of how thick gold plate is, including HGE, go to this web site. This is interesting!

http://www.rings-things.com/METALS.HTM#13

le “heavy gold electroplate” is the thickest form of plating, the layer is still pretty thin. This is the longest lasting electroplate but still is not as thick as “gold filled”, where an actual layer of karat gold is bonded to the base metal much like how a quarter dollar coin is white on the outside and coppery in the center(look at the edge of a recent coin). The gold filled layer is thin compared to the edge view of a quarter.

HGE is about 2.5 thousandths of a millimeter. This is still thin compared to gold filled which is about 17 to 25,000 times thicker! Regular gold plate is much thinner than heavy gold electroplate but all it thin and will last a while then wear through.

OP
OP
carpel

carpel

Apr 30, 2005
Midwest
thanks Jasonbo for the explanation about the markings on the ring , you always learn something here!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
It's a nice ring none the less,
and I am sure it was exciting.
Nice finds, best of luck in your hunting!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread