Back from Duck

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Well, came back from 1 week in Duck, NC. The Outer Banks are beautiful! Got to detect 6 out of 8 days, 1-2 hrs each. I apologize to the makers of the Viper Trident. It is a nice, sensitive, tough machine that took a beating in the surf without a problem. First day, I turned it on, walked onto the sand, and quickly found the banged-up bifocals. Then, being an idiot, I got too close to the surf, got nailed by a wave, and drowned my 3 week old Sony digital camera. Shoulda got that extra warranty! Feeling bummed, I searched for an hour, and found 2 nails and a penny.
over the rest of the trip, I found a total of 82 cents (Got a hit, dug up a quarter, RE-SWEPT the hole like you guys said I should, and found a second quarter!). I found about 3 pounds of nails, mostly pointing UP, almost all near sets of stairs. Would hate to step on one of those rusty ones! Lots of Aluminum slaw. Huge 8-ounce fishing weight and rather nasty hook. Half a trash bag full of plastic garbage, plus a U S Fish & Wildlife Service fish tag that I need to call and report for the records. In all, a most successful trip! I'm VERY glad I got a waterproof detector! Will NOT be selling it, or giving up.

Lastly, the pride of the collection is this metal pyramid. It is 3/4" across its 4-sided base, and 1 1/4" tall, and is made of a strange, soft, heavy metal. It has a tiny brass ring set into the bottom, and a cryptic marking on two sides- looks like a 7 with a curved lower leg. Is it fom the Freemasons? The Knights Templar? An alien cult? Did it attach to a staff or headdress with the ring? Will we ever know?

Attachments

• DSC03826.1.JPG
    DSC03826.1.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC03827.1.JPG
    DSC03827.1.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 377
Upvote 0

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
The Freemasons, Knights Templar, Aliens make for a much better read than just a fishing weight. Congratulations on you finds, even the weight. Ive lost a lot of those in my time. Its been a while since We all got to go to Nags Head. We were going to plan a week there for the summer vacation. But the back yard won out. We all, meaning friends and family decided to float in the pool and see whom could find the best drinks in the Bartenders guide to the universe, and practice making Hurricanes and Sex On The Beach.
Mike
Not to imply that your story was not a great one because it is. Just saying that those ones with Aliens and Swashbulkling Pirates and the stuff adventures are made of.well I like those too, Keep those finds comming,,,,

S

Smee

The pyramid is a fishing weight / sinker. My dad used to make them from the lead plates in old car batteries.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beach hunting is fun, racer. Sorry to hear about your camera. I just use my DFX...and hope I don't get hit with a rogue wave.
We're going to Whalehead beach...a few miles north of Duck at the end of July.

I've found those strange alien type devices, too, when I was there last year. Eerie...pyramid shaped.....maybe dropped from UFOs? ;D

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice vacation and finds. I love the outer banks,hope to retire there one of these days. I have spent alot time in a little town called Bath. Very historic.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
If it only had three sides, I would say it must be one of them Egyptian pyramids and the little eye on the bottom could be the "seeing" eye of their sun god Ra. And if it had been yellow soft metal it would probably be gold from one of them big Egyptian pyramids. But since it has four sides and the metal is soft and grey and you found it on the beach, then it is probably just a fishing weight :-\ Gold is good but lead is still a treasure when you find it while enjoying the beach. HH

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Your Find Is From "The Grand Order Of Bottom Feeders" A Rather Fishy Crowd, But Well Educated, As They Tend To Hang Out In Schools. trk5capt...

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Congrats on finding the real treasure of Duck..... nails! We grow 'em fresh everyday for tourists to find... Actually, I heard Mel Fisher does that.... LMAO!
Actually, I'm glad that you had a good time and had a chance to witness some of the beauty down here.

Bring your money...err, family back next year, and tell all your friends!

This message brought to you by the NC Outer Banks Tourism Dept. LOL

OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
I think some of the ones I found weren't ripe yet- they were kinda grey and smooth, with a spiral shaft. I got some really nice rusty ones, though!
I definitely enjoyed visiting the area, and if my wife's cousin still has another week available on the timeshare, we might come back this fall. Thanks for the hospitality!

OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Oh, and Cryptodave, you have a very nice lighthouse! Lucy and I went to the top!
I think I found the lost civilization that made that metal pyramid. They were really small...

Attachments

• lucylighthouse.JPG
    lucylighthouse.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 180
  • pyramids.JPG
    pyramids.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 212

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thats funny, I just spent the weekend at Kitty Hawk, the finds there were few and far between too, we ended up hopping beach access from Nags Head back to Kitty Hawk and we were lucky if we found 2 bucks between us in 3 days hunting.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great finds and sounds like a great place to visit. But you are all wrong on the Pyramid...Its a Fish Dowser ....swing Pendulum over the water in a circular motion and you will find fish... ;)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Yeah, the lighthouse is pretty neat, and boy, what a view from the top!
Hopefully you got a chance to go over to the whalehead club also. Very nice restored mansion that sits right next the ligthhouse grounds.
I'm glad you guys had a good time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread