Picnic Grove: Will It Produce?

D

doyboy

Zoyboy's post back in April: "Hey, guys, I just want to tell everyone about an old picnic grove that I have been researching for awhile. It began in the early 1880s and ended sometime around 1920. After reading many old newspaper articles from the late 1800s, I came across a heading in which it talked about a picnic at this grove that attracted 3000 people in one day. This occurred in this grove during the entire picnic season and lasted for many years. So, while doyboy was detecting today, my uncle and I went to scout out the location, and possibly obtain permission to detect.

After about a 20-minute drive, we found the location of the grove, but there was one small problem. The road that led to the grove was on private property and, yadda...yadda...yadda, we were granted permission by the land owner to detect after turkey season -- at the end of May."

Well, Zoyboy, Blitz, and I finally made the long-awaited trip to this grove. We got to the grove at 9 a.m. and decided to scout it out at first. So, we walked in the wooded area, which I must say is decent size, looking for evidence of the past. During the scouting mission we found a few foundations, old bricks laying around, etc.. We were all thrilled!

Now, it was time to get our detectors out. We all turned them on at the same time and started to sweep like maniacs. In 10 mintues of swinging, Blitz calls out that he had found a date-less V-Nickel at 3"; Awesome! We all were thinking of the possibilites of this area now. But, about two minutes after Blitz found the Nickel, the rain started. It was not in the forecast! It had to ruin our fun! So, instead of ruining our detectors in the rain we decided to leave and come back next Sunday. Well, I guess we have a lot to look forward to. We hold the thought that: Where there is a Liberty V, there will also be Barbers laying around! We will all be dreaming about the possible finds until Sunday comes.

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

One look at me and the owner would have pleaded for me to come back during turkey season.
Don't be surprised to even find seated coins. I found and detected one last year. And got seated, barber, mercs and indian head. And 2 civil war buttons.
So it might run the whole gammit. Anxious to see what you find. Good luck HH

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
Don't forget finding Silverware. They needed something to eat with. Look for large Oak trees in the grove. They were great for shade and also to sit against and lose stuff. I hit an old grove a few years back and you wouldn't belive what came out of it in terms of old coin, jewelry and silverware. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions