Todays find!!

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
I got out for a little digging today with my buddy and found this neckless within about 15 minutes of detecting.
It was a little tough hunting today as we had about two inches of snow and the ground was frozen in most areas,
but since this may be the last chance to get out this year, we decided to bite the bullet and give it our best try.
The neckless is 21.5" long and is only missing the loop that attaches to the clasp... cheap fix.
Besides the neckless, we found 67 quarters, some dimes, pennies, and nickels, and my buddy found a presidential dollar coin... not a bad hunt after all.
Then we went and got a hot pizza and cold beer and celebrated!!
Thanks for looking,
Felix

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 748
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 755
Upvote 0

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! So I see 925 I assume its gold plated-- silver? Would of thought you see gold filled?

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
I'm no expert, but I believe some gold jewelry can be marked 925 as well as silver.

That piece looks like GOLD to me!!!!

Will the jewelry experts please chime in!!!!

~Sim

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Necklace, looks heavy. Great Find! make sure the repair is soldered so it's not lost again! :thumbsup:
The Gold color might be just the way the pic came out , but is probably 'Silver Gilt'
There's a process that makes the gold last longer than plating other base metal.
'Gold plating of silver is used in the manufacture of some jewelery. Like copper, silver atoms diffuse into the gold layer, causing slow gradual fading of its color and eventually causing tarnishing of the surface. A gold-plated silver article is usually a silver substrate with layers of copper, nickel, and gold deposited on top of it.'
.925 is a Silver Mark, would be 22+ carat in gold, too soft for most jewelery.
(other than some charms/medallions, which would be of a type below.)
here's a list of equivalents:
24 Karat Gold - 24K or 999
22 Karat Gold - 22K or 917
21 Karat Gold - 21K or 875
18 Karat Gold - 18K or 750
14 Karat Gold - 14K or 585
10 Karat Gold - 10K or 417
9 Karat Gold - 9K or 375
14 Karat Gold filled - 14K GF or 14K/20
Sterling Silver - 925
Pure Silver - 999

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: NICE!.. Real nice. I love to find chains. :headbang:

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Felix, The ground is frozen over here at my new place, hope to have you,Percy and Brion over on a nice Sunday in the future.

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
From what I've found, so far online, 925 refers to 925 of 1000 grains pure base metal and not what type of metal it is specifically.

I would have it checked by an expert, just to be sure.

Assuming you have a Digital Display, did it ring up high or low on your machine?

Any signs of silver color anywhere on it?

I agree. I'm used to seeing 925 on all the silver I dig.

~Sim

OP
OP
fwcrawford

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
Thanks for all the replies... I took it by the jewelers today after work and had them take a look at it.
According to them it is in fact sterling silver.
It also has "Italy" on the other side of the clasp and they stated that many necklaces are made in Italy.
They also estimated the value somewhere between $30 and $60 depending on the maker.
Felix

ridgehunter58

Nov 23, 2009
Sometimes, depending on the background, the flash will make a silver look gold in the photo. But it is actually silver in real life.

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Glad you had it looked at Felix.

The last nice piece I dug was also marked 925 Italy.

It was a heavy chain bracelet, no doubt Silver with claws like yours.

Nice piece of jewelry for a little digging!

~Sim

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like sim_player, I would like to know how this chain registered on your machine. If you have a VDI, what did it show? Also, what settings were you using?

OP
OP
fwcrawford

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
I was using an X-Terra 50 with the 10.5" DD coil.
I was using all metal mode and this signal came in as "12" on the ID screen which usually indicates a nickel.
When recovered, the necklace was all bunched up.
To be honest it the signal had been a couple of numbers lower or higher, I probably wouldn't have
bothered with it thinking it was trash.
I'm glad it came in as a nickel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread