jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out the other day for 2 hours and all I found was 2 clad pennies....on top of the ground!!!!!any tips on night hunting, It was so hot that sweat pooled up in my sunglasses, as i swung the detector.........I don't know I'f I can bare this heat and it's not even really deep summer yet......geez

today is hot tooooo!!!! :

mws....i'm getting old i guess......

Upvote 0

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i use a headband light i got at home depot for about 15 bucks,, its good for about 50 hours on 1 batt,, i hunt schools at night, theres nobody around ,, it's great,, the police pop in from time to time to see my finds,, with the right light its awesome, ;D ;D ;D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh!! :o I know! And then the sweat starts getting in your eyes and stings like the salty ocean water! :-X Might have to take up the night hunting too mw!

How about this idea: My son has a light that he uses when he goes out early mornings deer hunting....it fits on your head with straps that go around......?......... I may have to borrow that! :D I think he bought it at a sporting goods store...maybe Academy?

Nana ;)

S

skydiv

i have to hunt the wood chips after dark because the people don't go home.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skydiv said:
i have to hunt the wood chips after dark because the people don't go home.

Geez.... those stupid people... playing at the park! GRRR, hahaha :) I know the feeling of wanting to hunt a playground but there are too many kids running around for you to bother with it.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand how you feel. I just go early for a few hours in the morning and at least I get out for awhile. Burdie

indykb

Greenie
Apr 21, 2006
Maybe not night hunting, but something useful nonetheless: I wait for bad weather and go detecting in rain, snow, etc, because only you and a few die hards will be out. And it's easier to dig in the cool rain than the hot sun. Also something else I noticed - sod pulls back from the earth easier and intact under wet conditions. So you don't need to worry about the sod going brown: The grass recovers quicker.

I use the weather network website forecasts.

Indy

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Go very early in the morning...There will be no kids in the playground, just a few adults jogging... :)

And then after 6:00 pm, most people will start their trip home...

I went to a school today...Stayed there for 2 and a half hours, no one there,
plus it was nice outside...found two quarters, two nickels, one dime and a few pennies, plus the usual load of pulltabs and aluminum junk...

Good luck

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when its blazin hot out no one is in the playground the stuff is to hot to touch...

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've done some night hunting once.....with a flash light! I must have looked ridiculous! I was in my old neighborhood too and I was trying real hard not to be seen. Didn't want the police to be called on me for burglary! ;) It wasn't worth the "nerve trip" to do it. If I was on the beach though, I would definitely get a head lamp and swing till my arm fell off!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
Whether you decide on a head lamp or a small flashlight, I recommend getting a LED light. It's not as bright as a normal flashlight, but it's sufficient. The batteries will last 10X longer, so you can go several nights without changing them.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you about the heat..here in Okinawa I just give up till winter..Here it is jungle and humidity out the ying yang!! Winters are mild and just right..I did some night hunting around the old castles with a head lamp..it was ok,but very spooky around these old castles at night :) Castle in the middle of the jungle..LOTS OF SHADOWS :) but I got use to it and it went very well!

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
mwsvector-

I do a lot of night detecting...especially this past winter....

markg and I have done old streets that were being repaved, some serious woods, and a park that doesn't close til 10 pm. Got a nice Barber quarter one of the first nights out.

The light you need that everyone is talking about is an LED headlamp...I sell them at my store.........the one to get is called the Princeton Tec Aurora or the Petzl Tikka or Zip....
they last forever, give you serious light and hands free capability....

You will definitely improve your pinpointing detecting at night.....and your overall sense of what sounds good and what doesn't .......I didn't use the back light on my XLT and just focused on the sounds......

good to go with a partner even though most scumbags think you're crazier than Charles Manson out there in the dark,swinging a stick, bending over all the time....................

and shouting wooheeee!

don't get no better than that! That's why we do it.
aloha, johny mc

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a snake light by Black and Decker wrapped around my neck but those head lights with LEDs are nice too. Also have a backlight on the XLT but it doesn't matter, I try to dig it all. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread