Last hunt of 2010 produces a gold coin... or gold jewelery?

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
My last keeper for 2010 was my best one so far. It sounded like a small piece of aluminum foil (12-7 with an E-trac) and was less than an inch deep. Why I even bothered to push the dirt with my boot I'll never know? I am sure glad I did though because it turned out to be a one dollar gold love token!! ;D

Attachments

• frnt.jpg
    frnt.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 6,822
  • bak.jpg
    bak.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 6,809
Upvote 0

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030
Great find!!! 1856-1889 Indian Princess head gold dollar!! :thumbsup:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!!! Hey, it has my initials ;D

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
veronasteve said:
gold is gold...shame it's been holed... :thumbsup:

I think the hole and the design really add to the find though. I mean a gold coin is an awesome thing for sure but the history behind something like this really gets me wondering...

Who made it? It was obviously hand made and took some time.
Who was it made for? I'm guessing a gift to some young lady but perhaps a present to a mother?
When was it made?
How did it get lost? Did it fall off a necklace / bracelet... or did some angry lover throw it? :tongue3:
etc?

As far as finds go I am much happier getting this than say if it was a gold dollar alone. Well, at least that is my feeling anyway. No matter how you look at it, pretty cool I think!! Thanks for looking!

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
terrific!!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How come whenever I dig a foil signal it's actually foil! :'(
Yet when you dig'em . . . it's a gold coin!? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Congrats on finding gold in California and on making the Banner man! :icon_thumright:

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find!
Based on the article mentioned above at the gainesvillecoins.com site, is it a coincidence that the initials on the coin are the same as the jeweler (Alt Christoph Bechtler) who first made the gold dollar coins between 1830's and 1840 ? Or is that coin actually one of his making?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was going to vote BANNER ..but now I won't .... (Because it's already up there!) Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I can't stop looking at that coin ... what a beauty.

I know this is not a profound thought but I just realized ... we only find things that are lost ...and they are still amazing things ... sometimes.

HH Joe

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Butler said:
veronasteve said:
gold is gold...shame it's been holed... :thumbsup:

I think the hole and the design really add to the find though. I mean a gold coin is an awesome thing for sure but the history behind something like this really gets me wondering...

Who made it? It was obviously hand made and took some time.
Who was it made for? I'm guessing a gift to some young lady but perhaps a present to a mother?
When was it made?
How did it get lost? Did it fall off a necklace / bracelet... or did some angry lover throw it? :tongue3:
etc?

As far as finds go I am much happier getting this than say if it was a gold dollar alone. Well, at least that is my feeling anyway. No matter how you look at it, pretty cool I think!! Thanks for looking!

I totally agree. To find a gold coin would be fantastic, but to find one that is "unique" is a find of a lifetime. A couple years ago, I dug a seated love token quarter, and it is by far, my favorite find. If these coins could only talk.......

Congrats on a super strong finish to 2010.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions