silver spoonhoard lmao

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
I was at a old homestead built in 1875 monday dec 27 th found 16 sterling spoons black as coal... i am very cautious about my finds and what i post, i am presently working on cleaning these spoons there soaking in lemon juice and i also am doing a lil cleaning with a toothbrush and flouride toothpaste... the property belongs to a Centralia police officer, he said anything i find is all mines... because he just bought the land and they will be building there future home there starting this spring, i live in one of his houses, it was built in 1897, went back tuesday found 5 more spoons a old victorian silver chain and pendant with green stones and a sterling bracelet which weighed 66 grams... would like to give my Tesoro Compadre a thumbs up for this find which was about 12 inches deep. never thought i could get this deep with this machine... i also own a Tesoro Lobo........ the maker on the spoons is WM Rogers AND SONS PATENTED NOV 3 1910) Been told they were the high end stuff back in the day only the wealthy could afford.. HH HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL... :headbang:

Attachments

• SPOONS.jpg
    SPOONS.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,130
  • SPOONS 2.jpg
    SPOONS 2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,110
  • SPOONS.jpg
    SPOONS.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,126
  • SPOONS 2.jpg
    SPOONS 2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,107
Upvote 0

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
I am curious, what is the rectangular ladle and the one to the right of it >?

Where are the bracelet and neckless pics >?

You may want to check the garage sales section for info on your spoons also.

I would get excited digging that up at that depth.

Nice little hoard :headbang: I wonder what else they buried >? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Joe Hoo?

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
NaturalJWL said:
I am curious, what is the rectangular ladle and the one to the right of it >?

Where are the bracelet and neckless pics >?

You may want to check the garage sales section for info on your spoons also.

I would get excited digging that up at that depth.

Nice little hoard :headbang: I wonder what else they buried >? :dontknow:

HMMM good question on what else is buried everyday i go i find something new i have 5 more spoons i am cleaning the necklace is being cleaned along with the pendant as well as bracelet.. they literally are black as coal... as far as the ladle is concerned it is marked wm rogers and sons and the spoon next to it is marked Gorman............

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wow! I think some of us may be ready for a roadtrip downstate! Got any room left in that field!?!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Super silver!
replacements.com is a great resource for dating & ID'ing pattern & uses of flatware. :thumbsup:

mobile miner

Mar 10, 2010
Lot of different paterns. Can`t be a set. looks like they were a random collection. Still a great find. I`d keep looking for more,

OP
OP
Joe Hoo?

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
mobile miner said:
Lot of different paterns. Can`t be a set. looks like they were a random collection. Still a great find. I`d keep looking for more,

most are wm rogers and sons but there are a few chosen single pieces that have different makers.. Gorman is one and some of the others i am still trying to decipher... HH :headbang:

OP
OP
Joe Hoo?

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
steelheadwill said:
Super silver!
replacements.com is a great resource for dating & ID'ing pattern & uses of flatware. :thumbsup:

thank you for the info HH :headbang:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,015
OP
OP
Joe Hoo?

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
Lowbatts said:
Wow! I think some of us may be ready for a roadtrip downstate! Got any room left in that field!?!

Yes there is alot of room in the field but my landlord who owns the property does not want me bringing anyone else out there but one thing is for sure you can not go wrong in central illinois so much history going back to around the 1850's with the central illinois railroad and oil boom plus coal mining you never know what your gonna find... i also have a place for gold i will not disclose... its about one hour from my house and have found flakes there... will be going back when it gets warm.... I will be at my doorstep if you ever decide you would like to come down and hunt Central illinois... i have some prime locations... HH :hello:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,019
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,008

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
wow it looks like you have an awesome place to hunt! congrats and keep hitting it hard.

OP
OP
Joe Hoo?

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
cntrydncr1 said:
wow it looks like you have an awesome place to hunt! congrats and keep hitting it hard.

Thank you, yes it's a great old homestead site owned by the owner of my home.. i will be here hunting until spring breaks and then the building will begin to start for a new home.... HH :hello: HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Nice little bit of silver you got there ! Can't wait to see the rest of the finds :)

Hurry hurry and clear that entire land before they start building !! :laughing9:

OP
OP
Joe Hoo?

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
txconservative said:
Nice little bit of silver you got there ! Can't wait to see the rest of the finds :)

Hurry hurry and clear that entire land before they start building !! :laughing9:

OH JESUS! there is like 200 acres i have until april 2011... i found what may look like a old garbage hole last night.. i will be digging there today looking for some old bottles and whatever else surprises that may be lurking... :icon_thumleft: HH happy new years!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful finds. I wonder what else my be around that area ??? I' be hitting that area hard until spring. You sure can't finds spoons like that anymore :o

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find's for sure, keep hitting that ground and again when the dosser starts stripping the soil.
It is a bummer to think of all the artifacts and sites lost to development. Well that's progress for ya. :icon_thumright:
HH
Broken Knee

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Joe Hoo said:
txconservative said:

OH JESUS! there is like 200 acres i have until april 2011... i found what may look like a old garbage hole last night.. i will be digging there today looking for some old bottles and whatever else surprises that may be lurking... :icon_thumleft: HH happy new years!

I'd be happy to help ya man ! Just tell the guy that a young, pretty lady is going to come help ya ! haha

OP
OP
Joe Hoo?

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
txconservative said:
Joe Hoo said:
txconservative said:

I'd be happy to help ya man ! Just tell the guy that a young, pretty lady is going to come help ya ! haha

Lord knows i would never oblige to a young pretty lady helping me...lmao would love to get my 3 pretty daughters to come on a hunt with me.. they think i am nuts but they are getting the message now with all my recent finds... i wish you nothing but a prosperous 2011 txconservative... HH :hello: Joe~n~Carol

Attachments

• joeandcarol.jpg
    joeandcarol.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 701

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread