Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

This message should of been done last weekend.... But been busy cleaning all my finds ;D

A friend and I went into the hills near where I live where we found a animal paddock kind of structure that is very old made of rocks. This structure is made into circles, one being about 15m across, and about 3 smaller ones of about 6m across. I am not sure how old these structures are as there does not seem to be any record of them.
It would seem that these structures are used for other things besides keeping animals, as there has been candle burning all around on the rocks, like cerimonies going on. Not sure but maybe witchcraft or Satanism has been going on for many years.

Anyway, we both have been to this site many times before, because there is a great view of the town from the far side of this circle structure.
About 5 1/2 years ago, this friend of mine came up here and walked the whole of the mountain, and somewhere lost his week old glasses. He told me about the glasses when we arrived in the car, but also told me that they could be anywhere on the mountain..... ::)

Well we detected this area, and found lots of coins of the old South African type, and the new type..... we are looking at around 1965 till present. We searched for about 3 hours, over every inch of this site.... it was great fun.

We decided to leave the area, so started back to the car. On arrival, we decided that since we had parked the car on a mud patch (probably from rain water) we would have one last try to find stuff. Well we found a number of fire arm shells, and as we looked at the edge of the mud patch in the grass, we found this friend of mines glasses...... As you can see the plastic parts have been melted due to grass fires, but otherwise when they were cleaned up, they were perfect........ What are the chances of finding these glasses on a mountain?

Anyway, we had a great time of fellowship together, and much fresh air, and a beer to celebrate ;)

Hope you enjoy the pictures ;D

God bless
Peter

Attachments

• Glasses1.jpg
    Glasses1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 906
  • Photo0021.jpg
    Photo0021.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 888
  • Photo0012.jpg
    Photo0012.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 904
  • Peter1.jpg
    Peter1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 903
  • Coins1.jpg
    Coins1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 898
Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty cool Peter! Nice finds and and a great job on the glasses!

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys for the replies...... One thing I love about this hobby is the fellowship, fresh air, and the time to think.....

God bless
Peter

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Way to go ! I was wondering when you were going to start posting some finds! Those pics are great and looks like you had a fantastic time! Cool about the glasses!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Peter ....Glad to see your out finding those goodies , I'm sure by now your use to the detector so we will be looking forward to some different finds from your part of the world!!!! Great Job! late...................... 8)

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys,
I have been out a few times and found a coin here and there, but what I have been up to is trying to find sites. I have managed to order arial photo,s of 1:10000 of my town and area from a place in Capetown, and so am waiting for them to arrive. I am finding it very difficult to find the places.

But yes, am getting pretty good with the machine ::) And will definately put my finds on the site, when I get them.

Am trying to find some Boer war sites, no luck as of yet.

God bless
Peter

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sounds like fun pgill. ill bet your friend was happy to have his new glasses back!

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

Thanx for all the mail ;D My friend was very happy, but the glasses are now way out of focus 8) But one good thing, it seems to have got him hooked on the hobby. What we do is take turns with the detector and the digging trowel,,,,, whoever finds keeps or throws into the kitty as we did with those finds.

God bless
Peter

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Great stuff Peter. I love that we get to see stuff found outside the US. There's a lot of history where you're at and I look forward to you finding some great old stuff.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to hear from you, Pgill. That's a great post you wrote especially about the glasses. 8)

Can you get any closeups of those coins? I would love to see them. :)

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds..Nice pics..Finding spots gets harder every year...But they are out there....

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Peter! Glad to see you post! Love the story and the pictures! Great that you have a new hunting partner too!
pgill said:
One thing I love about this hobby is the fellowship, fresh air, and the time to think.....

I don't think about anything but 'wonder what that is?' while I'm out hunting! :D

Congrats on your finds!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again all, being new to this hobby makes it a little difficult to learn about the places to go, but we will get there. We are looking into a mining town that was totaly demolished in the late 60's and a town that was demolished about 6 years ago..... so keep your fingers crossed that we can make this work.
Mona Lisa these next pics are for you. Hope they are clearer for you.

God bless
Peter

Attachments

• Coins2.jpg
    Coins2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 611
  • Coins3.jpg
    Coins3.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 615

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you kind of look like the Gyro Guy in Mad Max......do you have a ultralite?????? Ha Ha !!!!

Attachments

• cast_spence_main.jpg
    cast_spence_main.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 467

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread