Last hunt of 2010 produces a gold coin... or gold jewelery?

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
My last keeper for 2010 was my best one so far. It sounded like a small piece of aluminum foil (12-7 with an E-trac) and was less than an inch deep. Why I even bothered to push the dirt with my boot I'll never know? I am sure glad I did though because it turned out to be a one dollar gold love token!! ;D

Attachments

• frnt.jpg
    frnt.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 6,822
  • bak.jpg
    bak.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 6,809
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one killer find!!

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand this love token thing.

Is it a coin that has had one side reworked into something different? Or what?

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
It's odd that there are arrows on the engraved side, and they all point to the "B"....and the other letters are kind of intertwined, like lovers embracing...beatiful find , congrats !

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Antiquarian said:
How come whenever I dig a foil signal it's actually foil! :'(
Yet when you dig'em . . . it's a gold coin!? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

LOL! Believe it or not, 99.999 percent of the time it's foil for me too! I mean I have dug at least 1000 foil sounding targets (and I'm being kind to myself here :) ) and only one turned out to be gold. I sure am glad I kept on digging them! So keep on digging, yours will come!

Antiquarian said:
Congrats on finding gold in California and on making the Banner man! :icon_thumright:

Thanks! :icon_sunny:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I just knew I'd be seeing your find up on the Tnet Banner, Mike!! :headbang: :headbang: :hello2:

Cru' is right....if you don't dig every trash signal out there, that coin/token never gets found! :idea1:

What an awesome ending to an equally great year for you!! I enjoyed your posts on our local forum last year!!

Looking forward to this year and what your 2000th foil signal may produce!! :laughing9:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Antiquarian said:

Congrats on finding gold in California and on making the Banner man! :icon_thumright:

10-4!
I wonder how many coils passed over that beaut and decided not to dig?
Congrats!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
big congrats!!!!! MR TUFF

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you, theakaki.....this is the first I have hear of such a thing. I, too, would like to know if the back side was ground off or hammered smooth and then engraved or just how this was produced. The links provided did not explain the procedure.......I will look further.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Roland58 said:
I'm with you, theakaki.....this is the first I have hear of such a thing. I, too, would like to know if the back side was ground off or hammered smooth and then engraved or just how this was produced. The links provided did not explain the procedure.......I will look further.
I think it was shaved off before engraving. (not hammered) You can google "love token" and get more info. Gold is rare as they were usually made from silver. http://www.kenbarr.com/lovetokens.html

Love tokens are generally defined as coins on which one side (or sometimes both sides) has been smoothed down and engraved with initials, names, phrases and/or scenes. These were often given to young ladies as "tokens of love" by suitors, seems to have originated as a practice in Great Britain in the early 1800's, and migrated to the United States in the mid- to late-1800's. The Seated Liberty dime of the 1850's - 1880's is by far the most popular "host coin", but tokens are known on all denominations of U. S. coins from half cents through twenty-dollar gold pieces as well as numerous world coin denominations

Looks like A.B. or B.A. Cool find. :icon_thumright:

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Congrats on the banner man! I've already said it on the other forum, but that's a GREAT find.

As far as making love tokens, I had one made for my girlfriend about a year ago, from a 1916 Australian Florin (half dollar) I found in a local park. I found a hand engraver (which are pretty rare these days as machine engraving has completely taken over.) He gave me a couple pieces of sandpaper and set me to work as he didn't have time to do the 'erasing'. It was a little scary at first, but in the end only took about the 30 minutes to sand the non-date side to smooth silver. After that he went to work, using the skills he'd learned from his father at an early age. Pretty damn cool to see, and not hard to imagine engravers carving a dozen a day at the local picnic grounds in the 1800's. Definitely a unique item, and beautiful.

LT04.jpg

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful rare find :icon_thumleft: WTG on the BANNER !! Jim :thumbsup:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 19th century gold coin love token ! It's beautiful ! Banner worthy for sure ! Congrads !! MaineRelic

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Butler said:
Antiquarian said:

LOL! Believe it or not, 99.999 percent of the time it's foil for me too! I mean I have dug at least 1000 foil sounding targets (and I'm being kind to myself here :) ) and only one turned out to be gold. I sure am glad I kept on digging them! So keep on digging, yours will come!

Antiquarian said:

Thanks! :icon_sunny:

I'll be thinking about you later this morning as I'm digging more foil! :'(

Well deserved Banner find buddy! :icon_thumright:

Dave

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a chain and wear it... I would :icon_thumleft:
Great find!

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread