Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by the old farmhouse after work where I dug the Walker half in the soybean field weeks ago. I had about an hour before it got dark so I worked an area behind the house where a barn used to be. One of my first signals was a Rosie dime. :thumbsup: I then dug a thin old square piece of copper which I thought was just a piece of a shingle, but I could faintly see some design on it. When I got it home under the light I could see there was a photo on it! :o I was hoping it would be late 1800's or early 1900's, but the photo looks to be of a 1950's kitchen. :dontknow: The stove & kitchen table are definitely 1950's. I know there was film in the 1950's, so why is this photo on a piece of copper? What is it???

My other finds were:
*1963 Rosie dime & 1946 wheat
*Colonial crack pipe ;D (or part of an old gas lamp) :icon_scratch:
*Cuff button
*A few whats-its :dontknow:

That's all folks. Thanks for looking.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-031S.JPG
    MVC-031S.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,399
  • MVC-032S.JPG
    MVC-032S.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,389
  • MVC-033S.JPG
    MVC-033S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,371
  • MVC-034S.JPG
    MVC-034S.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,478
  • MVC-035S.JPG
    MVC-035S.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,563
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not bad for a Jack Wagon who whined about losing his rabbit's foot. Is that copper image advertising memorabilia? Very nice for what had to be short hunt. Did you feel the presence of CW Soldier's at lunch today. WTG, Quindy.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! :o Those are some great looking finds MM! :notworthy:
I really like that copper plate, no idea what it's use might have been though? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Not bad for a Jack Wagon who whined about losing his rabbit's foot. Is that copper image advertising memorabilia? Very nice for what had to be short hunt. Did you feel the presence of CW Soldier's at lunch today. WTGT, Quindy.

Q-
I had my lucky underwear on today. Lucky if they are clean that is. :tongue3: :laughing9: I was hoping it was going to be Marilyn Monroe on the photo , but I don't think she ever had to use a kitchen. :dontknow:

I did feel the presence of CW soldiers at lunch when I texted you. I was eating lunch looking out over the hilly yard area where I dug my first CW relics ever. Huge oaks, large stream below, then woods. Amazing to think that soldiers camped right there. :angel7:
-Dug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antiquarian said:
Wow! :o Those are some great looking finds MM! :notworthy:
I really like that copper plate, no idea what it's use might have been though? :icon_scratch:

Thanks. :thumbsup: When it came out of the ground it was actually curved and had a dent in one corner. You can see the crease on the back. It's pretty think and bent back into shape fairly easily. I'm glad it didn't snap in half. :o
-MM-

tlf67 said:
Interesting finds.

One of my strangest, that's for sure. ;D
-MM-

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
It might be a piece of a copper rotogravure printing plate. The image was etched into copper in the old days. The used copper plates were sometimes reused for flashing, etc., since they could only be used once for printing. That would also explain why it was curved, since the copper plate was in the form of a cylinder.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug I think the copper plate may have been used on a printing press :icon_scratch:
Nice finds on the rest :thumbsup:
Thanks for NOT showing the underwear :laughing7:...Jackwagon,I love that commercial...
Soup

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DougF said:
It might be a piece of a copper rotogravure printing plate. The image was etched into copper in the old days. The used copper plates were sometimes reused for flashing, etc., since they could only be used once for printing. That would also explain why it was curved, since the copper plate was in the form of a cylinder.

Very interesting. :icon_thumleft:
Thanks from one Doug to another.
Very unusual find for me. For some reason most of my finds (coins & this photo) all seem to fall in the 1940's and 50's.
Where's the OLD suff? :icon_scratch: ;D
-Dug-

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My thoughts exactly DougF,My uncle use to work at the local paper and was always bringing home the plates,there aluminum now..
He was to cheap to buy shingles and used them for roofing his little shed...
Soup

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soupie said:
My thoughts exactly DougF,My uncle use to work at the local paper and was always bringing home the plates,there aluminum now..
He was to cheap to buy shingles and used them for roofing his little shed...
Soup

Scott,
I could see that. My great-grandfather (a big collector & taxidermist) built his own small museum to house his stuff. He shingled the whole building with flattened tin cans. Check it out. I would hate to detect that spot today! :tongue3:
-Doug-

Attachments

• museum1939January8.jpg
    museum1939January8.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,335
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting finds, Dug. I don't know what some of those finds are, but if they clean up fairly well they will look good in a curio cabinet.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Pipe.... congrats ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldcoon said:
Interesting finds, Dug. I don't know what some of those finds are, but if they clean up fairly well they will look good in a curio cabinet.

Thanks Coon,
I'm actually going to make a display to give to the property owners as my appreciation for letting me detect there. They already have a few more properties (friends) in line for me. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

HISPAN said:
Nice Pipe.... congrats ! :thumbsup:

Thanks Hispan.
I wish it were a pipe. I'm still trying to find one of those old clay pipes like I've seen other on here dig.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread