Mother Mary Locket and Rosary!

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hello, I wanted to Post this find I made back near the end of November. I would have done it sooner, but just didn't get around to it :dontknow: This I have to consider my best find! At a small local park in the center of town, I decided on running a high sensitivity on my Ace 250. I got a signal that bounced between quarter and nickle on my meter and said about 8 inches. After about 5 inches, I lost the signal :icon_scratch: I decided to switch to relic mode and picked the signal back up again, except instead of a low iron tone, I got a good metal tone :icon_thumleft: Two more inches and I saw what I thought was a big silver button. I was seeing this from the back and when I flipped it over, I saw Mary on front. I saw a couple small links on top to let me know that this was a locket of some type that broke off a long while ago. I didn't look at it in detail until I got home. After a lite cleaning, I decided to try and open it to see if there was any information inside. It would open about 1/4 inch, and that's when I saw the rosary inside :headbang: Emptying it out, I saw APPACA Germany stamped inside, (German Silver). The rosary is beautiful and made out of the same metal. Since German silver is not silver at all, I was surprised at the beautiful shape it was in. My guess is maybe from the 1920's but not sure. Sure made my day :icon_sunny: Thanks for reading, Paul :coffee2:

Attachments

• IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 712
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_2231.JPG
    IMG_2231.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_2237.JPG
    IMG_2237.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 859
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTg and Please explain this thanks Chug

Since German silver is not silver at all, I was surprised at the beautiful shape it was in!!

OP
OP
pganjon

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Chug and Red said:
WTg and Please explain this thanks Chug

Since German silver is not silver at all, I was surprised at the beautiful shape it was in!!
Yes , German Silver is also called nickel silver, which is usually a formulation of 60% copper, 20% nickel, and 20% Zinc. Internet says it is considered a subset of Brass. I know, I was a little disappointed too, but it is cool that it survived well!

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
That is a way cool locket .....with the nickel for reference, really puts it in perspective. Great quality and a good find. So cool that you stayed with it and dug a maybe.

HH
gregd

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is why I love this site, Learning is Great!!!! Thank you for the Info!!! Chug!!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find but, I think it is real silver! HH, Mike

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find :icon_thumright: Very good detail on that piece for it's size. Congrats!!! Enjoyed the post, thanks for sharing and HH, BS

OP
OP
pganjon

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Bavaria Mike said:
Neat find but, I think it is real silver! HH, Mike
You may be right, I'm just going by whats stamped inside and the internet. I think some German silver items had a silver plating on them. Either way, Thanks everyone ! Paul :coffee2:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, That is a very special find and in perfect shape. Arty

amercer33

Nov 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a seminarian Mount Saint Mary's Seminary in Maryland. My Grandfather had one of these. Is there anyway you would be willing to sell this item? It would mean a lot if you could.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread