Three-Cent Silver Piece!

D

doyboy

I decided to do a little detecting today in the "productive" small park. So, I loaded up my "trusty" XL-Pro and headed off. While driving to the site, I was going over in my mind the areas in the park that I knew had a lot of "junk" signals. Before I got out of my car, I already knew where I was going in the park, and how I was going to approach the area. I turned my detector on, ground-balanced it, set the threshold, and started to sweep with full concentration. A minute after turning my detector on I soon got a hit that got my attention. It was a faint reading that read "all-over" my meter. But, since the target pinpointed at 6", I decided to dig it. I dug a plug, popped it off and proceeded to scoop the dirt out. I was down to about 6" when I saw a coin-sized object in the hole; my heart started to race . I reached my hand in carefully and grabbed the object. It was now in my palm, and that was when I knew what I had found;Oh My God, in my hand was an 1853 Three-cent silver piece(my 1st): WOW! I could not believe it. I had found this coin in a little under 2 mintues of turning my detector on. I am still waiting for the dream to end. I soon left after that and came home to clean it off. I will heading back to that same area in the park VERY soon.

Attachments

• 3-cent piece-F.jpg
    3-cent piece-F.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 724
  • 3-cent piece-B.jpg
    3-cent piece-B.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 722
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

doyboy

Actually, the coin was near a piece of junk, and that is why it read all-over the meter. Old coins in parks do not read perfectly, so I have my ear trained for them. The Pro-XL will go deep on coins and reads perfectly with no junk around. I am very "pleased" with my detector when it can find such a small coin at 6".

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really,realy sweet find!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Find db

Defunct Denominations are Cool & rare finds.

Congrats !
Jeff

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the many still on "my list to find".

Nice 3-center! :)

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Great find!! I couldn't wait to find one so I picked one up on e-bay a few months back. I thought maybe by putting one in the collection others would jump out of the ground and follow....didn't happen yet but I'm still lookin!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

DK

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
That is an extremely nice find IMO! I almost bought one last year but I havn't given up hope of finding one entirely yet. After seeing yours I am glad I passed on it. They are still out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread