Victorian era Brass door plate(s)...?

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I found these on the original door(s) at an old store, built sometime in the 1800's I believe that has been abandoned for several years. The plates are in great condition and have a lot of good detail on them. I just wanted to know when they were made, how they were made, what the possible value is, do people collect/buy them? I just basically want to know everything I can about them, because they are beautiful pieces of work.
Thanks in advance!

IMG_20110101_215119.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I forgot to add that there is a 6 digit number on the back of the brass door plate...is Deco even older more rare then Victorian? I would love to know more about these pieces.

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I'm trying to add more pictures as well, let me know what you can treasurenet! thanks...

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Victorian is much older than (Art) Deco. Art Deco is usually considered to be from about 1920 to 1940 and the Victorian era ended around the turn of the last century (1900). IIRC, the Victorian era began around 1830 to 1840. Art Deco is really increasing in popularity, however, I don't think either of your pieces appear to be Art Deco, but, I've been wrong before ;D.

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
Victorian is much older than (Art) Deco. Art Deco is usually considered to be from about 1920 to 1940 and the Victorian era ended around the turn of the last century (1900). IIRC, the Victorian era began around 1830 to 1840. Art Deco is really increasing in popularity, however, I don't think either of your pieces appear to be Art Deco, but, I've been wrong before ;D.

Me too.

The green piece has that nice floral Victorian style...the brown one above has geometric pattern? It would suggest they were at least installed at different times.

Either way, it's a great save.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
adventureswithjim said:
Roland58 said:

Me too.

The green piece has that nice floral Victorian style...the brown one above has geometric pattern? It would suggest they were at least installed at different times.

Yeah, I agree with that all the way. Just something about it doesn't scream Deco to me......but, then, I'm half deaf! ;D

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
adventureswithjim said:
Roland58 said:

Me too.

Yeah, I agree with that all the way. Just something about it doesn't scream Deco to me......but, then, I'm half deaf! ;D

Art Neuavo? I forget which is which...one is a heavier geometric design, the other is more stream lined. I'm think the brown piece maybe be more like 1900-1910, the green one like 1860-1880? Just a wild guess...

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
I was just wondering how big they are. They have resemble kitchen ice box hardware.....but I haven't got myself totally sold on it, though....lol. Great finds.
HH.......gregd

woodcutter45

Greenie
Oct 23, 2010
P Hill, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brown one appears to be a spring loaded latch bolt for an old interior French (double swinging) door.Usually it was attached to the top of the passive door to hold it shut most of the time. It probably had a chain hooked to the bottom with a ring on the end. It hung down far enough to be reached and pulled when you wanted to open both doors. The greenish one is probably the plate that went on a door and the knob/thumblatch and some sort of turnbolt lock went through it.
I have a spring latch bolt that is nearly identical in pattern to yours. Great find of some old hardware.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Finds!
both are earlier than art deco era.
you piqued my interest, I have a LOT of pieces that resemble your spring latch.
I was told they came from the captains cabin of an old sailing ship.
Am posting them in whatsit, if I get any info, I'll let you know :thumbsup:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodcutter, I think you nailed the spring loaded catch with the pull ring at the bottom........good eye.

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
woodcutter45 said:
The brown one appears to be a spring loaded latch bolt for an old interior French (double swinging) door.Usually it was attached to the top of the passive door to hold it shut most of the time. It probably had a chain hooked to the bottom with a ring on the end. It hung down far enough to be reached and pulled when you wanted to open both doors. The greenish one is probably the plate that went on a door and the knob/thumblatch and some sort of turnbolt lock went through it.
I have a spring latch bolt that is nearly identical in pattern to yours. Great find of some old hardware.

It still has the chain/ring hanging from it and it was attached to the top of two swinging doors, so you are DEAD on. Are these pieces rare? Everything was still bolted to the old abandoned store before I took it off, but everything still has the pieces. I need to post a picture with the chain/ring still on it. I still have all of the brass screws that were with everything as well. Any idea what these pieces are worth?

woodcutter45

Greenie
Oct 23, 2010
P Hill, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO I don't think that either piece is what you would call rare. That type of hardware was used on many door systems in many "nicer" homes of the period. Probably Victorian or Late Victorian. I think you can find similar pieces at some of the places where they reclaim doors and/or hardware when a house is remodeled or torn down. But they are still great pieces and maybe could be displayed. You will not find anything modern that comes close to the detail and construction of these. WTG!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can still get the original hardware restored or unrestored or replications of most any hardware. I had many catalogs that listed similar items, in fact, I put "ice box" latches and hinges on a number of cabinets I have made over the years. You asked about price, this link shows a similar latch to yours that has been restored for $85. The replicas can probably be had for less.
http://www.historichomehardware.com...ique-1870s-sargent-chain-door-bolt-p-456.html

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread